Nebraska one more time

And skersfan does not drink beer. He relaxes by mountain biking that would kill mere mortals like me :D no really

I love to read skersfan's opinions; no sugar whatsoever.

plus he's older than me :)

All said and done; I'd love to turn the clock back to hear Lyle live again. What a joy.

specially if he went all gangsta :D

GBR

And skersfan does not drink beer. He relaxes by mountain biking that would kill mere mortals like me :D no really

I love to read skersfan's opinions; no sugar whatsoever.

plus he's older than me :)

All said and done; I'd love to turn the clock back to hear Lyle live again. What a joy.

specially if he went all gangsta :D

GBR

I think hes a moron.

It is not recruiting it is luck to win the NC. Very seldom does a team go through a year and win the NC that luck did not play a major part in it. But wins and losses come from successful recruiting in these days. It is used within itself. Meaning a top kid goes to say Arkansas, a real difference making QB, it is much easier to recruit that top lineman or running back in that we are building a team to win championships. That is what Saben preaches. I have been listening to him a lot over the last two years. In some things he reminds me so much of Bo. Almost exact in peronality, total disdain for the media. The difference is Saben delegates and accepts new ideas, schemes, attacks and has what he feels is the best defensive mind in the game as his DC. He endorses growth and different ideas. Bo has the ability to be on a level with Saben I truly believe. He just needs the time to develop his way. I think he is running a million miles an hour trying to do way more than he should be.

You can not tell me that Bo can not motivate a team to win. I do not believe that. But I do believe if he does not have the time to work with the kids, lessor teams will not get the motivation/effort needed. We have seen that every year. I think it is a time situation. With a new DC in training he will have even less next year. I would imagine Carl was a lot of trusted help. Will Bo have the same trust in the new replacement.

Bottom line I want Nebraska to win. I want Bo to become the coach he can be. I think he needs time and help. But without good help this coming year, he will not get the time that is needed.

It is not recruiting it is luck to win the NC. Very seldom does a team go through a year and win the NC that luck did not play a major part in it. But wins and losses come from successful recruiting in these days. It is used within itself. Meaning a top kid goes to say Arkansas, a real difference making QB, it is much easier to recruit that top lineman or running back in that we are building a team to win championships. That is what Saben preaches. I have been listening to him a lot over the last two years. In some things he reminds me so much of Bo. Almost exact in peronality, total disdain for the media. The difference is Saben delegates and accepts new ideas, schemes, attacks and has what he feels is the best defensive mind in the game as his DC. He endorses growth and different ideas. Bo has the ability to be on a level with Saben I truly believe. He just needs the time to develop his way. I think he is running a million miles an hour trying to do way more than he should be.

You can not tell me that Bo can not motivate a team to win. I do not believe that. But I do believe if he does not have the time to work with the kids, lessor teams will not get the motivation/effort needed. We have seen that every year. I think it is a time situation. With a new DC in training he will have even less next year. I would imagine Carl was a lot of trusted help. Will Bo have the same trust in the new replacement.

Bottom line I want Nebraska to win. I want Bo to become the coach he can be. I think he needs time and help. But without good help this coming year, he will not get the time that is needed.

I retract my previous statement.

After saying all of that, some of it has to do with luck, some of has to do with coaching, some of it has to do with strength of schedule, some of has to do with the conference you are in. Im telling you, most of the time there needs to be a perfect storm so speak to get to the N/C game. Most teams dont just dominate every side of the ball every game like they used to.

skers, it sounds to me like you're being a "debbie downer," but then I'm always grouped into the "sunshine pumper" category, so my opinion may not amount to much. :D

I get what you're saying in your posts up there, and as usual you provide a lot of wisdom. There's a LOT of truth to what you say. I'm not nearly your age, but I remember the late 70s Huskers reasonably well, and from the Scoring Explosion years on, my memory is pretty solid. You know all about the struggle years with Osborne, the problems, the near-firings, the Colorado stuff, the "can't win the big game" label, all that. You know the greatest of the great eras of Nebraska Football, maybe better than anyone else here. And looking at today through that lens, we're not there - not even close. But I don't think that means we're in a bad place.

Forget about the 90s. We're not anywhere close to where we were in the 80s as a program. We're more like the early Osborne years - lots of potential, winning a bunch of games but not looking pretty doing it. A few star players here and there, but not a whole bunch of depth. Rumblings about the coach getting fired, rumblings about losing recruits, etc. It's all very familiar territory.

The question is, can we get back to where we're a perennial top-ten team, and vie for a National Championship every once in a while? Essentially, can we become another Oklahoma under Bob Stoops? I think we can. I think we have one of the most solid, dedicated fan bases in the country. I think we have money people who are willing to contribute to keeping our facilities among the nation's best. I think we have administrative people who know what it takes to build and maintain a winning program. The question is, do we have the coach to get the job done? And I think it's still too early to know. In fact, the copout answer is that we won't know until he does it. But Bo has potential. It's just a rough ride waiting for that potential to be fulfilled.

I just hope you can stay positive and not lose interest until that happens - or until we can Bo, hire someone else, and do get that success. Stay with us, skers. We will get back there. In the meantime, can I send you some of my sunshine?

This is one thread i have enjoied reading. Both sides have made some valid points. Personally i think that we are headed in the right direction. Yeah we still have ugly losses, but heck look at CFB in general. Theres not one team that hasn't struggled or had bad luck. LSU might be undefeated, but bama did every thing in their power to lose that game. It was a comedy of errors. Both teams played not to lose. Does anyone want to go back to those play not to lose days? NOT I!!!!! I'd rather we keep hammering away even if it means we have disappointments like NW, and Mich.

Lets see what happens in Jan. See what team comes out of the tunnel against am excellent carolina team. I'd love to see spurrier get another night mare. Then we can really get to picking this team apart. Till then remain positive, and enjoy! Theres a reason CFB is the 800 pound gorilla to tv. Its beacuse others feel just as passioate about their teams as Husker fans do!

I am not down in the slightest. I still send the checks every year. Still let the university use my land. Still support them in everything we do. I just do not see this bright light that some see.

I could care less about NC. I just want a team that is prepared every game, be competitive and play the Nebraska way. I truly think Bo can get this done. It takes time, but he needs better help than he has. We can not continue being a training program. This University has the money to be a top paying job and the ability to pay for those that earn those salaries. Throwing money at a problem does not always solve the problem I know, but there is just too much learning going on in our coaching staff. Qualified is a necessity in every business. Now if this staff had been together for 7-8 years and had grown as a unit under an experienced head coach, promoting from within is fine I would think. (see Tom Osborne) We have coaches that are not qualified to be in the jobs they have. That includes Bo. He needs an anchor, someone to bounce things off of that has been there. Someone he can trust to do the job, not have to help him do the job.

He needs to be a year round recruiter, every single day. I do not think he has time to do that. I know we are in the hunt for a top player, but it is only one. Too be competitive with the top programs we need to be in the hunt for all of them it seems to me.

I saw us as moving forward until last year at the Holiday Bowl. I see this year as a huge step back. Blow out losses to teams that are going to only get better and better. I know we are young, but so are the other teams. Most have the advantage of an experienced staff. Too much for a beginning head coach to handle. Losing Carl no matter how good he was is going to affect Bo.

Big Red Power Wagon, I apologize for my smart remark, it was uncalled for.

Knapplc, you know how much I love this program, this University and Tom. I just get tired of the Debbie Downer tag. I get tired of the continous Sun Shine that really is not there, then when we stumble the whole place goes nuts at how bad this coach or this player is.

We have problems, most teams do. Sweeping them under the rug very seldom helps.

For this program to get where all of want to be takes a lot more than just wanting. It takes great kids, with great character, Coaches that know their jobs forwards and backwards, A head coach that has the time to guide the team, the staff and the recruiting effort.

We talk development of the new players. Who develops the new coaches, that are in their first gig so to speak. And we keep getting new untrained people to take the job. I still feel if we do not hire from outside, a quality DC, Bo will be gone in two years and we will start this nightmare over again. We have a good enough coach, if he takes on help that helps him, rather than him helping the new guy learn. He is training a OC and most likely a new DC. He is not doing his job, because of this I think.

Great points. A couple of concerns I have is that who is really developing our Offensive Coordinator Beck? This is Bo's first gig as a HC, how would he even know how to develop Beck? People like to think that Osborne is giving Beck help but I don't know if that's happening much at all given Pelini's stubborness and the fact that Osborne seems to love letting every one know that he stays out of Bo's business. That obviously goes back to Osborne's days as a HC when he wished he had more autonomy. But, there are times like this that Osborne should be stepping in as Bo's boss and directing him. I think we're stuck in a situation with an inexperienced HC with stubborness issues with an AD that likes to be hands-off. Because of this I don't see how we become a stable Top 10 caliber team.

People like to think that Osborne is giving Beck help but I don't know if that's happening much at all given Pelini's stubborness and the fact that Osborne seems to love letting every one know that he stays out of Bo's business. That obviously goes back to Osborne's days as a HC when he wished he had more autonomy. But, there are times like this that Osborne should be stepping in as Bo's boss and directing him. I think we're stuck in a situation with an inexperienced HC with stubborness issues with an AD that likes to be hands-off. Because of this I don't see how we become a stable Top 10 caliber team.

Both Bo and Dr. Tom have talked on a number of occasions about how much they talk. Tom isn't a micro-manager, but Bo does use his wisdom. They disagree, they have different philosophies on a lot of things, but Bo has a very capable mentor right down the hall and he uses him.

I am not down in the slightest. I still send the checks every year. Still let the university use my land. Still support them in everything we do. I just do not see this bright light that some see.

I could care less about NC. I just want a team that is prepared every game, be competitive and play the Nebraska way. I truly think Bo can get this done. It takes time, but he needs better help than he has. We can not continue being a training program. This University has the money to be a top paying job and the ability to pay for those that earn those salaries. Throwing money at a problem does not always solve the problem I know, but there is just too much learning going on in our coaching staff. Qualified is a necessity in every business. Now if this staff had been together for 7-8 years and had grown as a unit under an experienced head coach, promoting from within is fine I would think. (see Tom Osborne) We have coaches that are not qualified to be in the jobs they have. That includes Bo. He needs an anchor, someone to bounce things off of that has been there. Someone he can trust to do the job, not have to help him do the job.

He needs to be a year round recruiter, every single day. I do not think he has time to do that. I know we are in the hunt for a top player, but it is only one. Too be competitive with the top programs we need to be in the hunt for all of them it seems to me.

I saw us as moving forward until last year at the Holiday Bowl. I see this year as a huge step back. Blow out losses to teams that are going to only get better and better. I know we are young, but so are the other teams. Most have the advantage of an experienced staff. Too much for a beginning head coach to handle. Losing Carl no matter how good he was is going to affect Bo.

Big Red Power Wagon, I apologize for my smart remark, it was uncalled for.

Knapplc, you know how much I love this program, this University and Tom. I just get tired of the Debbie Downer tag. I get tired of the continous Sun Shine that really is not there, then when we stumble the whole place goes nuts at how bad this coach or this player is.

We have problems, most teams do. Sweeping them under the rug very seldom helps.

For this program to get where all of want to be takes a lot more than just wanting. It takes great kids, with great character, Coaches that know their jobs forwards and backwards, A head coach that has the time to guide the team, the staff and the recruiting effort.

Our guys not recruiting year round is a misconception. When Gilmore was here they were always talking to guys, evaluating people, talking with coaches as much as they could. I know JP is the same way. A lot of what our coaches do goes unreported and honestly I think a lot of people don't understand how little contact a coach can actually have with a player. For example a head coach is only allowed to visit a player one calendar day a year. During the months of Sept, Oct. and Nov the coaches are only allowed to have 42 days considered evaluation days. They have to choose these days in advance and give them to the NCAA. The coaching staff can visit the hight school or Jr College of their prospective recruits not more than once. Phone calls during the evaluation period are limited to one per week and no texting,. So,during the season, the only days they can be recruiting face to face are off-days - - which means they aren't busy preparing for that week's game.

Part of the reason the rest of the NCAA is behind the SEC is due to over signing. Another part is we don't pay our kids to play.

People like to think that Osborne is giving Beck help but I don't know if that's happening much at all given Pelini's stubborness and the fact that Osborne seems to love letting every one know that he stays out of Bo's business. That obviously goes back to Osborne's days as a HC when he wished he had more autonomy. But, there are times like this that Osborne should be stepping in as Bo's boss and directing him. I think we're stuck in a situation with an inexperienced HC with stubborness issues with an AD that likes to be hands-off. Because of this I don't see how we become a stable Top 10 caliber team.

Both Bo and Dr. Tom have talked on a number of occasions about how much they talk. Tom isn't a micro-manager, but Bo does use his wisdom. They disagree, they have different philosophies on a lot of things, but Bo has a very capable mentor right down the hall and he uses him.

I'd be happy if you were correct, but I don't think Osborne really steps in much at all to give direction.

Compare us to LSU, Bama, OKST, etc. We're not really anywhere close to those teams. We have a ways to go.

Fixed it for you.

You're totally right. We rightfully belong with Oregon, Oklahoma, Stanford and Wisconsin. It's not like Oregon won their conference, Stanford and Oklahoma are still good football teams despite their losses, and we've already found out how we'd fare against the Badgers. I like my original post better.

;)

You mean be compared to a 9-3 OU team that lost to two ranked and one unranked team. Or do you mean the OU team that Nebraska has split the last two meetings; granted the NU win was an injury laden OU team, but the loss was also a 17-point!!! choke job by the Huskers)

Nebraska, if they play like are able CONSISTENTLY, will not only be compared to OU, OSU, Oregon, Wisconsin, but will mostly likely be better, IMO.