All this talk of Mike Stoops as DC, I dunno. It would be a step down for him. He actually did pretty well At Arizona, considering what he started with. In the three years before Stoops took over, Arizona won a grand total of 3 games. Stoops won 23 games this past three years, and took them to 3 bowls. I think Mike Stoops gets the nod as HC somewhere. There are quite a few vacancies to fill. That said, he would be a HUGE get for us as DC. I just don’t see it happening.

Your point is valid. Perhaps another way to look at it though is maybe he wants a change of pace for now. In a few years he can pursue another BCS opening when he feels ready to be "head honcho" again.

True enough. But if somebody wants *less* stress in their life, they probably don't take a job working for Bo Pelini.

LOL. Well change of pace isn't synonymous with less stress. I meant from an administrative standpoint or lack thereof.

i wonder if the fact we whipped up on Stoops Arizona team in the Holiday bowl a couple years ago will have anything to do with his decision if he does get offered, not saying that will factor in his decision at all, but it might have left a bad taste in his mouth, idk just a thought

No because his team played like crap and he knows it. Plus he has first hand knowledge of how good our defense can be.

All this talk of Mike Stoops as DC, I dunno. It would be a step down for him. He actually did pretty well At Arizona, considering what he started with. In the three years before Stoops took over, Arizona won a grand total of 3 games. Stoops won 23 games this past three years, and took them to 3 bowls. I think Mike Stoops gets the nod as HC somewhere. There are quite a few vacancies to fill. That said, he would be a HUGE get for us as DC. I just don’t see it happening.

Your point is valid. Perhaps another way to look at it though is maybe he wants a change of pace for now. In a few years he can pursue another BCS opening when he feels ready to be "head honcho" again.

True enough. But if somebody wants *less* stress in their life, they probably don't take a job working for Bo Pelini.

LOL. Well change of pace isn't synonymous with less stress. I meant from an administrative standpoint or lack thereof.

Well, that would be true. Stoops would have a LOT more support from the AD dept and NU admin than at Arizona. Besides, I have my doubts that Bo would light into Mike Stoops. I don't think Stoops would put up with the temper tantrum thing.

Well, that would be true. Stoops would have a LOT more support from the AD dept and NU admin than at Arizona. Besides, I have my doubts that Bo would light into Mike Stoops. I don't think Stoops would put up with the temper tantrum thing.

I've already posted my thoughts on the possibility of Stoops on staff in this thread. Basically saying when the pressure is on, friendship takes a backseat and nobody is immune from a Bo Pelini butt chewing when the clock on the field is ticking. That's the question I have as far as weighing risk vs. reward in whether to hire Stoops or not?

It's one thing to butt heads with your brother, but it's quite another to butt heads with your friend. Stoops having already been a head coach elsewhere makes the dynamic that much more interesting.

Man, is it just me or are there an unusually high number of firings in college football this year? Maybe it's a normal amount...I don't know. Hope we can capitalize on it with some big upgrades to our staff. There are at least 3 unemployed coaches out there right now who I'd love to see find a spot on NU's staff. I didn't feel that way last year I can guarantee you. Neither did Bo I'm guessing just by looking at who all he brought in...pretty underwhelming if you ask me. I know I'm dreaming, but if we could figure out a way to get these guys on staff, I'd say open up the purse strings to make it happen...

Stoops - - Defensive genius, the Stoops name, should know the B1G landscape given his roots, Bo's friend

Gill - - Offensive option genius, help with quarterbacks, Nebraska guy - could be his final destination, I'm assuming Bo's friend - definitely TO's friend

Zook - - Recruiting genius, knows the B1G landscape, not sure of his relationship with Bo

I know all of these guys are just coming off head coaching jobs, so the thought of all of them ending up as position coaches is pretty slim...especially at one place. But I doubt any of them is seriously considered for any descent head coaching jobs as they are all coming off of perceived failures at mid-low level head coaching jobs already. And we could get pretty creative with some job titles if we have to...co-coordinators, assistant head coach, associate head coach, etc. Plus two of the 3 have serious ties to the program. I'd take all 3 over any of our current assistants in just about any capacity.

Everyone needs to get off of the "Gill to Nebraska" kick.... It is amusing how so much of us think that because Gill is a Nebraska guy, Bo will/should bring him back. Bo doesn't give a Sh*t if Gill is a Nebraska guy. Bo and Gill aren't friends, never were, and Bo couldn't care less about Nebraska "ties".

Bo is a Nebraska type of guy, but he is not a Nebraska guy....Gill isn't coming to Nebraska, and I'm not so sure he would bring anything to the table.

And you know this because........

I don't know how most of you guys feel about coaching changes.

But to me, no matter who it is that gets hired, they seem like set backs for the program. In one way, shape or form. Coaching changes are set backs for a program. I believe when you bring a new coach in or promote a coach to a different position, there is a learning curve for not only the coach in that position but the players as well. it's probably easier when its in house stuff, but i don't think we escape this off-season with out making a new hire.

With the high expectations of Husker fans for next year and so on, I just don't see a positive side to coaching changes right now.

But i guess at the end of the day, college football coaching is a business.

Chemistry on the staff and with the players takes some time, but new blood can bring new things that you can add onto what the old coach was doing. New ideas, new techniques, etc. Hopefully he won't throw away things that were working, but has a new approach in fixing what wasn't. Doesn't always work that way, but it can.

I think that in the event we do get Mike Stoops, his defensive coaching style won't be much different. They all learned under the same guy: Mike's Dad Stoops Sr. So, I agree with robsker-it will be more of a transition.

Man, is it just me or are there an unusually high number of firings in college football this year? Maybe it's a normal amount...I don't know. Hope we can capitalize on it with some big upgrades to our staff. There are at least 3 unemployed coaches out there right now who I'd love to see find a spot on NU's staff. I didn't feel that way last year I can guarantee you. Neither did Bo I'm guessing just by looking at who all he brought in...pretty underwhelming if you ask me. I know I'm dreaming, but if we could figure out a way to get these guys on staff, I'd say open up the purse strings to make it happen...

Stoops - - Defensive genius, the Stoops name, should know the B1G landscape given his roots, Bo's friend

Gill - - Offensive option genius, help with quarterbacks, Nebraska guy - could be his final destination, I'm assuming Bo's friend - definitely TO's friend

Zook - - Recruiting genius, knows the B1G landscape, not sure of his relationship with Bo

I know all of these guys are just coming off head coaching jobs, so the thought of all of them ending up as position coaches is pretty slim...especially at one place. But I doubt any of them is seriously considered for any descent head coaching jobs as they are all coming off of perceived failures at mid-low level head coaching jobs already. And we could get pretty creative with some job titles if we have to...co-coordinators, assistant head coach, associate head coach, etc. Plus two of the 3 have serious ties to the program. I'd take all 3 over any of our current assistants in just about any capacity.

Everyone needs to get off of the "Gill to Nebraska" kick.... It is amusing how so much of us think that because Gill is a Nebraska guy, Bo will/should bring him back. Bo doesn't give a Sh*t if Gill is a Nebraska guy. Bo and Gill aren't friends, never were, and Bo couldn't care less about Nebraska "ties".

Bo is a Nebraska type of guy, but he is not a Nebraska guy....Gill isn't coming to Nebraska, and I'm not so sure he would bring anything to the table.

I could care less if Gill's a Nebraska guy either and I know Bo doesn't. But TO does and last I checked, he signs Bo's paycheck.

As to whether or not Gill would bring anything to the table...are you kidding me? He's not Head Coach at a major program material, he may not even be Coordinator at a major program material, but he brings a lot to the table. He forgot more about option football than most people ever knew. Him being a Nebraska guy, although not a necessity, is definitely not a bad thing. And from everything I've ever heard, he's a hell of a guy and that's never a bad thing either.

Anyone that says Gill has nothing to bring to the table doesn't know Turner Gill. He is not only has an excellent offensive mind-quarterback mind but he is one heck of a recruiter. He's also a quality individual who can continue the building of character in our young men. THAT is worth more than winning football any day because it will take them far in life long after they hang up their cleats!

This whole topic annoys me. when and I mean when....did we ever hear of osborne's staff leaving for a better gig....or opportunity. TO took good care of his coaches. It's about loyalty and it's all gone. Good riddance if this is true. Can't fault him...but damn..what's next??? Bo leaves for better gig....we start all over....I want Nebraska guys who want to stay here for the duration. Not jump ship at better opportunities. That is what has made our program what it is...or was before callahan! This sux!

In short, Carl is replaceable, but I do not think that JP is the guy....

What possible rational reason would there be to hire JP? He has never before done the job. Why hire a guy who has never been there when you can hire one who has been there and has performed very well while there? Man... I hope Bo does not make that mistake again and take that risk --- it is not necessary (or, at least, I think it is not necessary).

Hire someone who has been good elsewhere.

How would anyone else have had a chance to be good elsewhere if someone somewhere didnt give them a shot to succeed? This is the typical "must win right now" society we live in. Why cant we develop a good system and no matter what coach leaves someone will be able to step up and teach bo's system? Not saying this system is going to work....but its exactly whats happening.....the "process"

Bo isnt going to bring in someone that wants to run what they know how to run. Why would he bring in Stoops and say...you have to run my scheme now, when he can just promote someone who already knows the system and will coach the players according to the scheme he wants to run. Bo is going to run his scheme and run the D the way he wants it run, only way to do that is hire/promote someone that will run his scheme they way he wants it run, with no conflict/drama involved.

Hire someone like Bo that thinks their system is the best, and you get a pissing match when things go bad (D at times this year)

With what you posted below...

"Bo isnt going to bring in someone that wants to run what they know how to run. Why would he bring in Stoops and say...you have to run my scheme now, when he can just promote someone who already knows the system and will coach the players according to the scheme he wants to run. Bo is going to run his scheme and run the D the way he wants it run, only way to do that is hire/promote someone that will run his scheme they way he wants it run, with no conflict/drama involved. Hire someone like Bo that thinks their system is the best, and you get a pissing match when things go bad (D at times this year)"

... you perfectly defined a micro-manager --- the type who is too proud, too self absorbed to let those beneath them do their job. A HC is to play the role that he was hired for --- to be a Head Coach. Be a head coach. Hire a DC and turn them loose --- and focus on being what you are paid to be --- a HC. There are tons of people out there who know defense well... just as well as our current HC.

Micro-managers rarely are good for the organization or the people they serve. I am not saying that Bo is such --- what I am saying is that anyone who thinks as you described in your post... well such a perspective is not likely to lead to anything overly good.

Do you think there are exceptions to this rule? TO was HC/OC and he did just fine. But you did say 'rarely'

This whole topic annoys me. when and I mean when....did we ever hear of osborne's staff leaving for a better gig....or opportunity.

Kevin Steele, Monte Kiffin, Warren Powers, Jerry Moore, Bill Myles, Tony Samuel. Just to name a few assistant coaches who left Osborne for other opportunities, both early in Osborne's career and late in his career.

what are the chances of stoops actually coming here? i guess i just dont see him coming here, i think he will be skeptic due to the fact that bo is a defensive guru and probably wont give him alot of freedom when it comes to creating his own schemes and installing his kind of defense. i am a big big bo supporter but i think he might be one of those guys that could be kinda hard to work for, especially on the defensive side of the ball, cuz if he doesnt like what your doing he will take over the play calling, and i just dont ever see him doing that on offense.

They've worked together before plus they grew up together. Their families are very close. I think Bo would be able to relax knowing that Mike will run Bo's kind of defense because it's Mike's kind of defense too. Mike's Dad taught them both. So I don't think we have to worry about Bo looking over his shoulder. :)