A good read for everyone

Look, articles like these frustrate me. This isn't an "all or nothing" situation.

Just because a fan is critical of Bo doesn't mean she/he thinks Bo should be fired. Just because we criticize the game played doesn't mean we are, to paraphrase Will Compton, "the world."

I had concerns about Solich too, but I definitely didn't think he should have been fired in 2003 -- that staff deserved more time. And, frankly, I think that staff had some serious potential.

Bo will earn his contract or get fired all on his own.

But self righteous, passive aggressive junk like that is what really causes division.

• Fire 2

Sorry, didn't mean to shoot the messenger.

I just detest getting painted into black and white corners.

I also really dislike how Bo has cultivated a distrust and dislike of NU fans that serves no purpose and is entirely off base.

NU has good fans. NU has knowledgeable fans. Sometimes their critique is nonsense. Sometimes perhaps it is a bit too on target.

The writer is entitled to their position. As am I.

• Fire 1

Look, articles like these frustrate me. This isn't an "all or nothing" situation.

Just because a fan is critical of Bo doesn't mean she/he thinks Bo should be fired. Just because we criticize the game played doesn't mean we are, to paraphrase Will Compton, "the world."

I had concerns about Solich too, but I definitely didn't think he should have been fired in 2003 -- that staff deserved more time. And, frankly, I think that staff had some serious potential.

Bo will earn his contract or get fired all on his own.

But self righteous, passive aggressive junk like that is what really causes division.

Not sure he's talking about people just being critical towards Bo. He's speaking about people calling for Bo's head. Which has been evident even on this board ALL year long...hell even after wins. That's who's he's speaking of.

Best line in the whole article... "Which leads you to wonder, do Husker fans even know a good coach when they see one?". My guess mainly NO. Unless they win a NC, the fans he's speaking of will think coaches are bums.

"So why should two bad losses and one close one to a bad team mean that Pelini can't be successful at Nebraska? It doesn't have to. Not to slander the departing seniors, but look at the class that's about to leave. Lavonte David and Alfonzo Dennard will be missed. Jared Crick is already missed. Beyond that, there's also a handful of nice contributors. But relative to what other schools are about to lose, it's really not that much. With so much coming back from an 8, 9, or 10-win team (against one of the toughest schedules in the country) plus some new talent coming off their first spring in the program, next season could be a very strong one. It will be another tough schedule to navigate, but in some ways it will be kinder. Wisconsin (without Russell Wilson), Michigan, and Penn State all must come to Lincoln. Do this year's games in Madison or Ann Arbor really have any bearing on what will happen next season?"

This is the point I have been trying to make the whole time after the Michigan loss (just couldn't put it into words as well as he did). He does his work and sets it right out on the table. People need to stop panicking. If we go 10-3 with the current team we have, that is quite impressive seeing how many young athletes we have as starters. For the first time this season, I will say the cliche statement, THE FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT.

"So why should two bad losses and one close one to a bad team mean that Pelini can't be successful at Nebraska? It doesn't have to. Not to slander the departing seniors, but look at the class that's about to leave. Lavonte David and Alfonzo Dennard will be missed. Jared Crick is already missed. Beyond that, there's also a handful of nice contributors. But relative to what other schools are about to lose, it's really not that much. With so much coming back from an 8, 9, or 10-win team (against one of the toughest schedules in the country) plus some new talent coming off their first spring in the program, next season could be a very strong one. It will be another tough schedule to navigate, but in some ways it will be kinder. Wisconsin (without Russell Wilson), Michigan, and Penn State all must come to Lincoln. Do this year's games in Madison or Ann Arbor really have any bearing on what will happen next season?"

This is the point I have been trying to make the whole time after the Michigan loss (just couldn't put it into words as well as he did). He does his work and sets it right out on the table. People need to stop panicking. If we go 10-3 with the current team we have, that is quite impressive seeing how many young athletes we have as starters. For the first time this season, I will say the cliche statement, THE FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT.

Well, you (and the writer) are glass half full (and the writer's may be full of Jack).

I see losing the 2 best defenders (by far) off of a very mediocre defense and I only see large voids. The writer says that it "it's really not much" and I say he is ridiculous.

There will certainly be "opportunity" for players to step up. We can agree on that.

I don't follow any OU boards, but I'd have to think OU fans did not handle their loss to TT at home well at all. I'd venture to guess their meltdown mode was worse than anything we've seen here this year.

Yep, they melt down, and yep, they demand Stoops' head every year or two.

It kinda reminds me of that old saying about a pretty girl: "No matter how hot you think she is, some guy is sick of putting up with her _____."

The thing is that I bet most of the OU fans 80%+ weren't calling for Stoops head. I bet they were calling for Venables head and rightly so. They hate him down there. I'd say OU fans hate Venables as much if not more than Texas fans hated Davis last year. I'd also bet they created thread after thread elated when Mike Stoops got fired because they're all hoping brother Bob brings him back to OU as DC next year.

I like your enthusiasm. The future bright....

Yes, NU returns a lot of the starters that are on the offense. And Taylor should improve. As should the line. All the WR'ers come back except one. OK sounds good.

The defense, however, loses Crick, Dennerd, and David... that is big.

The problems holding NU from being competitive are

a) lack of player fundamentals (blocking, shedding blocks, defensive assignment execution, tackling, dropping passes) --- this may improve with experience... but this is more a coaching problem than anything else (though the coaching in this realm may improve)

and

b) lack of fire, lack of physicality, lack of focus and effort throughout a game --- playing 4 quarters, irrespective of score with passion and focus has been missing --- this is a problem that is likely not a function of player experience and is not likely to change (or, if it does, the change will be attitudinal and not connected to experience). So, improvement in this area is an unknown

Will NU be better next year than this year? I am not sure. Perhaps. But improvement over this season has not be evident --- or in going from last season to this one. So.... I am not certain..

A bright future, I suppose, is in part dependent upon how you define bright. For me, I see NU again, as has been the case the past few years --- next year ending up somewhere between #3 and #5 in the conference and finish again somewhere between #20 and #30 nationally. Any prediction substantially more "bright" than that seems somewhat unwarranted.

That said, if NU coaches can motivate these players and get them to play to their potential... then improvement could be marked. So... it all depends upon the coaching. Get these kids prepared and fired up and a finish much better than I stated earlier is possible. It is just that no evidence that this staff can do that exists as of yet. That is why I'd, generally and this far in advance, predict much the same for NU as this and past years.

I like your enthusiasm. The future bright....

Yes, NU returns a lot of the starters that are on the offense. And Taylor should improve. As should the line. All the WR'ers come back except one. OK sounds good.

The defense, however, loses Crick, Dennerd, and David... that is big.

The problems holding NU from being competitive are

a) lack of player fundamentals (blocking, shedding blocks, defensive assignment execution, tackling, dropping passes) --- this may improve with experience... but this is more a coaching problem than anything else (though the coaching in this realm may improve)

and

b) lack of fire, lack of physicality, lack of focus and effort throughout a game --- playing 4 quarters, irrespective of score with passion and focus has been missing --- this is a problem that is likely not a function of player experience and is not likely to change (or, if it does, the change will be attitudinal and not connected to experience). So, improvement in this area is an unknown

Will NU be better next year than this year? I am not sure. Perhaps. But improvement over this season has not be evident --- or in going from last season to this one. So.... I am not certain..

A bright future, I suppose, is in part dependent upon how you define bright. For me, I see NU again, as has been the case the past few years --- next year ending up somewhere between #3 and #5 in the conference and finish again somewhere between #20 and #30 nationally. Any prediction substantially more "bright" than that seems somewhat unwarranted.

That said, if NU coaches can motivate these players and get them to play to their potential... then improvement could be marked. So... it all depends upon the coaching. Get these kids prepared and fired up and a finish much better than I stated earlier is possible. It is just that no evidence that this staff can do that exists as of yet. That is why I'd, generally and this far in advance, predict much the same for NU as this and past years.

so, mediocracy is the likely future? i would agree, everyone OK with that?