Should Bo Pull Scholarships of Underachievers? Yes.

Just so you all know, Okafor is a pre-med major and has done extremely well academically. Yeah, he hasn't panned out on the football field, but he's represented the University well.

Great, then give him an academic scholly and let someone else have his football scholly. I do agree with everyone that pulling schollies would hurt recruiting. My biggest problem with our recruiting is how we completely load up positions with scholly players when you know there's no way that all of them can or will ever see the field. BC did it horribly at the QB position. Bo is doing it now with the RB position.

I'm sure if Bo did that then the "mouth breather" fans would yell at him for bing a coach who didn't honor commitments. I like that we give our kids 4 years. You'll always have a guy here or there that just wants a free lunch but by and large out guys work hard. I'll take a coach that doesn't run his guys off, educates them, makes them better people and ends up in that 8-4 to 10-2 range any day over a guy who medical redshirts 20-25 players over 4 years, or runs them off ala Mack Brown by making do sh#t jobs, drills, etc and telling them he'll never play them a down. Even our guys who have left to find more playing time, which has always happened over the years, feel good about their opportunities they were given. They realize maybe they didn't fit what was being asked or they were going to have to play a different spot to contribute but didn't want to. Most of the time its the players who can't see they have unrealistic expectations, which is common when you try to evaluate yourself objectively. Hell. . I'm the best dam employee I have despite the fact I'm on this board 10 minutes before lunch break when I should be finishing a sales order instead.

Where do you come up with the ideas for these threads? Do you pull them from a hat full of dumb ideas?

Its having tons of threads like this one that always kept me away from other boards like Huskerpedia. One or two ok. . but a board full of them kill a place.

But as dumb as they are...they're now where near the stupidity that exsists on Huskespot.com where the insiders get their "scoop" from the Husker Extra at the LJS.

Okay, I'll admit you guys make some good points. Maybe it's not a good idea. Just food for thought for a slow Tuesday.

Well, if everyone was honest and we all stopped lying to ourselves about the absurdity of an "amateur student athlete" while institutions, coaches, ESPN, and advertisers make $$$$$$ off of these "student athletes" than your points would be more than correct, unfortunately.

Just consider yourself way ahead of us college football addicted luddites.

I disagree with that. Most College Football programs are not self-funded, and only a few more than that get major TV time... Once you leave the realm of Blue Chip programs, the money made off the program, and its players, drops quickly. Programs like NU, LSU, etc, might make a ton off the talent on the field, in the end that is a small percent of all college scolly players, the rest are in it for a free, or at least heavily discounted, education, and, possibly, some local fame....

Okay, I'll admit you guys make some good points. Maybe it's not a good idea. Just food for thought for a slow Tuesday.

This has been a good post. Somebody called you out, but while I disagree with you, I've enjoyed the discussion. This forum would suck if ppl didn't post topic of conversation.

This seems simple to me. Pulling scholarships is wrong. Sitting down with players that are never likely to see the field and giving them an honest look at the big picture is not. If they make their own decision to transfer or give up football, great, if not, that's okay too, we're happy to have them.

Since so many on here seem vehemently opposed to ever pulling a scholarship, I have to ask in what situation do you think it would be ok to pull one?

Personally I think it would be ok in the rare case a player is not contributing in any manner whatsoever. Not because of injury but due to a severe lack of effort or attitude. I assume if a scholly player got kicked off the team that the scholly would also disappear. I wouldn't do it just because a guy didn't turn out to be all you thought he might. But I'm interested in what ya'll think.

Since so many on here seem vehemently opposed to ever pulling a scholarship, I have to ask in what situation do you think it would be ok to pull one?

Personally I think it would be ok in the rare case a player is not contributing in any manner whatsoever. Not because of injury but due to a severe lack of effort or attitude. I assume if a scholly player got kicked off the team that the scholly would also disappear. I wouldn't do it just because a guy didn't turn out to be all you thought he might. But I'm interested in what ya'll think.

Basically what I said.

If you have repeated violation of team rules, poor grades or multiple run ins with the law or even one major one . . .bye bye. If you're not being a good team mate then you shouldn't get represent that school.

If you have repeated violation of team rules, poor grades or multiple run ins with the law or even one major one . . .bye bye. If you're not being a good team mate then you shouldn't get represent that school.

This already happens... See Quentin Castille...

This seems simple to me. Pulling scholarships is wrong. Sitting down with players that are never likely to see the field and giving them an honest look at the big picture is not. If they make their own decision to transfer or give up football, great, if not, that's okay too, we're happy to have them.

Maybe the situations are different but this happens in baseball all the time. But like I said it could be different since baseball isn't even allowed enough scholarships to field a full team of starters.