Pic of Seniors in locker room after Iowa game

Nexus

I'll just say this about Cassidy, that picture may not be flattering but I doubt anyone on that team is out of shape of weak. The guy was pretty good in the run game. It's hard to find a play where he isn't near the ball ready to make a tackle if David missed or making a stop. As a cover guy he was ok, and that is about all I can say because none of us really know what he was asked to do and whether or not some of those blown coverages were solely on him.

I'm not going to judge whether Cassidy was a good, decent or bad player. Bo had him playing for a reason. It doesn't look to me like he was ever in the weight room! I see 50 year old guys at the gym who look better than he does. How can you spend 5 years at Nebraska at look that pedestrian?

Genetics.

Cassidy is smarter than your average bear. Bo's defense isn't for dummies, and if you can't mentally grasp it, all the physical gifts in the world aren't going to make you great in it. So the coaches have a choice - do you play the guy who's just not getting it, but has all the physical skills, or do you play the brainiac who totally gets it, but is maybe a bit less of an athlete?

Before you answer that, remember that these are Cassidy's bona fides:

• First-Team Capital One/CoSIDA Academic All-American (2010)
  • First-Team Capital One Academic All-District VII (2009, 2010)
  • First-Team Academic All-Big 12 (2009, 2010)
  • Four-Time Big 12 Commissioner's Fall Academic Honor Roll (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010)
  • Four-Time Big 12 Commissioner's Spring Academic Honor Roll (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)

He was a Psych major at UNL and he graduated last May with a 3.9 GPA. He was a walk-on in 2007 and didn't earn his scholarship until 2010. Cassidy was a gold medalist as a Junior at Lincoln Southwest in the pole vault and qualified for 110- and 300-meter hurdles both his junior and senior years in high school.

Austin Cassidy is the kind of guy you'll likely see on Sundays in the NFL. He'll be carrying a clip board and wearing a mike and visor, but he's got the brains to be a coach - and when you have a field coach like that, sometimes his lesser physical skills can be overlooked.

That said, Cassidy led the team in interceptions this year (2, tied with Lavonte David) and had the only fumble recovery returned for a TD by the Blackshirts. Cassidy was fourth on the team in Total Tackles, ahead of Baker Steinkuhler and Camstache, Crick & Dennard (who both played partial seasons), and Andrew Green (who was 6th on the team, by the way).

Maybe in a year with stronger defenders across the board, Austin Cassidy doesn't play. But in this defense, he was definitely a major contributor. For all the times his athleticism wasn't what we wanted it to be, he was still a rock to what turned out to be a very green defense.

Maybe he doesn't look that great in a towel. But he's a Blackshirt. And he earned it.

• Fire 4

Cassidy is smarter than your average bear. Bo's defense isn't for dummies, and if you can't mentally grasp it, all the physical gifts in the world aren't going to make you great in it. So the coaches have a choice - do you play the guy who's just not getting it, but has all the physical skills, or do you play the brainiac who totally gets it, but is maybe a bit less of an athlete?

Before you answer that, remember that these are Cassidy's bona fides:

• First-Team Capital One/CoSIDA Academic All-American (2010)
  • First-Team Capital One Academic All-District VII (2009, 2010)
  • First-Team Academic All-Big 12 (2009, 2010)
  • Four-Time Big 12 Commissioner's Fall Academic Honor Roll (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010)
  • Four-Time Big 12 Commissioner's Spring Academic Honor Roll (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)

He was a Psych major at UNL and he graduated last May with a 3.9 GPA. He was a walk-on in 2007 and didn't earn his scholarship until 2010. Cassidy was a gold medalist as a Junior at Lincoln Southwest in the pole vault and qualified for 110- and 300-meter hurdles both his junior and senior years in high school.

Austin Cassidy is the kind of guy you'll likely see on Sundays in the NFL. He'll be carrying a clip board and wearing a mike and visor, but he's got the brains to be a coach - and when you have a field coach like that, sometimes his lesser physical skills can be overlooked.

That said, Cassidy led the team in interceptions this year (2, tied with Lavonte David) and had the only fumble recovery returned for a TD by the Blackshirts. Cassidy was fourth on the team in Total Tackles, ahead of Baker Steinkuhler and Camstache, Crick & Dennard (who both played partial seasons), and Andrew Green (who was 6th on the team, by the way).

Maybe in a year with stronger defenders across the board, Austin Cassidy doesn't play. But in this defense, he was definitely a major contributor. For all the times his athleticism wasn't what we wanted it to be, he was still a rock to what turned out to be a very green defense.

Maybe he doesn't look that great in a towel. But he's a Blackshirt. And he earned it.

Wow. What a fantastic post.

Your damn right he earned it.

I am going to add a quote from Teddy Roosevelt for all the haters:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man

stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena,

whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly,

who errs and comes up short again and again,

because there is no effort without error or shortcoming,

but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions,

who spends himself for a worthy cause; who,

at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement,

and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly,

so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt 1910

Please, that has nothing to do with genetics. His body fat percentage is pretty damn high for a collegiate football player who plays Safety and is supposed to be one of the faster guys on the field.

Wow what an ignorant comment. You guys criticizing a guy, who did nothing but give his heart and soul to Nebraska Football, should be ashamed of yourselves.

A little pudge in the lower abdomen is GENETICS. Which also has no reflection on what Austin's actual over-all body fat percentage might be.

And sometimes coaches do like a Safety to carry a little extra weight since a lot of times they have to come up and make tackles like a linebacker.

And he has also been timed at 4.54 seconds, in the 40, so it obviously hasn't affected his speed.

So his body fat percentage is IRRELEVANT to how he played the game.

Please, that has nothing to do with genetics. His body fat percentage is pretty damn high for a collegiate football player who plays Safety and is supposed to be one of the faster guys on the field.

Wow what an ignorant comment. You guys criticizing a guy, who did nothing but give his heart and soul to Nebraska Football, should be ashamed of yourselves.

A little pudge in the lower abdomen is GENETICS. Which also has no reflection on what Austin's actual over-all body fat percentage might be.

And sometimes coaches do like a Safety to carry a little extra weight since a lot of times they have to come up and make tackles like a linebacker.

And he has also been timed at 4.54 seconds, in the 40, so it obviously hasn't affected his speed.

So his body fat percentage is IRRELEVANT to how he played the game.

Your comment is more ignorant than mine. You're assuming I care what body fat he's at. All I did was respond to the other guy.

What is his body fat percentage? Or are you just going by the eyeball test?

Probably mid to high teens.

"Probably?" You cannot be serious.

"Probably?" You cannot be serious.

I'm not gonna give an exact number because it's very difficult to tell, especially since we only have one picture. Yeah, he's clearly in the mid to high teens. What body fat percentage would you put him at?

It's not a big deal regardless. Cassidy's probably one of those guys who has trouble putting on weight and this is the result of trying to bulk up to play collegiate football.

I'm not gonna give an exact number because it's very difficult to tell, especially since we only have one picture. Yeah, he's clearly in the mid to high teens. What body fat percentage would you put him at?

I wouldn't, based off a picture. A 2-D representation is no way to measure body fat percentages. Anyone trying looks pretty foolish.