Today's Presser

knapplc

On Sat I was pretty irritated with Bo. I then went and compared TO's and Bo's first four year records, thinking I would see that TO never lost to unranked teams nor ever lost by more than 20 points.

Turns out, TO did. He lost to unranked teams. He lost to lower ranked teams. He got his tail handed to him by several teams (OK for one).

That is perspective.

I DO think Bo has much to learn. And I remain frustrated with some of his decisions, his "us against everyone" mentality, his media/fan distrust, the lack of pass rush, the lack of offensive identity, personnel management, etc.

But, NU is far, far better than the BC era. Bo has 4 Winning records. 2 CCGs. (Likely) 2 New Years bowls.

It ain't 2007 OSU that is for sure.

Good recruiting numbers aren't always a reflection that you're recruiting what you need either. Getting seven 5-star RB's doesn't do much good if you recruit a couple of 2-star O-linemen that may not protect them.

Just ask Mack Brown.

http://rivals.yahoo....eams/nnd/roster

check it out, we have in the neighborhood of 75 kids from Nebraska on this roster.......how many would honestly be pursued by other B1G teams?

this is remniscent of Frank Solich recruiting.........Okafor, a total waste of scholarship.

We aren't having "poor recruiting." That's a myth, and I'm not sure where people are coming up with this. Bo's recruiting ranks so far:

2008 - 30

2009 - 28

2010 - 22

2011 - 15

At the moment we're ranked 49th by Rivals (where the above numbers came from), but this class is tiny and was always destined to be ranked lower.

Recruiting isn't the problem. It's coaching/developing talent, with a side order of getting the talent you recruit to produce on game day. We are clearly getting kids that should have us competing with pretty much anyone in the nation. We are simply not getting the results out of them.

It's the coaches. Not the recruits.

really? so all the nebraska kids playing for us every weekend were highly recruited across the nation? help me out here knapp....and no top 10 recruiting classes since Pelini has been here.........30 and 28 are poor.......49th is pitiful, no matter how small the class.

49th is our current rank. Coincidentally, it's not terribly far off from where we were this time last year when everyone was pressing the panic button. We turned out a fifteenth-ranked class, brought in Jamal Turner, Aaron Green, Ameer Abdullah... I'd say that was a decent class. Wait to bitch about this class when the players come in.

You can't bitch about the 2008 class - Pelini had a couple of months to cobble together a class. Not on him. As Junior mentioned, the other two classes are on par with TO's classes.

not true. last year we were sitting around #17 at this time (maybe even higher). you keep mentioning turner and green in threads - but both were committed by the end of October. Turner had been comitted for almost a year at this point. Jackson, Green, Santos, Sterup, Starling, Stafford, Klachko, Turner, Moore, Reeves, etc...all had been signed to the Huskers for months at this point last year. Those are the guys that gave us our ranking. Our late signings (after November 1st) actually brought our rankings down. Guys like Sutton, Bondi, Abdullah and Carter.

We aren't having "poor recruiting." That's a myth, and I'm not sure where people are coming up with this. Bo's recruiting ranks so far:

2008 - 30

2009 - 28

2010 - 22

2011 - 15

At the moment we're ranked 49th by Rivals (where the above numbers came from), but this class is tiny and was always destined to be ranked lower.

Recruiting isn't the problem. It's coaching/developing talent, with a side order of getting the talent you recruit to produce on game day. We are clearly getting kids that should have us competing with pretty much anyone in the nation. We are simply not getting the results out of them.

It's the coaches. Not the recruits.

really? so all the nebraska kids playing for us every weekend were highly recruited across the nation? help me out here knapp....and no top 10 recruiting classes since Pelini has been here.........30 and 28 are poor.......49th is pitiful, no matter how small the class.

If we're having to play walk-ons or "Nebraska" kids, instead of guys we recruit out of state, that's a reflection on poor player development and not the classes themselves. We've actually recruited to our needs, for the most part, and generally receive a lot of positive comments in regards to our classes even if they're not ranked very highly. Wait till the class is finalized before you make judgment.

Lastly, don't get too caught up in rankings. They're important, but T.O. often had classes rank in the 25-35 range on average.

http://rivals.yahoo....eams/nnd/roster

check it out, we have in the neighborhood of 75 kids from Nebraska on this roster.......how many would honestly be pursued by other B1G teams?

this is remniscent of Frank Solich recruiting.........Okafor, a total waste of scholarship.

how many are on scholarship? 5-6? those other 70ish players aren't impacting our 85 limit.

Exactly. There are far fewer Nebraska kids on the 105.

not true. last year we were sitting around #17 at this time (maybe even higher). you keep mentioning turner and green in threads - but both were committed by the end of October. Turner had been comitted for almost a year at this point. Jackson, Green, Santos, Sterup, Starling, Stafford, Klachko, Turner, Moore, Reeves, etc...all had been signed to the Huskers for months at this point last year. Those are the guys that gave us our ranking. Our late signings (after November 1st) actually brought our rankings down. Guys like Sutton, Bondi, Abdullah and Carter.

OK, so I stand corrected. Doesn't dispel the notion that this isn't a completed class yet. It's early to gripe about this class.

And Abdullah taking that class ranking down is a joke. If he did, that's on the rankers, not on the talent.

Here is something that is interesting:

Frank Solich:

1998 - 10-4: Losses to #18 Texas A&M(21-28), #20 Texas (16-20), #2 K-State(30-40), #5 Arizona(20-23)

1999 - 12-1: Loss to #18 Texas(20-24)

2000 - 10-2: Losses to #3 Oklahoma(14-31), #16 K-State(28-29)

2001 - 11-2: Losses to #14 Colorado(36-62), #1 Miami(14-37)

2002 - 7-7:...

2003 - 10-3: Losses to #10 Missouri(24-41), #16 Texas(7-31), #18 K-State(9-38) (Bo coached last game)

Bill Callahan:

2004 - 5-6

2005 - 8-4

2006 - 9-5

2007 - 5-7

Bo Pelini:

2008 - 9-4

2009 - 10-4

2010 - 10-4

2011 - 8-3 (as of 11/20/2011) We'll either end up at worse 8-5, or best case scenario 10-3...

Sorry, I really just hate seeing Bo compared to Bill Callahan.

• Fire 1

Well, this thought just popped into my head:

In one area, I believe Callahan actually trumped Pelini during his time at NU. Yeah, you read that right.

Callahan, at the end of his fourth year, at least had achieved one thing: consistency. Albeit consistency in the way we sucked, bad, but the same team showed up every week. At least we knew we were going to lose.

One thing that is so damn frustrating about Pelini is that it's really beginning to feel like we have to worry as fans about what NU squad is going to show up on a weekly basis. The good, grind it out, solid team, or the horrible, mistake prone, "we gon' get rolled" team.

The multiple personalities of our team is hard to deal with as fans.

OK, so I stand corrected. Doesn't dispel the notion that this isn't a completed class yet. It's early to gripe about this class.

And Abdullah taking that class ranking down is a joke. If he did, that's on the rankers, not on the talent.

agree - he just wasn't recruited by many until late. but i'm really starting to worry this class is looking more and more complete. recruiting isn't all about winning - but finishing strong (like in 09') helped propell that class...landing guys like Carnes and Cooper late - and almost got us Owa. losing (like in 10') almost halted recruiting. We ended up offering a questionable in-state guy, and a kicker to give Maher competition. you have to assume (based on every other year) that we'll lose 1 or 2 before February. so...hypothetically speaking - if we lose to Iowa with another poor defensive showing...are you as confident about landing these "big name" recruits as you were 17 days ago (pre-northwestern). back-to-back 1-3 finishes does not solidify a recruiting class, it put's it in serious jeopardy.

I'm not confident about landing any recruits right now, to be honest with you. There's the things Bo says, all of which sound good and right. But then there's the way Bo's teams play, and it's horrifying.

If I'm a recruit, I don't know how I justify those two things. And I don't know how I commit to a coach that is so all-over-the-place.

I think it's the talent level. Not the coaches. Bo is obviously a terrific coach. He has some, not all, good assistants. Other assistants not being good could be an issue with the development, but part of it has to be on players not working out, too.

There is the sense that the talent level has eroded over the years, I think especially on DL, which is weird, because by stars we have been alright there, or so I'd thought. But we need more hits, less misses, maybe more JUCOs at this point. Bo has been pretty good with his JUCOs, so that is promising.

But we're in real need of some talent infusion right now. To me it's also a bit hard to swallow that this will be yet another small class.

Let's not forget, it is not long ago that the way Bo's teams played was out-of-this world extraordinary.

Here's how I would look at it if I were a recruit. If I'm going to play on the defense, I'm salivating at becoming a Nebraska recruit. The defense has been rather dismal this year, so it means I might very well get a lot of playing time next year. Also, Bo has a knack of getting defensive players into the NFL which is the ultimate goal for most high powered recruits. If I'm going to play offense, I'd be very relunctant at coming to Nebraska unless I'm an OL recruit. Nobody has not only been able to unseat Martinez, but they haven't garnered any legitimate playing time either. The RB position is stacked unless there's transfers. The WR position should scare the ever living crap out of any incoming recruit.