Scott Frost's "thoughts" from 2005 still relevant today.

I think I've more or less iterated some of these thoughts as well over the last few months/years.

Any system can work if it's done the right way and with the right players, as Frost said. And I sometimes struggle to repress the urge to laugh when I see people, even Husker fans, get on this board and say one thing won't work and we need to be a certain way. Analysts spent years saying Nebraska was, essentially, a lame program. We were always told a good defense could stop us, so-and-so team is better because of their athletes, the option offense is outdated, etc. The next thing you know, we'd be beating a Top 10 team by three or more touchdowns and making analysts look like idiots.

That said, there were plenty of reasons why we were able to do what we did then, and building that kind of depth and execution level is harder now than it ever was before. Everything in football is cyclical, and almost anything can work if you devote the time and effort to make it.

I am all for walk-ons and I understand the "pride", but lets face it, that 97' team prolly won't happen for another 30 years having that many starters on offense from Nebraska. He didn't mention that we had a VERY GOOD defense and all of them WEREN'T from Nebraska.

Another thing, Tom Osborne is one of the greatest college coaches of all time.

I really hope Scott Frost is on our staff one day. We need people (no, I'm not calling for the heads of any of the current staff), but we need people who bleed Husker red.

I was thinking the same thing as I read his thoughts. However, I don't think he would come back for anything less than a HC job.

I would love to see Frost on our staff. I think he could come back as an offensive coordinator. He's only a position coach at Oregon. Beck is doing well, but Frost would be money.

I am all for walk-ons and I understand the "pride", but lets face it, that 97' team prolly won't happen for another 30 years having that many starters on offense from Nebraska. He didn't mention that we had a VERY GOOD defense and all of them WEREN'T from Nebraska.

I don't think Frost or anybody is saying we need that many Nebraska kids to succeed. His point, more or less, is that doing things a certain way with certain players worked beautifully for Nebraska. As far as the defense goes, this is the one side of the ball where we need to recruit talent that I don't think is available in Nebraska. You can get away with a couple of playmakers and a great offensive line, but you need a great defense to compete nationally.

Honestly, I think more than anything you can attribute Nebraska's success in football to the great lines they had, both offense and defense. If you can produce excellent line play on both sides of the ball, everything else is much less difficult to manage.

True, but the 1997 offense was on par with the defense in my opinion.

I think that goes without saying.

However, Scott did say, "I’m all for going to California and Florida to recruit great players."

I don't think Frost or anybody is saying we need that many Nebraska kids to succeed. His point, more or less, is that doing things a certain way with certain players worked beautifully for Nebraska. As far as the defense goes, this is the one side of the ball where we need to recruit talent that I don't think is available in Nebraska. You can get away with a couple of playmakers and a great offensive line, but you need a great defense to compete nationally.

Honestly, I think more than anything you can attribute Nebraska's success in football to the great lines they had, both offense and defense. If you can produce excellent line play on both sides of the ball, everything else is much less difficult to manage.

Well said.

I agree.

What peaks my interest about this topic is the "system" they had in place. It seems we has a TON of players on the practice field, and the "system" was just efficient at getting guys reps, coaching up techniques, and maximizing the physical/mental potential of our players - using the limited number of coaches we were allowed.

I suppose the idea, if the cream rises to the top... and you start out with more cows...you get more cream? :)

Anyway, I'd like to learn more about that, and know anyone else's thoughts if Bo is rebuilding that "system".

Also, I don't think it's fair to blame Callahan for destroying the walk-on tradition in a malicious fashion, he just didn't know how to coach that many players effectively. The way he knew how to coach meant he needed a smaller # of players to focus on.

The Callahan/Walk-on Program hate by fans is disappointing to me for two reasons.

1. Matt O'Hanlon and his walk-on story is one of my favorites, and it couldn't have happened without Callahan (and of course later on Pelini being responsible for his later development)

2. By hating on Callahan for not being able to continue the storied/traditional Husker walk-on program you lessen how impressive of a feat those coaches had accomplished before him.

Remember how our last national championship was 1997? Times have changed. Nebraska can't produce the hot bed of talent which is seen in Florida, Texas, California, etc...

If Pelini is pressured to recruit top talent, then he can't expect that to come from Nebraska kids. If he's pressured to recruit Nebraska kids, then we're not going to be as good.

I really hope Scott Frost is on our staff one day. We need people (no, I'm not calling for the heads of any of the current staff), but we need people who bleed Husker red.

I was thinking the same thing as I read his thoughts. However, I don't think he would come back for anything less than a HC job.

I would love to see Frost on our staff. I think he could come back as an offensive coordinator. He's only a position coach at Oregon. Beck is doing well, but Frost would be money.

Oh! I thought Frost was THE offensive coordinator at Oregon. Hmmm....interesting. But didn't he decline when it was talked about before? Was he offered the job after Shawn Watson was fired or was Beck moved up right away? (Sorry, can't remember that whole situation)

Oh! I thought Frost was THE offensive coordinator at Oregon. Hmmm....interesting. But didn't he decline when it was talked about before? Was he offered the job after Shawn Watson was fired or was Beck moved up right away? (Sorry, can't remember that whole situation)

Frost is WR coach at Oregon. He apparently wanted a coordinator position at Nebraska, but Bo had already had his mind set on Beck being promoted to OC instead. Frost didn't want to make a lateral move from Oregon to Nebraska, hence he declined Bo's offer.