Rumblings of Player Transfer

Landlord

These are different times. 20 years ago a player trasfering due to being unhappy with playing time was rare, these days much more prevalent. Can you really blame someoene like Carnes for looking elsewhere when he barely saw mop-up duty and the guy in front of him has two more years of eligibility?

Actually it was pretty common then too you just didn't hear about it. The public knew about very few players on the team other than maybe the starters and a back up or two that saw playing time. Information about the team was actually sent out by boosters to other boosters via a fax report that you'd get usually on Fridays. Most all of the information came out of the athletic department and you had a pretty good idea who was performing well, who was injured, who was in trouble, what the coaches might do to stop the next team, etc. Now days a lot of that stuff is on the message boards and a lot of stuff gets exaggerated.

But to your point, I know of one LB from AZ back in late 90's that was like a sophmore. He dreamed of NFL fame and of course thought he wasn't getting played because he was "white" of all things. You know....bunch of racist coaches we have./sarcasm. Anyway he worked his way up from 5th string to more or less co #2 by the end of spring and had a good spring game but wasn't going to be named starter because the other guy in front of him was older and a stud but they told him he'd see some time in games as that 2/3 guy. He transfered out to Northern Iowa so he could prove the coaches he'd be a star. I don't think he ever became a starter there in either of his last two years, where he probably would have progressed here and seen good time as a Sr.

It's unfortunate that Carnes didn't get more playing time. I realize theres an injury factor to it, like anything football related, but you would think there would be a way to get Carnes in a few plays a game. Wouldn't have to be at QB, but maybe spread out wide to catch a reverse and throw, keep, etc. At least that way the kid could get some PT and feel like a bigger part of the design. Incorporate him into an option play like the handoff to Rex with a pitch to Abdullah, etc. Just something, throw the kid a bone.

Hell, a play like that could mean the difference between winning and losing in a close game.

If he's one of the better athletes on the team, which he probably is, then find ways to get him out there.

He looked great in the spring game. I know I know its just a spring game but I know what i saw with my own two eyes that day. I saw a kid that could make this offense even better than it was.

Sounds very likely that Brion is leaving the team. I have to say that disappoints me quite a bit. This staff has done a very poor job at developing the young talent on this team. Playing time is a big part of player development. There was opportunities this year to do that, and these coaches chose not to. I don't pretend to know the reasons why, but Bo is so closed mouth and misleading with people that is kind of pisses me off that we may never know why he chose to waste the years of 3 incoming freshman, and also chose to waste a year of helping develop a BACKUP QB! I hate to break it to you Pelini and Co. but your savior Taylor Martinez is not going to be here forever. I know you already have him pegged as the starter for the next two seasons. Hell Bo used to preach up and down how every position is an open and ongoing battle to be won in practice. That has not been true for Taylor. Hell your not even allowed to talk about Taylor without Bo getting his panties wadded up and acting childish. Who else does he defend like that? I will say, I like Pelini, I hope he coaches here a long time, but the handling of playing time this year has been very very unfortunate. We have a lot of very talented players on this team who are not seeing enough playing time. Brion is one of them, and I know this might ruffle some feathers, but I've seen Brion play, and I hate to break it to you Martinez kool aid drinkers, but Brion is a better dual threat QB than Martinez will ever be. Now Brion may not understand the offense the way Martinez does, but you can't tell me it looked like Martinez even had a great grasp of it. So I don't really buy into that argument at all. What we executed maybe 5 different plays worth a crap all year. Without Rex Burkhead this team would have gone nowhere. Then instead of giving Burkhead some help when we burned a season of Ameer's, Braylons, and Aaron's career, we then suddenly rarely saw the kids again. Braylon looked amazing nearly every time he touched the ball! You can't tell me with Ameer's abilities that he couldn't be used all over the field. Hell we trusted the kid with punt and kick return duties but he wasn't good enough to get on the field anywhere else a few times a game? Then Jamal Turner completely loses a year of football. He moves to wideout for the team and the coaches and for what? So the coaches could say he wasn't working hard enough? He made the move for you guys? That wasn't a sacrifice on his part? Somehow he's not good enough to see the field, but Brandon Kinnie was? I like Kinnie but the guy deserved to take some sideline break and get his focus back. He dropped damn near everything that came his way this year. He made it clear that he wants a shot at QB. Will he ever get it? I don't know. Alonzo Whaley came in a made plays immediately, how often did he get to see the field? Corey Cooper played a few plays, then never sees the field again. Then another big line of bullsh#t coming out of the program was the Stanley Jean Baptiste thing. The kid gets on the field, makes an interception in his first game. The ensuing week we get to hear that the guy has learned the cb position in just 3 weeks time. He is all of a sudden listed as a starter on this team at corner, then where did he go? He made a play, so he gets the boot? Pelini cried all year about execution and making plays, I don't want to hear it. We have guys who are playmakers on this team, guys with real athletic ability. They don't get on the field.

Brion, I hope you stay man. Your better than Martinez and I hope you get a shot to prove it. I hope that shot comes before we sit the next two years with Martinez getting all the snaps.

I know Tommie Frazier might have a biased opinion on this, and his opinions are usually strong. I hate to tell some of you though, if you listen to him, he is usually right. Here is a link to Tommie's show where he discusses some of this.

http://vimeo.com/32827416

• Fire 1

Sounds very likely that Brion is leaving the team. I have to say that disappoints me quite a bit. This staff has done a very poor job at developing the young talent on this team. Playing time is a big part of player development. There was opportunities this year to do that, and these coaches chose not to. I don't pretend to know the reasons why, but Bo is so closed mouth and misleading with people that is kind of pisses me off that we may never know why he chose to waste the years of 3 incoming freshman, and also chose to waste a year of helping develop a BACKUP QB! I hate to break it to you Pelini and Co. but your savior Taylor Martinez is not going to be here forever. I know you already have him pegged as the starter for the next two seasons. Hell Bo used to preach up and down how every position is an open and ongoing battle to be won in practice. That has not been true for Taylor. Hell your not even allowed to talk about Taylor without Bo getting his panties wadded up and acting childish. Who else does he defend like that? I will say, I like Pelini, I hope he coaches here a long time, but the handling of playing time this year has been very very unfortunate. We have a lot of very talented players on this team who are not seeing enough playing time. Brion is one of them, and I know this might ruffle some feathers, but I've seen Brion play, and I hate to break it to you Martinez kool aid drinkers, but Brion is a better dual threat QB than Martinez will ever be. Now Brion may not understand the offense the way Martinez does, but you can't tell me it looked like Martinez even had a great grasp of it. So I don't really buy into that argument at all. What we executed maybe 5 different plays worth a crap all year. Without Rex Burkhead this team would have gone nowhere. Then instead of giving Burkhead some help when we burned a season of Ameer's, Braylons, and Aaron's career, we then suddenly rarely saw the kids again. Braylon looked amazing nearly every time he touched the ball! You can't tell me with Ameer's abilities that he couldn't be used all over the field. Hell we trusted the kid with punt and kick return duties but he wasn't good enough to get on the field anywhere else a few times a game? Then Jamal Turner completely loses a year of football. He moves to wideout for the team and the coaches and for what? So the coaches could say he wasn't working hard enough? He made the move for you guys? That wasn't a sacrifice on his part? Somehow he's not good enough to see the field, but Brandon Kinnie was? I like Kinnie but the guy deserved to take some sideline break and get his focus back. He dropped damn near everything that came his way this year. He made it clear that he wants a shot at QB. Will he ever get it? I don't know. Alonzo Whaley came in a made plays immediately, how often did he get to see the field? Corey Cooper played a few plays, then never sees the field again. Then another big line of bullsh#t coming out of the program was the Stanley Jean Baptiste thing. The kid gets on the field, makes an interception in his first game. The ensuing week we get to hear that the guy has learned the cb position in just 3 weeks time. He is all of a sudden listed as a starter on this team at corner, then where did he go? He made a play, so he gets the boot? Pelini cried all year about execution and making plays, I don't want to hear it. We have guys who are playmakers on this team, guys with real athletic ability. They don't get on the field.

Brion, I hope you stay man. Your better than Martinez and I hope you get a shot to prove it. I hope that shot comes before we sit the next two years with Martinez getting all the snaps.

I know Tommie Frazier might have a biased opinion on this, and his opinions are usually strong. I hate to tell some of you though, if you listen to him, he is usually right. Here is a link to Tommie's show where he discusses some of this.

Except for the parts arguing that defending TMart is somehow ingesting kool-aid, I agree with quite a bit of this post. It has been rehashed over and over but it was almost criminally negligent the manner in which redshirts were wasted and opportunities for some meaningful snaps were ignored.

Of course, we don't know the specifics but the "circle the wagons" and bunker mentality of the staff really stifles any information flow and begets speculation. I am the first to admit the coaches know infinitely more about each individual situation, but the entirety of it all encompassing SO many different players leads one to believe they really are lax in this area.

Indentation and line spacing. Use them.

I don't want to come off as completely negative because like I said, I think Pelini should be here. Things can work out for this program. I think we have the ability to be back among the elite programs at some point in the near future. To do that though, we have to keep talented athletes on the field. You cannot try to rebuild every year, you have to reload as they say. You get a short time to coach and teach these players. When they commit to your University, they are trusting the things you promised them when your recruited them and they are trusting you to develop them to have a promising future. If they never get a chance to display their abilities, then it can be viewed as a violation of that trust. That is not a trend we want to start. That is not something you want future recruits to start being aware of. I'd hate to think that because of this so called "dog house" Bo has, that he is not doing everything he can to give each individual a chance. The 3 freshman backs, Jamal Turner, and Brion Carnes all have legitimate complaints with how their season was handled in my opinion. I don't know if any of these guys will transfer or not, but like I said, if they do, it does not send a good message to future recruits.

Except for the parts arguing that defending TMart is somehow ingesting kool-aid, I agree with quite a bit of this post. It has been rehashed over and over but it was almost criminally negligent the manner in which redshirts were wasted and opportunities for some meaningful snaps were ignored.

Of course, we don't know the specifics but the "circle the wagons" and bunker mentality of the staff really stifles any information flow and begets speculation. I am the first to admit the coaches know infinitely more about each individual situation, but the entirety of it all encompassing SO many different players leads one to believe they really are lax in this area.

Well put comish. Thanks for sharing your opinion too, instead of just posting some "wall of text" comment or letting me know that my blog rants are not as well written as I would write a report, or presentation for work. I guess I just bring the level down a bit since I'm on a blog. I'll try harder next time. Again, thanks for your opinion though. I'd love to come here and have others share their thoughts on some of the things I say. Knappc and Drumline, if you care to try to read it and express some thoughts have at it. I can handle disagreement.

It's hard to take someone seriously when they so obviously let their personal feelings about a player or coach overtake their ability to converse about the team. Bo has made mistakes, but this is just way over the top. It gets old.

I like Bo, but like I said, he does some dumb sh#t sometimes. When he does, I will certainly call him on it. The same way at my job when I do some dumb sh#t, I got people I answer to. Whether Bo likes it or not, he will always have to hear it from the fans when he fu#*$ up. That's part of the game, and part of life for that matter. So I think everyone can try to go ahead and get over that. I also understand that this is Pelini's first go around at HC. It's gonna take him some time to learn his job, just like it takes the rest of us time to learn ours. I don't believe in firing a guy because he makes a mistake. I believe in firing a guy when he makes the same mistakes over and over again. Bo has not reached that point in my opinion. A lot of people are screaming for this guy to be gone. I am not one of them so don't try to paint me with that brush. This just happens to be an area that Bo has got to get better at.

Every year player leave and every year they are condemned for not holding up their end of the bargain, not wanting to work to achieve, being babies, etc. Players that leave the program get the same treatment as those that are considering NU and sign with another school. Every player or person has to do what is best for them. I know its hard to believe but people sometimes make quick decisions for better or worse, and this is especially true of 18 - 22 years old. Besides that we have no idea what is or has been said to players that make decide I have had enough.

(Now I am not saying this is the case but here me out) If you promised certain perks at your job when you sign your offer letter and after being there become upset because they never materialize: Would you stay because you signed the contract to be there? Or would you begin to explore other opportunities.

Everyday people make career decisions that fit better for them or pay more and they could care less about the criticism they may receive for it. But when a kid decides he wants to move on, all of a sudden he lacks good parenting, accountability, discipline, and or leadership. I never heard any of these kids get into trouble while they were here, they went to practice, did what they had to do to try to earn playing time. If they feel it is in their best interest to leave then I wish them the best. They are the ones that have to live with the decision of what they do with their eligibility not us.

It's hard to take someone seriously when they so obviously let their personal feelings about a player or coach overtake their ability to converse about the team. Bo has made mistakes, but this is just way over the top. It gets old.

I like Bo, but like I said, he does some dumb sh#t sometimes. When he does, I will certainly call him on it. The same way at my job when I do some dumb sh#t, I got people I answer to. Whether Bo likes it or not, he will always have to hear it from the fans when he fu#*$ up. That's part of the game, and part of life for that matter. So I think everyone can try to go ahead and get over that. I also understand that this is Pelini's first go around at HC. It's gonna take him some time to learn his job, just like it takes the rest of us time to learn ours. I don't believe in firing a guy because he makes a mistake. I believe in firing a guy when he makes the same mistakes over and over again. Bo has not reached that point in my opinion. A lot of people are screaming for this guy to be gone. I am not one of them so don't try to paint me with that brush. This just happens to be an area that Bo has got to get better at.

I once had a employee get nominated for employee of the year by the chamber of commerce because from the outside looking in they all thought the person did a wonderful job and was fantastic at doing their job. From my perspective they were a problem employee, bad for company morale, attendance sucked and the quality of their work was piss poor. And to add to it they were ever a team player. The only redeeming quality about the person was that she was nice to the public. I was about to fire them when they were nominated for this award. The community wasn't an expert judge of who was doing what good in my company because they didn't know what was going on or they wouldn't have nominated this person.

I'm not we understand enough about whats going on with the football team to be a judge on if Bo "fukked" up as you put it. Or if he wasted redshirts, circumstances with the player changed, what their effort or learning curve is, or if they had been informed they should reshirt etc. Its like he's submitting month end reports and he keeps coding the car expense as an advertising expense over and over ever month. You're dealing with people. Kids of all people and the fact is sometimes they don't follow through.

I think yes on the surface it looks like he might have played some kids that should have waited a year but maybe they stop improving and older guys go motivated when they didn't start. I think Bo could have played Cody Green last year and kept him at NU as a good back up. But thats all on the outside looking in. I know now he did ask Aaron Green to redshirt and he didn't want to even though Ron Brown told him he might not get any carries. I also know in Cody Green's case he was asked to stay at QB for spring ball and after if he wanted to move to another spot to help the team he could and in fact they did ask him. I don't know why Carnes didn't get more snaps this year other than he continually made mistakes in practice that would normally cost you in a game and its hard to run the offense when you don't know it as well as you should. At the end of the year I was told there is more to it as the season when on but they wouldn't go into detail. I'm assuming it had to do with contact with Cody but that might have nothing to do with it.

So. . .yes we can be some what critical of the coaches but at the same time we need to realize we as fans on the outside might not be as smart as we think we are either.

I'm tired so can't stay focused long enough to read everything you wrote, although I'm sure it's good. However, I CAN'T take my eyes off your avatar! :hmmph

I once had a employee get nominated for employee of the year by the chamber of commerce because from the outside looking in they all thought the person did a wonderful job and was fantastic at doing their job. From my perspective they were a problem employee, bad for company morale, attendance sucked and the quality of their work was piss poor. And to add to it they were ever a team player. The only redeeming quality about the person was that she was nice to the public. I was about to fire them when they were nominated for this award. The community wasn't an expert judge of who was doing what good in my company because they didn't know what was going on or they wouldn't have nominated this person.

I'm not we understand enough about whats going on with the football team to be a judge on if Bo "fukked" up as you put it. Or if he wasted redshirts, circumstances with the player changed, what their effort or learning curve is, or if they had been informed they should reshirt etc. Its like he's submitting month end reports and he keeps coding the car expense as an advertising expense over and over ever month. You're dealing with people. Kids of all people and the fact is sometimes they don't follow through.

I think yes on the surface it looks like he might have played some kids that should have waited a year but maybe they stop improving and older guys go motivated when they didn't start. I think Bo could have played Cody Green last year and kept him at NU as a good back up. But thats all on the outside looking in. I know now he did ask Aaron Green to redshirt and he didn't want to even though Ron Brown told him he might not get any carries. I also know in Cody Green's case he was asked to stay at QB for spring ball and after if he wanted to move to another spot to help the team he could and in fact they did ask him. I don't know why Carnes didn't get more snaps this year other than he continually made mistakes in practice that would normally cost you in a game and its hard to run the offense when you don't know it as well as you should. At the end of the year I was told there is more to it as the season when on but they wouldn't go into detail. I'm assuming it had to do with contact with Cody but that might have nothing to do with it.

So. . .yes we can be some what critical of the coaches but at the same time we need to realize we as fans on the outside might not be as smart as we think we are either.

How do you know Aaron was asked to red shirt? I heard a lot of maybe he was asked but nothing definitive. I just find it odd that he was told to red shirt yet he was so vocal this summer about getting an opportunity to play and learning the playbook. I just do see him being as disappointed about not playing if he knew the coaches asked him to red shirt.