Your opponents...the South Carolina Gamecocks

Question for Huskers: What kind of speed does your secondary have? Alshon Jefferey isn't going to run past anyone, but we do have some little speedy guys that can be match-up problems for slower defenses. Ace Sanders, Bruce Ellington, Nick Jones, and Damiere Byrd can all stretch the field.

On a similar note, what kind of size and leaping ability do your DB's have? Like I said, Alshon isn't going to burn anyone on a fly route (unless there's blown coverage), but with his size, leaping ability, and body control he can go up over guys to make tough catches in traffic. He's also got a big frame and can effectively box-out all but the most physical defenders. Regardless, I think Nebraska will have to put two guys on #1. Many times this year there would be a corner manned-up on him with a safety over the top for support.

Thoughts?

I'm sure someone else can you give you a better analysis but this is my try. Dennard can probably shut down whoever he is on but other than that, we may struggle. Our front 3 or 4 do not generate any rush/pressure so, unless we blitz, your guy will have all day to find a receiver. Our other DB's have shown improvement through the season but still show some signs of bad mechanics/fundementals in coverage. We have done pretty good at limiting big pass plays but it will depend how well your QB can extend the play and if your WR's keep working. The thing that worries me most may be disparate measures of speed. When you say your guys aren't blazing fast but may be quick enough for slower defenses, I don't know if we're on the same page or not. My gut tells me we may be a little on the slow side compared to SEC speed. Bo does seem to scheme very good for bowl games though. Don't let last years Holiday Bowl fool you. That was simply a game nobody wanted to play.

edit- If your QB is mobile and not afraid to get outside the pocket and run, you'll probably tear us a new one.

Question for Huskers: What kind of speed does your secondary have? Alshon Jefferey isn't going to run past anyone, but we do have some little speedy guys that can be match-up problems for slower defenses. Ace Sanders, Bruce Ellington, Nick Jones, and Damiere Byrd can all stretch the field.

On a similar note, what kind of size and leaping ability do your DB's have? Like I said, Alshon isn't going to burn anyone on a fly route (unless there's blown coverage), but with his size, leaping ability, and body control he can go up over guys to make tough catches in traffic. He's also got a big frame and can effectively box-out all but the most physical defenders. Regardless, I think Nebraska will have to put two guys on #1. Many times this year there would be a corner manned-up on him with a safety over the top for support.

Thoughts?

Dennard can match up on this alshon jefferey, but if you have fast guys in the slot that will kill us all day because we will likely put either ciante evans or blatchford or thorell on him and honestly i like those guys but its a mismatch, they have been getting burned all year. We pretty much always have safety help over the top its just the way bo runs his defense, alot of the times the corner isn't even supposed to cover the deeper route. That said I'm mostly worried about the statement that your qb is a dual threat, because true dual threats are pretty much a guaranteed loss- or have been to this point anyway.

Connor Shaw is probably one of the better dual-threat guys in the nation. He doesn't have a huge arm, but he's accurate. He's very good running the ball, either on designed QB keepers, read-option, or scrambling. He can also buy time with his legs. Earlier in the season he had a tendency to take off running when the pocket started to collapse, but he's getting better at keeping his eyes downfield while moving behind the line of scrimmage.

I'll give you some stats from ESPN. He played 7 full games, with limited action in 2 early games when Stephen Garcia was on the team. He's quick and elusive and has good speed, I think in the 4.5 range.

Passing: 1218 yards, 65.5% completion rate, 12 touchdowns, 6 interceptions, took 19 sacks, 141.5 QB Rating.

Rushing: 483 yards on 116 carries, avg of 4.2 ypc, longest rush of 60 yards, 7 touchdowns.

As far as slot receivers go, the main guy you'll see is Ace Sanders, #9. He's 5'7, quick, and runs good routes. Ace is also the main punt returner and has 1 TD this year (albeit in the 1st game of the season against East Carolina). Damiere Byrd has elite, world-class speed (ran 100m for USA team internationally), but we haven't been able to get him the ball much. I can think of 2 or 3 times when he was wide open downfield but the QB overthrew him. One time, he dropped one in the endzone that was right in his hands. He's also good for 1 end-around, jet sweep type running play and generally picks up about 8 or so yards.

Im super worried about having to stop Martinez and Burkhead. All year long we have played teams who on offense their main way of moving the ball was through the air, besides Navy and Citadel who were triple option teams. So we have yet to see what we can do against an offense who wants to pound it away out of the spread. Nebraska will probably win this game if they can stay out of 2nd/3rd and long situations. If they happen to get in long passing situations, we have arguably the best pass rushing d line in the nation with Clowney, Ingram, and Devin Taylor who can provide pressure without us having to blitz. Another thing that worries me is we tend to play a lot of man, which means if Martinez gets away from pressure all of our DBs will have their backs turned which can turn into a huge gain for Martinez.

Offensively we are nothing special. We have solid backs who can consistently gain 4 yards. Connor Shaw is a really good game manager. If nothing is there he wont force it as he usually runs for a few yards instead of taking a sack or throwing into coverage. We do have Alshon who teams have doubled all year long. I expect the Huskers to do the same. One thing to keep in mind is that there is a rumor about Alshon maybe not being eligible, so stay tuned for that. If not that would be a huge loss for us as he takes a safety out of every play just with his presence alone. The thing about our offense is we eat the clock. Our backs may not bust 50 yard TD runs, but they consistently get 4-5 yards. Once we get in those 3rd and short situations its tough to stop us. Brandon Wilds our true freshman back is about 6'2 225 and he takes after Lattimore in the way he runs. He might get hit for what would be a 2 yard gain but he keeps his legs moving and seems to always fall forward for an extra few yards. When we pass the coverage can be perfect but then you have to worry about Shaw picking up the first with his feet. We also tend to run the jet sweep to our speedster WR Byrd who gets a solid 7-8 a carry. This tends to get the defense swaying one way or the other and this is when that inside zone run play really gets them. Also look out for Shaw keeping it from time to time on the zone read. The bottom line is our o line. They have been up and down all season.

Overall I think we have 2 really similar teams who love to run it and play great defense. Should be(hopefully) a good one.

I remember Clowney being like the #1 recruit or something close to that....he must have been a beast for you guys and he's only a freshmen!! Rex will probably get 30 touches and hopefully Martinez gets some kind of passing game going on early....because we are not an extraordinary come-from-behind team even though we did it against tOSU.

Hey badgerfan . . . where do you live? How does one become a Wisconsin/South Carolina fan? Strange.

I'm in the Military, don't even try to keep track of where I've lived and universities I've taken classes at...currently I'm in Manhattan.

Since you asked though I was born in Madison and raised about an hour and a half east of the Twin Cities to a family of Wisconsin grads so I grew up pulling for the Badgers...more recently my cousin was a walk on WR and is currently a GA. Being a fan of the Badgers is in my blood. I can't really help that.

That said I earned my undergrad from USC. It's my Alma Mater and I love the Gamecocks.

For the purposes of this board I choose to be badgerfan since this is a Big Ten board and it wouldn't make much sense to name myself "Gamecock who also really likes the Badgers".

How well does USC travel? Has that been mentioned?

Besides talking about how great Clemson is, what other topics are the best way to get USC fans all worked up? stick%20with%20poke.gif

We travel well. Success is still relatively new to us so we are usually willing to follow the team all over the place to support them. There will be lots of Gamecock support in Orlando, for sure. It's a 7 hour trip from Augusta to Orlando, so it's only 8 hours from Columbia.

Besides talking about how great Clemson is, what other topics are the best way to get USC fans all worked up? stick%20with%20poke.gif

Whatever you do just please do know try to insult us or make some "penis joke" because I guarantee you we've heard them all and half the time we're the ones that use them. Any opponent that we rarely face or face for the 1st time decides to use it thinking they're original will only get an eye roll and a face palm.

Hey badgerfan . . . where do you live? How does one become a Wisconsin/South Carolina fan? Strange.

I'm in the Military, don't even try to keep track of where I've lived and universities I've taken classes at...currently I'm in Manhattan.

Since you asked though I was born in Madison and raised about an hour and a half east of the Twin Cities to a family of Wisconsin grads so I grew up pulling for the Badgers...more recently my cousin was a walk on WR and is currently a GA. Being a fan of the Badgers is in my blood. I can't really help that.

That said I earned my undergrad from USC. It's my Alma Mater and I love the Gamecocks.

For the purposes of this board I choose to be badgerfan since this is a Big Ten board and it wouldn't make much sense to name myself "Gamecock who also really likes the Badgers".

Good enough for me.