Did Bo sound "defeated"

HANC

Nailed it.

I think he sounded like a guy who just finished a run in which the game was played with an unfair deck in a conference under Beebe's Lusitania leadership last year, and then jumped into this season in which he had to prepare for 12 teams (including the bowl) that we did not face last year, who all feature a different style of play, all while juggling major setbacks in terms of injuries to key, vital players all year long.

I don't know what some of you expected out of this season, but I'd encourage you to incorporate some reason into your rationale. I swear to god, if I wasn't there to see us win today I'd think we lost handily by some of the posts I'm reading on the board.

If we get 10 wins out of this season I'd consider it a rousing success. I want championships, just like any other fan. I just don't expect them to fall into our laps every year because "we're Nebraska." That's not enough. Things need to fall into place just so to rise to the pinnacle of college football, and if you scoff at that then feel free to refer back to Columbia, Missouri 1997.

I think this guy can get us there. Just my 2 Rubles.

There was a qoute by a player. This is what concerns me. " Hey we won 9 games this season,that is a pretty darn good season!" Is that what Nebraska has come to? I know things have changed on the college landscape. But really you win 9 games and it is a pretty darn good season? Is that the mentallity of the players now? Honestly, players should be looking at themselves in the mirror for next year or get out of the way. 2 self destruction games and I did miss most of the NU VS HUSKER GAME. But I am really nervous the big ten culture of rose bowl will start to set in. NU just beat the huskers that day hands down. Wisconsin we can look at the 5 minute period and the michigan game and only point the finger at ourselves. Granted I should not say "Ourselves" we were drinking beer and cheering,but I think you get the point.

HA! Good point. Whenever someone ask who our main rival is just point to a mirror!

On defense if you look at all the injuries to key guys... Dennard out for the first several games....Crick hurt in preseason, no one knows what that injury was...then torn pectoral, Rome gets hurt, Randle gets hurt, Osborne and Smith rarely play?...Fisher was an absolute BUST....Then today against a team that Martin would have been a huge help/force he is out.

I think Bo meant the team had to overcome a lot of these things, and the injuries played a big role in the season, and it was a grind. I think he was very disappointed in the overall play in several games, and only now are we seeing what the team was capable of. If we can get Martin back for the bowl game we should have a pretty decent defense on display, hopefully it won't be against an athletic QB ;)

Well said sir. Heh....Bo didn't have it easy this year, that's for sure. Watching "his" blackshirts getting run over couldn't have been much fun.

Lots of upsides but maybe the best is that the last two year's good recruiting should start to help him.

GBR!!

Just asking opinions.... I am not suggesting anything or trying to start anything...

Bo mentioned ...... paraphrased..... that in Nebraska, many fans measure success with trophies and championships, but in his mind there is more than trophies when it comes to "winning".... he said that he was proud of his guys, and the trophies didn't necessarily mean everything.

He also mentioned that it was a "difficult and long" year....

-- This doesn't sound like the old Bo that we have seen or heard. Typically, he would come out and as blunt as possible and say something to the effect of ... "We didn't win the division or reach our goals, so basically we have a lot to fix"

** in fact, he said that he LIKED where the program is RIGHT NOW !!

(Being a coach, I understand what he means by there is more to winning than just trophies).....BUT, this isn't Bo !!!

Any reaction here ?

I think he's saying that

1) he knew this year was going to be really rough, see Carl's "it feels like year 1" comments

2) it could have been a lot worse and he probably stressed about the future at times

3) it was something to build on and he's feeling good about next year

4) in light of 1 and 2, not trying to trivialize the accomplishments of his senior class

I personally wouldn't read too much into it. Nothing I've seen from Bo has made me think he's lost his competitive edge. They made mistakes this year and he knows it. The staff and team even paid for mistakes they made years ago. What he wasn't going to do was take away from his players' day, especially the seniors, because to him it's about THEM.

I think he sounded like a guy who just finished a run in which the game was played with an unfair deck in a conference under Beebe's Lusitania leadership last year, and then jumped into this season in which he had to prepare for 12 teams (including the bowl) that we did not face last year, who all feature a different style of play, all while juggling major setbacks in terms of injuries to key, vital players all year long.

I don't know what some of you expected out of this season, but I'd encourage you to incorporate some reason into your rationale. I swear to god, if I wasn't there to see us win today I'd think we lost handily by some of the posts I'm reading on the board.

If we get 10 wins out of this season I'd consider it a rousing success. I want championships, just like any other fan. I just don't expect them to fall into our laps every year because "we're Nebraska." That's not enough. Things need to fall into place just so to rise to the pinnacle of college football, and if you scoff at that then feel free to refer back to Columbia, Missouri 1997.

I think this guy can get us there. Just my 2 Rubles.

Well said buddy, well said.

I didn't see a man that was defeated. I saw a man that was just plain worn out. He is involved in every aspect of the game day in and day out as are the rest of the coaches and all of the players. They need a well deserved rest. I really hope Bo is faithful to what he expressed to the media about 'plopping his butt on the couch and taking it easy today.' Get some rest Bo-get some rest players/coaches-you're going to need it for the bowl game. GO BIG RED!

This don't sound like the same Bo as when he was hired. Accepting a 9-3 season? Not winning your division? Not winning the B1G? This is all acceptable? If that is the case, I have a serious case of buyers remorse, because this isn't what I thought we were buying into.

These are now Bo's players, Bo's coaches...what are we waiting for now?

Having a Defense that is ranked 42nd in the country? Really? This is the Blackshirts? Really? And if you look at the depth charts for next year...it don't look any better at all.

Realistically, there is a lot more work to be done. Everyone knows that. But we do have to see progress. And there are area's where I feel like I am looking at where we were last year, or the year before...like the O-line. They act like they just don't get it, until towards the end of the year, then they seem to clue in. This year they still don't look like they "get it", or they just don't have the ability to do the job of opening holes. Burkhead seems to be the only back that can get past the line. Is that because they are opening holes only for him, or is it a result of HIS abilities? I say the latter.

There are plenty of other areas that are coming up short also. But the O-line is a huge one, and I think it is because Cotton don't have a clue himself. If I were going to get rid of any coach, it would be him. He just isn't cutting it. There is NO improvement from when Callahan was here. It is like there is no coaching going on, they just show up on Saturday.

I know I sound harsh...but I am calling it like I see it.