They're crying in East Lansing

MichiganMan

"Michigan sat home [saturday] on the couch & watched us...I don't see how you get punished for playing & someone else gets to sit on the couch & get what they want." - Kirk Cousins, Michigan State QB

Ryan Van Bergen, weighing in on Cousins' comments -

"If he wants to go sit on the couch & watch us play in the Big Ten Championship game, then he can do that. They had the opportunity to go to the Rose Bowl. It was sitting right in front of them to grab. They didn't seize the opportunity."

http://www.facebook.com/#!/michiganfball

jcmaxq5.jpg

After the debacle last year where MSU was left out of a BCS at-large bid by a formula, you'd think they would have been happy to have the opportunity to earn an conference championship and trip to the Rose Bowl with no asterisk. I think they were pretty lucky with the Penn State bowl pariah situation to fall into the Outback Bowl and a great matchup with Georgia instead of the Insight with a 6-6 A&M squad.

I can understand Michigan getting a spot but to give one to Virginia Tech getting their ass kicked twice to the same team doesn't. Michigan St. was basically one dumb play away from winning it. I would've given it to them instead of watching Virginia Tech getting their ass kicked again.

Don't forget about the limit of 2 teams per confernce....without that provision, Arkansas gets in hands-down.

Michigan State, and all teams that lose their conference championship game, have a legitimate gripe about getting shafted to a lower-tier bowl. Michigan this year (and Nebraska, 2001) benefited from not playing in the CCG. It's dumb to penalize a team for being in their conference's CCG.

Way to be stupid again, bowl system.

I can understand Michigan getting a spot but to give one to Virginia Tech getting their ass kicked twice to the same team doesn't. Michigan St. was basically one dumb play away from winning it. I would've given it to them instead of watching Virginia Tech getting their ass kicked again.

So you want to penalize VT for losing their conference championship game, but not MSU for the same thing? Any logic gap here?

Somebody is going to want to make a rule that the CCG loser goes to the CapOne bowl at a minimum. Before you do that, decide if you would want UCLA to be in the Pac 12's #2 game this year. CU wasn't a much better CCG loser a few times in the Big 12.

Van Bergen has it right. They got a shot at the Rose Bowl. It wasn't a risk-free game. That's kind of too bad, but not that big of a deal, IMO.

I don't really get how teams that schedule Youngstown St or Northern Colorado or South Dakota St all of a sudden get all bent out of shape with which bowl they wind up in.

So you want to penalize VT for losing their conference championship game, but not MSU for the same thing? Any logic gap here?

Somebody is going to want to make a rule that the CCG loser goes to the CapOne bowl at a minimum. Before you do that, decide if you would want UCLA to be in the Pac 12's #2 game this year. CU wasn't a much better CCG loser a few times in the Big 12.

Van Bergen has it right. They got a shot at the Rose Bowl. It wasn't a risk-free game. That's kind of too bad, but not that big of a deal, IMO.

I don't really get how teams that schedule Youngstown St or Northern Colorado or South Dakota St all of a sudden get all bent out of shape with which bowl they wind up in.

VT is going to a BCS bowl. MSU is not. VT got whooped and i am expecting Michigan puts a beating on them. MSU played a closer game. You do realize that the only reason UCLA got in the Conference Championship was USC was ineligible. Why does the SEC think they can schedule FCS teams OOC because their conference is too tough? Granted this year LSU and Alabama scheduled real teams put they also schedule those exact same cream puffs.

I don't feel bad about being left out of the BCS, we had a chance to be able to play in the only BCS game that counts to me when your in the BIG and that is the Rose Bowl (along with the BCS title game the only two BCS games that mean anything). Michigan and Virginia Tech benefit from a business decision, not the merit of the season that they actually had. If it was based on that you would obviously have two different teams playing for the Sugar Bowl, I believe anyways that the Outback and Capital One are far more appealing bowls to watch this year so I have no problem with Michigan or Virginia Tech going to the Sugar. Michigan State will never travel as well as these programs along with other schools who will constantly be passed over by the system because of money, thus we need to make the most of our chances. I wouldn't trade places with any team right now, it was a quite a ride this season and something I will always look back to.

• Fire 1

It does sort of suck when that happens—when the loser of the CCG gets knocked down to a lesser bowl. But without a CCG a winning team can get screwed out of the national championship game. Like Oklahoma State. If OSU had won a CCG last weekend they would probably be playing for the MNC. Instead of getting hosed by a tiny fraction of a point.

• Fire 1

I dont feel bad for them. EVERYBODY knew going into the Michigan/Nebraska game that winner had an inside track into the BCS. So Michigan State cant come out 3 weeks later and say they got hosed when there only shot was winning the CCG. Sorry Sparty you shouldve showed up against Notre Dame and Nebraska for that matter. You cant lose in November and December with the BCS system, it will kill you everytime. Right Okie State and Boise State!

Yes, VTech doesnt deserve to get in, but neither did MSU. Kstate or Boise wouldve been better choices.

I dont feel bad for them. EVERYBODY knew going into the Michigan/Nebraska game that winner had an inside track into the BCS. So Michigan State cant come out 3 weeks later and say they got hosed when there only shot was winning the CCG. Sorry Sparty you shouldve showed up against Notre Dame and Nebraska for that matter. You cant lose in November and December with the BCS system, it will kill you everytime. Right Okie State and Boise State!

Yes, VTech doesnt deserve to get in, but neither did MSU. Kstate or Boise wouldve been better choices.

Scott, the only reason the winner of the Michigan and Nebraska game had the inside track to the BCS game is unfortunately because of money! It is no secret that both teams travel well and are cash cows for whatever bowl game selects them so whether the team is worthy of being selected or not it was almost a certainity that the winner because of money would be selected to a BCS game (this is how we end up with the worst Sugar Bowl in history). I certainly agree that we had our shot at getting in the best BCS game outside the national title and because of mental errors fell short, but don't kid yourself even if we beat Notre Dame or you guys and finished 11-2 we still would have been picked over for Michigan. You need to start realizing that the way teams are selected has absolutely nothing to do with how good the team is or where they finished in the conference because if it did Michigan State would not be playing in the Outback and Nebraska wouldn't have played in the Holiday Bowl last season. I do certainly agree with you though that K-State and Boise State got hosed as well and if those teams would have gotten in before Michigan State I would not have been upset because those would have been two ball clubs that actually deserved a spot in. Nevertheless, we blew our chance and will play in what is probably one of the better matchups all bowl season compared to some of the trash games the BCS offers.

Scott, the only reason the winner of the Michigan and Nebraska game had the inside track to the BCS game is unfortunately because of money! It is no secret that both teams travel well and are cash cows for whatever bowl game selects them so whether the team is worthy of being selected or not it was almost a certainity that the winner because of money would be selected to a BCS game (this is how we end up with the worst Sugar Bowl in history). I certainly agree that we had our shot at getting in the best BCS game outside the national title and because of mental errors fell short, but don't kid yourself even if we beat Notre Dame or you guys and finished 11-2 we still would have been picked over for Michigan. You need to start realizing that the way teams are selected has absolutely nothing to do with how good the team is or where they finished in the conference because if it did Michigan State would not be playing in the Outback and Nebraska wouldn't have played in the Holiday Bowl last season. I do certainly agree with you though that K-State and Boise State got hosed as well and if those teams would have gotten in before Michigan State I would not have been upset because those would have been two ball clubs that actually deserved a spot in. Nevertheless, we blew our chance and will play in what is probably one of the better matchups all bowl season compared to some of the trash games the BCS offers.

Yes, I do agree with you it was about money on it being either Nebraska or Michigan as the 2nd team into the BCS but it also about who would be higher ranked because all 4 teams were ranked so close together that the last team to lose would drop out of the top 14. My thinking was if you guys had beaten either ND or Nebraska you wouldve been high enough in the rankings(probably top 10) to get in the BCS. I do realize that its not all about where the teams finished in the conference, its about what bowls think will be a good draw for the city, the stadium and for its fans. Thats why the Fiesta was chomping at the bit to get Nebraska/Oklahoma if at all possible.

Good Luck in the Outback Bowl against Georgia.