Scott Frost's "thoughts" from 2005 still relevant today.

I'd love it if we could get a lot of Nebraska kids on the field. If someone could point out where we've missed the next Ahman Green or Scott Frost, that would be great. Even the next Russ Hochstien or Eric Anderson. I don't remember them coming through the state.

I could be mistaken, but Green was pretty highly touted coming out of high school and didn't just get offers from Nebraska. My guess is he was a three or four star player. Those kind of talented running backs are practically non-existent in OPS or Millard schools right now.

I mean if Osborne thought Nebraska running backs were good enough to populate almost the entire running back group in '95 save for Phillips, then he must have thought we had really good talent. If Pelini has practically no Nebraska running back talent, that must mean there's a dip right now. But as someone else said, the player itself isn't always the ultimate factor. Development plays a huge role as well. I mean you could pick any number of guys from an Osborne team that would have never played a snap at another division one school, especially guys like our fullbacks, yet we found uses for them here.

We've given scholarships to the guys we couldn't let get away, namely Crick and Rodriguez. A lot of people harp on the 'Nebraska kids' populating the roster, but they often forget about guys like Crick. He may have had a down year, but he still put together a pretty good career at Nebraska.

I agree. I was wondering if anyone had any Nebraska kids that we "missed" - that is, that went somewhere else for college. I think we've done a good job of grabbing the best players in the state. There just haven't been very many top end recruits in the state for quite a few years. We've gotten a few lineman in the last couple years (Reeves, Sterup, Rodriguez, Steinkuhler) but other than that, there hasn't been much (Fisher and Okafor looked promising but havn't gotten very far).

I can think of several guys that got away that could've contributed a lot to our team during their college playing career.

Trevor Robinson walked onto Notre Dame's campus and started at guard from Day 1. After a redshirt, same deal with Nathan Enderle, who we beat up on last year when the Vandals came to town. Could you imagine if we kept THAT kid in state between 2006-2010 (his playing career)?

How much different would our QB situation have looked during those years if Cally pulls his head out and got this kid? I doubt we ever go after Sam "Blow" Keller. Maybe Joe Ganz never even gets his shot at Husker glory. We never suffer through that 2009 Zac Lee led offense. T-Mart may not even start last year. It could've changed the landscape of this Husker team dramatically.

Well, it's a given he didn't fit the type of offense Cally and Wats ran, but to have a big QB with an NFL caliber arm right in our backyard and let him get away... :o

Also, Shaun Prater starts at CB for Iowa now. He and his twin brother Shane graduated from Central and ended up accepting Iowa offers after we chose not to go after them. They were 3 and 2 stars, respectively. We made a late push, and I really was excited hoping we'd get the package deal, but it was too little too late.

In 2009 we missed on "in-state" prospect David Oku, the #1 RB that year. I remember people were excited when he transferred to finish HS in Lincoln. Well, he's since left the Tennessee program (after Lane left) and this summer was arrested on a domestic assault charge. Proof recruiting services CAN whiff, people!

We also missed out on Harland Gunn and Tim Biere a little farther back. Gunn has been a starter at the U for the last 2.5 years and Biere started for KU right away as a true frosh (I know, it's KU).

We've done better as of late though. Gotten the top 4 Nebraska recruits the last two years in a row.

I think it is harder to get guys to walk on than it was 10-15 years ago because of two things: college tuition inflation and the economy. College tuition inflation is considerably higher than average inflation. Heck, I was in college 15 years ago and tuition wasn't really that bad. A lot of the players that walked on then had scholarship offers to smaller schools, but were willing to pass on free college just for the opportunity to be a part of the Nebraska team. Today with expenses as they are, a lot of these same calibur of athletes have to go the free college route based strictly on economics. The one thing I don't agree with is that we don't have just as many good/great athletes as we had back in 97'. I'd venture to guess we have as many or more than back then considering what the populations of just Lincoln and Omaha have done over the past 15 years.

I can think of several guys that got away that could've contributed a lot to our team during their college playing career.

Trevor Robinson walked onto Notre Dame's campus and started at guard from Day 1. After a redshirt, same deal with Nathan Enderle, who we beat up on last year when the Vandals came to town. Could you imagine if we kept THAT kid in state between 2006-2010 (his playing career)?

How much different would our QB situation have looked during those years if Cally pulls his head out and got this kid? I doubt we ever go after Sam "Blow" Keller. Maybe Joe Ganz never even gets his shot at Husker glory. We never suffer through that 2009 Zac Lee led offense. T-Mart may not even start last year. It could've changed the landscape of this Husker team dramatically.

Well, it's a given he didn't fit the type of offense Cally and Wats ran, but to have a big QB with an NFL caliber arm right in our backyard and let him get away... :o

Also, Shaun Prater starts at CB for Iowa now. He and his twin brother Shane graduated from Central and ended up accepting Iowa offers after we chose not to go after them. They were 3 and 2 stars, respectively. We made a late push, and I really was excited hoping we'd get the package deal, but it was too little too late.

In 2009 we missed on "in-state" prospect David Oku, the #1 RB that year. I remember people were excited when he transferred to finish HS in Lincoln. Well, he's since left the Tennessee program (after Lane left) and this summer was arrested on a domestic assault charge. Proof recruiting services CAN whiff, people!

We also missed out on Harland Gunn and Tim Biere a little farther back. Gunn has been a starter at the U for the last 2.5 years and Biere started for KU right away as a true frosh (I know, it's KU).

We've done better as of late though. Gotten the top 4 Nebraska recruits the last two years in a row.

I agree with you on Robinson but didn't we recruit him? I seem to remember we were after him but he chose Notre Dame instead. I could be wrong but not a lot you can do about that.

As far as Enderle, that's pretty high praise for a guy who ended up at Idaho. I like the guy too but I think that's a little overboard. Maybe he developed into that type of player but there obviously weren't a lot of schools knocking on his door coming out of high school.

Prater probably just lost a numbers game. We got Anthony Blue (who was good early before injuries got to him) the year before and Dennard in his class. We also had another CB in each of those classes (Sullivan in 2007, Whitmore in 2008) that were both more highly-rated than Blue or Dennard.

I think it is harder to get guys to walk on than it was 10-15 years ago because of two things: college tuition inflation and the economy. College tuition inflation is considerably higher than average inflation. Heck, I was in college 15 years ago and tuition wasn't really that bad. A lot of the players that walked on then had scholarship offers to smaller schools, but were willing to pass on free college just for the opportunity to be a part of the Nebraska team. Today with expenses as they are, a lot of these same calibur of athletes have to go the free college route based strictly on economics. The one thing I don't agree with is that we don't have just as many good/great athletes as we had back in 97'. I'd venture to guess we have as many or more than back then considering what the populations of just Lincoln and Omaha have done over the past 15 years.

I agree with you.

By the way Coach Solich's Ohio Bobcats are playing for another MAC Championship this Saturday.

Coach Solich is getting a lot of those Nebraska kids that were looking at walking on at Nebraska to come to Ohio University.

He has also won the MAC East Championship 4 times.

Before Coach Solich got there Ohio had gone to 2 bowl games in their entire history: 1962 and 1968.

Since he has been there Ohio has gone to 3 bowl games and they have also qualified for their 4th bowl game.

Kids like to play for winners.

And ironically the more success Coach Solich has, the harder it is going to be to get those kids from Nebraska to walk-on, when they can get a scholarship from the Bobcats.

I agree with you.

By the way Coach Solich's Ohio Bobcats are playing for another MAC Championship this Saturday.

Coach Solich is getting a lot of those Nebraska kids that were looking at walking on at Nebraska to come to Ohio University.

Before Coach Solich got there Ohio had gone to 2 bowl games in their entire history: 1962 and 1968.

Since he has been there Ohio has gone to 3 bowl games and they have also qualified for their 4th bowl game.

And ironically the more success Coach Solich has, the harder it is going to be to get those kids from Nebraska to walk-on, when they can get a scholarship from the Bobcats.

Any of them starting, or getting any real playing time? No. I'm not too worried about Solich's recruiting.

I agree with you.

Any of them starting, or getting any real playing time? No. I'm not too worried about Solich's recruiting.

Oh calm down.

I'm only talking about walk-ons, not the top athletes in Nebraska.

Noah Keller is from Kearney, NE and he is a hell of a player for Coach Solich.

Keller passed up a chance to go to the NFL last year, but he decided to come back for his Senior year for Coach Solich and help him try to win a MAC Championship.

2010: Named to Nagurski Trophy Watch List...Tabbed as a preseason All-American by SI.com, NationalChamps.net and Consensus Draft Services (cdsdraft.com)... Named captain for the 2010 season ... Racked up a total of 26 tackles for the season ... Achieved his season best against Toledo on Sept. 11 with 11 tackles (three solo), one tackle for loss (sack) one forced fumble and one blocked kick ... Recorded nine tackles, four solo, against Wofford on Sept. 4 and six tackles at Ohio State on Sept. 18.

2009: Named honorable mention All America by SI.com...Second-team All-MAC (first team by Phil Steele)...Led the MAC in tackles per game (11.1) and total tackles with 155 (64 solo, 91 assisted)...The 155 tackles was the highest single-season total for the program in more than 15 seasons and eighth-highest overall...Had nine tackles for loss, including two sacks, one interception, three pass breakups and two forced fumbles...Set a MAC Championship Game record with 16 tackles...Had a career-high three tackles for loss against Cal Poly...Named Ohio's Defensive MVP at the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl

2008: Named second-team All- MAC...Played in all 12 games, starting 11...Ohio's leading tackler with 104 stops (tied for 45th nationally and ninth in the MAC)...Had double-digit tackling efforts against Wyoming, VMI, Buffalo, Akron and Miami... Posted five tackles for loss and one sack...Forced one fumble, snared one interception and broke up two passes...The interception clinched Ohio's road victory over Kent State

2007: Played in 12 games as a true freshman ... Recorded 13 solo and 24 assisted tackles ... Sacked the quarterback 1.5 times and had 2.5 tackles for loss ... Forced one fumble ... Registered a career-high six tackles against Akron

HIGH SCHOOL: Lettered three times at Kearney ... Recorded 204 total tackles, including 82 solos, in 13 games as a senior ... Finished the 2006 season with 15 tackles for a loss, eight sacks and two interceptions ... Posted 182 solo tackles and 236 assists in his career with 14 sacks and three interceptions ... As a fullback, carried the ball 98 times for 700 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior ... Named captain of the 2006 All-State team ... Named Nebraska Defensive Player of the Year by the Omaha World Herald and the Lincoln Journal Star ... Was the Kearney Hub Co-Defensive Player of the Year ... Earned recognition as a CBS Sportsline Prepstar All-American ... Named a Nike Second-Team All-American ... A first-team all-conference and all-district selection ... Led team to a 12-1 record and a state championship in 2006 ... Helped Kearney to a 31-5 record during his career ... Also lettered in track ... Was the 2006 All-Class State Shot Put Champion ... Won the 2007 Class A State Title in the same event ... Member of the National Honor Society

PERSONAL: Majoring in Biology...Son of R.J. and Terri Keller.

• 2 years later...