I am one of the few that doesn't really buy the new conference adjustment factor

JTrain

Adjusting to the B1G  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The travel and lodging logistics shouldn't even be brought into the discusion. Those are a non-issue for the players, and although I'm going blind on this, I doubt the coaches have much to do with these things either. Doesn't the university have someone who takes care of those issues as their main job? If I'm wrong on that part, my apologies.

I think there is something to preparing for different teams and their tendencies. When you play a team every year you get to the point where you know their tendancies and what they like to do. Your preparation is more to making adjustments, not having to do complete breakdowns to figure out whtat they do. We did eight new conference opponents to try to figure out what they like to do, I do think that makes a difference.

As to style of play, I really don't think that is such a big deal. We faced Russel Wilson and D Robinson this year, but we faced Brad Smith and Kordell Stewart in the past. Although the Big may not have the prototypical dropback QB this year (hard to rate Cousins with Landry/Wheeden for example), we've faced that type many times too. I just haven't seen the "more physical" type of ball we all heard we would face in the Big (other than Wisconsin). I think the majorty of college football has moved in the same direction offensively, and the majority of defenses adjust accordly. No one is putting something out there that we've never seen. It still comes down to execution on the field, no matter what conference you're playing in.

The change has been more mental than anything.

Agreed.

I would add to this discussion, mentally/emotionally -- it's different playing teams you haven't before from a players perspective.

When you can walk onto a field with past experience against a team and its players, it feels different than when you meet for the first time.

Little things like knowing the game speed, strength and tendencies of other players makes a difference in anticipation, confidence and your own ability to play fast.

Guys Penn State never won a conference championship before they joined the Big Ten, since then they've had three.....just saying...

Dude, how in the hell do you have 1300 posts. I have been here since 07 and youve been here since september. What, do you have nothing else better to do. I mean what the hell, are you posting 100 times a day.

Guys Penn State never won a conference championship before they joined the Big Ten, since then they've had three.....just saying...

Dude, how in the hell do you have 1300 posts. I have been here since 07 and youve been here since september. What, do you have nothing else better to do. I mean what the hell, are you posting 100 times a day.

Yes

If it bothers you I will post less

You hear it all the time in the NFL about how divisional matchups are more difficult because the teams are more familiar with each other. You know the coache's tendencies and certain player tendencies. The same is true in college. Bo is familiar with Snyder, Stoops, Brown and many of the coaches that have been there for a while. He's not familiar with the B1G coaches yet. It's like playing nothing but OOC games.

How about when a new coach is hired. Each team playing the new coach (and team) aren't sure what to expect. Bo just had to scheme against all new teams/coaches this season. That has to factor into the amount of work and gameplanning done by coach and team. Couple that with new assistant coaches and apparently new philosophies (corners playing off the reciever) and it's a tough mental haul...