Your opponents...the South Carolina Gamecocks

I remember Clowney being like the #1 recruit or something close to that....he must have been a beast for you guys and he's only a freshmen!! Rex will probably get 30 touches and hopefully Martinez gets some kind of passing game going on early....because we are not an extraordinary come-from-behind team even though we did it against tOSU.

Clowney had a 95 rating or so, which was the highest rating in several years. (That's only part of the story tho) To give you an idea of how stacked the SC D-line is, we've only been playing Clowney on 3rd downs or in the nickle package, so about 1/2 the snaps. He's a beast of a pass rusher, but can be overly aggressive in run D, getting too much penetration and missing the back. They've worked on that thru the year.

Here's some video from the GA game (2nd game and his first start).

I remember Clowney being like the #1 recruit or something close to that....he must have been a beast for you guys and he's only a freshmen!! Rex will probably get 30 touches and hopefully Martinez gets some kind of passing game going on early....because we are not an extraordinary come-from-behind team even though we did it against tOSU.

Clowney had a 95 rating or so, which was the highest rating in several years. (That's only part of the story tho) To give you an idea of how stacked the SC D-line is, we've only been playing Clowney on 3rd downs or in the nickle package, so about 1/2 the snaps. He's a beast of a pass rusher, but can be overly aggressive in run D, getting too much penetration and missing the back. They've worked on that thru the year.

Here's some video from the GA game (2nd game and his first start).

Yeah. The Clowney problem. Yoshi has the size of an NFL tackle. But nowhere near the quickness to keep Clowney out of the backfield. How long is Ben Cotton out? Not sure how much help Kyler Reed will be. Wouldn't surprise me to see us set up with a fullback on some plays.

Yeah. The Clowney problem. Yoshi has the size of an NFL tackle. But nowhere near the quickness to keep Clowney out of the backfield. How long is Ben Cotton out? Not sure how much help Kyler Reed will be. Wouldn't surprise me to see us set up with a fullback on some plays.

FWIW, Melvin Ingram will (should) be a bigger problem than Clowney. He was named 1st team All American today. Should be a first round draft pick (5-10) next year. Clowney doesn't play every down, Ingram does...

FWIW the Auburn game was the one that broke my heart this year. Win that one and USC's in the SEC championship game. We all know what they say about "if's and but's" tho....

I post all of these, not to gloat or anything like that, just to make you guys and gal familiar with the guys on the field during the game. Humm, might be a good idea for a new thread....

Besides talking about how great Clemson is, what other topics are the best way to get USC fans all worked up? stick%20with%20poke.gif

Submitted for the approval of the Huskerboard community, may I present to you:

Killer Cacti's 5 easy ways of getting a Gamecock

worked up, without ever mentioning Clemson.

I'd put money on it that at least one of them retaliates with something against Clemson, though.

1. Congratulate them on being 4 games above .500 in their history of playing collegiate football.
  2. Talk about how weak the SEC east is. (FYI the west has beaten the east by an average of 30 points the last 3 years (including an Auburn victory over SCar, 56-17 in 2010)
  3. As mentioned in another thread, make sure you point out to them that Carolina is actually the University of North Carolina, and USC is the University of Southern California.
  4. Tell them college baseball is irrelevant.
  5. Ask the rates of a hotel room at the Whitney Hotel

FWIW, Melvin Ingram will (should) be a bigger problem than Clowney. He was named 1st team All American today. Should be a first round draft pick (5-10) next year. Clowney doesn't play every down, Ingram does...

FWIW the Auburn game was the one that broke my heart this year. Win that one and USC's in the SEC championship game. We all know what they say about "if's and but's" tho....

I post all of these, not to gloat or anything like that, just to make you guys and gal familiar with the guys on the field during the game. Humm, might be a good idea for a new thread....

Ingram is goooooood. Not to down play him or anything, but he's just one of those players who seems to be in the right place at the right time every time.

Submitted for the approval of the Huskerboard community, may I present to you:

Killer Cacti's 5 easy ways of getting a Gamecock

worked up, without ever mentioning Clemson.

I'd put money on it that at least one of them retaliates with something against Clemson, though.

1. Congratulate them on being 4 games above .500 in their history of playing collegiate football.
  2. Talk about how weak the SEC east is. (FYI the west has beaten the east by an average of 30 points the last 3 years (including an Auburn victory over SCar, 56-17 in 2010)
  3. As mentioned in another thread, make sure you point out to them that Carolina is actually the University of North Carolina, and USC is the University of Southern California.
  4. Tell them college baseball is irrelevant.
  5. Ask the rates of a hotel room at the Whitney Hotel

Ding ding ding! And round #2 begins...

Im super worried about having to stop Martinez and Burkhead. All year long we have played teams who on offense their main way of moving the ball was through the air, besides Navy and Citadel who were triple option teams. So we have yet to see what we can do against an offense who wants to pound it away out of the spread. Nebraska will probably win this game if they can stay out of 2nd/3rd and long situations. If they happen to get in long passing situations, we have arguably the best pass rushing d line in the nation with Clowney, Ingram, and Devin Taylor who can provide pressure without us having to blitz. Another thing that worries me is we tend to play a lot of man, which means if Martinez gets away from pressure all of our DBs will have their backs turned which can turn into a huge gain for Martinez.

Offensively we are nothing special. We have solid backs who can consistently gain 4 yards. Connor Shaw is a really good game manager. If nothing is there he wont force it as he usually runs for a few yards instead of taking a sack or throwing into coverage. We do have Alshon who teams have doubled all year long. I expect the Huskers to do the same. One thing to keep in mind is that there is a rumor about Alshon maybe not being eligible, so stay tuned for that. If not that would be a huge loss for us as he takes a safety out of every play just with his presence alone. The thing about our offense is we eat the clock. Our backs may not bust 50 yard TD runs, but they consistently get 4-5 yards. Once we get in those 3rd and short situations its tough to stop us. Brandon Wilds our true freshman back is about 6'2 225 and he takes after Lattimore in the way he runs. He might get hit for what would be a 2 yard gain but he keeps his legs moving and seems to always fall forward for an extra few yards. When we pass the coverage can be perfect but then you have to worry about Shaw picking up the first with his feet. We also tend to run the jet sweep to our speedster WR Byrd who gets a solid 7-8 a carry. This tends to get the defense swaying one way or the other and this is when that inside zone run play really gets them. Also look out for Shaw keeping it from time to time on the zone read. The bottom line is our o line. They have been up and down all season.

Overall I think we have 2 really similar teams who love to run it and play great defense. Should be(hopefully) a good one.

#1 Recruit according to ESPN, #1 or #2 in most other reports, publications and media who bothered themselves about such things.

Gapo

SC is 45th nationally in stopping the run, while we're 13th in rushing yards/per game.

Keep arguing though....

1621668_o.gif

A good stat. Our d-line is one of the best in the country but have gotten killed by the triple option from Navy and The Citidal. Our LB's also have had there fair share of issues stopping the run on occasion but have improved through the last part of the season. Don't let the Arkansas game fool you about our DB's because we lost several starters before and during that game and they have one of the best passing games in college football, they are as good as there ranking. On Offense we lost are Senior starting LT early in the season and have had some real issues up front in pass protection but the young line has shown improvement. Losing Lattimore was huge but we have still managed to run the ball successfully due to Connor Shaw and his ability to run the Zone Read Option. Alshon Jeffery has been pretty much shut down this year but is still good for at least one amazing catch each game.

Well, personally I think our teams match up real well and this should be a great game. I don't know a lot about your football team but I have a lot of respect for your program and it's history. Here's to a injury free great game!