I am one of the few that doesn't really buy the new conference adjustment factor

JTrain

Adjusting to the B1G  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the transition has a minor impact, not a major one. I said this in a different post, all these teams are new to us. We have to gameplan for 9 of them [will eventually be 12]. They only have to gameplan for 1. The philosophy is enough of a difference from the Big XII to the B1G.

It doesn't excuse anything, just makes it more understandable.

Not to mention the fact that some of them are sharing film and concepts with each other, and not with us.

Link?

linkpose.jpg

• Fire 1

If there is good evidence to support different hotels, "conference guidelines", and officiating styles having a somewhat significant impact on our poor performances this season, then I'm glad to hear that evidence. Simply saying "I'm right, just trust me (or you're a bigot)" isn't doing much for me.

You've focused on the hotels. How often do you stay in a hotel? Do you get the same night's sleep in a hotel that you get at home? Just curious.

That's such a person-person difference though, so it isn't exactly a good example. I tend to sleep the same no matter where I sleep as long as I'm feeling well.

If there is good evidence to support different hotels, "conference guidelines", and officiating styles having a somewhat significant impact on our poor performances this season, then I'm glad to hear that evidence. Simply saying "I'm right, just trust me (or you're a bigot)" isn't doing much for me.

You've focused on the hotels. How often do you stay in a hotel? Do you get the same night's sleep in a hotel that you get at home? Just curious.

That's such a person-person difference though, so it isn't exactly a good example. I tend to sleep the same no matter where I sleep as long as I'm feeling well.

True. But that was, apparently, his takeaway from my whole post of examples. I'm just continuing the conversation.

I think the transition has a minor impact, not a major one. I said this in a different post, all these teams are new to us. We have to gameplan for 9 of them [will eventually be 12]. They only have to gameplan for 1. The philosophy is enough of a difference from the Big XII to the B1G.

Not to mention the fact that some of them are sharing film and concepts with each other, and not with us.

Link?

linkpose.jpg

I mean...I would like to see or hear evidence of this.

Not that I doubt you, I just find cooperation in CFB to be a very interesting aspect of the game. What teams are doing this?

Well I wouldn't argue with because you clearly know best.

That's constructive. <_<

Well you can't exactly present facts about the matter, unless you have quotes from coaches saying that new hotels caused poor play (which I'd be glad to see). So it's just opinion versus opinion. The difference is that I state mine as opinion... you state yours as fact ("It has an effect.")

How many players and coaches have you talked to about this? Perhaps I've talked to more?

I'd be glad to hear what players have said if they have talked to you personally about this. I know you live in Lincoln and occasionally see players. Unfortunately you haven't shared anything of that nature with us in this thread. You've just said that it is so, and that's it. Forgive me for not taking your statements as fact without supporting evidence. The thread is to discuss, not just say, "This is the way it is, you just don't get it."

That's constructive. <_<

Well you can't exactly present facts about the matter, unless you have quotes from coaches saying that new hotels caused poor play (which I'd be glad to see). So it's just opinion versus opinion. The difference is that I state mine as opinion... you state yours as fact ("It has an effect.")

How many players and coaches have you talked to about this? Perhaps I've talked to more?

I'd be glad to hear what players have said if they have talked to you personally about this. I know you live in Lincoln and occasionally see players. Unfortunately you haven't shared anything of that nature with us in this thread. You've just said that it is so, and that's it. Forgive me for not taking your statements as fact without supporting evidence. The thread is to discuss, not just say, "This is the way it is, you just don't get it."

But that is just the way it is...don't you get it?

• Fire 1

I completely understand where you're coming from. But of course you know that I can't answer that question. I rarely talk about who/what I know, or talk to, or about, around town here. Sorry about that, but I'm just not going to get into it.

And I totally understand where you're coming from with the "...you just don't get it" quote. I'm not trying to say that at all, and I'm not trying to tell you that what I'm saying is FACT. It's an opinion, not my own, that I've run across. I apologize for bringing up stuff that I can't talk about.

I tend to sleep just fine as long as the pillows aren't horrible. But either way, the players stay at hotels for all away games (just like the Big 12) so the home vs. hotel isn't the match-up here. It's Hotel X vs. Hotel Y. And to me, staying at one hotel multiple times doesn't make you sleep better there.

Players are there for 4-5 years. At most they are staying at the same hotels three times, and more likely just two times in their college careers. How do you get familiar in that time? Hey, we stayed at this Waco Marriott the last time, so we will sleep much better now because we stayed here once two years ago. Doesn't make sense to me.

I just stayed at a hotel last night. If I were to come back to that hotel in 2013 would I get better sleep and job performance because I was familiar with it? Personally, no. Even if I had that incredible of a comfort memory, they could've changed pillows in that time anyway.

New opponents, new trends to understand, new officiating to get used to, new venues to get used to, new hotels, new conference guidelines.... there are about a zillion things we have to adjust to, not just "eleven new teams." Failing to take the whole into account is why people think switching conferences isn't a big deal. It is a big deal. You just don't deal with the details in your armchair.

Blocking. Tackling. Hotel familiarity.

I'm telling you. It has an effect. You don't have to believe me.

And after all, how would you expect our offensive line to out-muscle anyone when they've never stayed at a Hampton Inn before?

It's not just the hotels. It's traveling to a new city, on new routes, on a new itinerary. Not only that, but you have to get used to the other team's coaching philosophy, and also the style of play. Defensive Lines are smaller and quicker in the Big XII, so you need more athletic line play. It's the opposite in the B1G.

The new conference hasn't lost us any game, but is definitely a factor in our struggles

EDIT - to be fair, we have gotten some info. I shouldn't have said it like that.

Yeah, but when you're scheming for 9 different teams, that has to make some sort of difference.

You play 8, and Michigan has a new coach and new system they all have to plan for.

EDIT - to be fair, we have gotten some info. I shouldn't have said it like that.

Yeah, but when you're scheming for 9 different teams, that has to make some sort of difference.

You play 8, and Michigan has a new coach and new system they all have to plan for.

My bad, 8. Still we have to adjust more than they have to adjust for us. 1:7 is much tougher than 7:1. I'm not saying it's a major factor, it's not. But it isn't completely ignorable either, and has to have had some effect.

Differences that have an impact.

In the Big12, emphasis was more on high powered offenses and more pass oriented offenses. In the Big10, Defense is king and there's a lot more running due to the weather. Game plans have to adjust for this.

In the Big12, you only had to visit 1 stadium with a capacity of more than 100,000. In the Big10, you have 3. In terms of visiting and crowd noise, that can have an impact. It will take time to adjust to that as well.

When Nebraska joined, they had 11 new teams to learn to play against. The rest of the Big10 only had one new team to learn about. Now granted, there were a lot of new coaches so that helped with the transition. But on average, that is something to concern about when joining a new conference.