OSU is not rewarding Gundy's loyalty

Nexus

STILLWATER - Mike Gundy might be in College Station, Texas, today if he operated like Todd Graham.

But unlike Graham, Gundy really is true to his school. He has repeatedly demonstrated it isn't just lip service when he talks about his love, loyalty and commitment to coach at Oklahoma State.

Graham was job-hopping again last week, bolting Pittsburgh for Arizona State. It marked the second time in the past six seasons the former Tulsa coach stiffed a school and embarrassed its athletic director by leaving after one season.

Continue Reading

I think it's kinda ridiculous that after every good season everyone thinks they should get a new contract, like those expectations weren't there when they got the old one. OSU isn't wrong, IMO, regardless of the press lobbying for Gundy. It's not like they are trying to get rid of him, I expect he'll be there quite awhile, but OSU has had some pretty decent coaches before Gundy and they'll have them after.

I think it's kinda ridiculous that after every good season everyone thinks they should get a new contract, like those expectations weren't there when they got the old one. OSU isn't wrong, IMO, regardless of the press lobbying for Gundy. It's not like they are trying to get rid of him, I expect he'll be there quite awhile, but OSU has had some pretty decent coaches before Gundy and they'll have them after.

Agreed,

I also don't understand why schools will sign huge extensions with mediocre coaches....I think it was Miami that just inked Al Golden to a 10 year contract or something. After a 6-6 season...really? C'mon

But, but, these coaches are in such high demand if we don't pay them increasingly exorbitant salaries they just might..... GASP! Find a better paying job. Wait, that would be impossible for most of these professionally pigeonholed clowns. O well, as long as our tax funded universities aren't suffering financially and academically at the same time truck loads of cash are being promised to these "public employees"..... Ah damn never mind! :hmmph

Agreed,

I also don't understand why schools will sign huge extensions with mediocre coaches....I think it was Miami that just inked Al Golden to a 10 year contract or something. After a 6-6 season...really? C'mon

There was more in play with Al Golden and the Miami deal...or have we already forgotten the whole Ponzi Scheme millionaire debacle that broke over the summer and first part of the season?

There is always another school that will give him the money he wants but also you can't always think that the next coach will be even close to good as Gundy. Look at Texas Tech now, complete crap now that Leach is gone.

There is always another school that will give him the money he wants but also you can't always think that the next coach will be even close to good as Gundy. Look at Texas Tech now, complete crap now that Leach is gone.

You do know that past OSU coaches include Les Miles and Jimmy Johnson right? They have a knack for finding pretty decent coaches, and that was before T.Boone was dropping hundreds of millions on the school's athletic department.

Gundy can get huffy and feel slighted and leave if he wants, but this isn't about loyalty, its about him and his staff thinking they are owed more for doing what they are supposed to do. If he wants to leave his alma-mater for more cash *shrug*. If I was T. Boone, the second he announced he was gone, I'd promote the most popular guy on the current staff and offer all the assistants a 150% raise out of what Gundy was getting paid to stick around. I'm spiteful like that. The guy will get taken care of, if he wants to be loyal that's awesome, but it's not like he's getting paid dick with no job security. OSU's been pretty loyal to him too.

Agreed,

There was more in play with Al Golden and the Miami deal...or have we already forgotten the whole Ponzi Scheme millionaire debacle that broke over the summer and first part of the season?

Enlighten me, I really didn't pay enough attention to that scandal, I was suffering from NCAA Infraction-fatigue...so because of that they'll pay him more to stick around because it will be hard to find another coach? Or because he knows something that can damage the school?

Agreed,

Enlighten me, I really didn't pay enough attention to that scandal, I was suffering from NCAA Infraction-fatigue...so because of that they'll pay him more to stick around because it will be hard to find another coach? Or because he knows something that can damage the school?

Much harder to find another coach. Miami seriously is death penalty potential right now. I doubt it will happen, they'll probably delay the ruling enough that the fervor dies down a bit more, but they are going to get hammered. There'll be no getting off with hearsay technicalities the NCAA can't prove when they have a paper-trail from auditors trying to find and collect every last dime of a ponzi scheme.

You do know that past OSU coaches include Les Miles and Jimmy Johnson right? They have a knack for finding pretty decent coaches, and that was before T.Boone was dropping hundreds of millions on the school's athletic department.

Gundy can get huffy and feel slighted and leave if he wants, but this isn't about loyalty, its about him and his staff thinking they are owed more for doing what they are supposed to do. If he wants to leave his alma-mater for more cash *shrug*. If I was T. Boone, the second he announced he was gone, I'd promote the most popular guy on the current staff and offer all the assistants a 150% raise out of what Gundy was getting paid to stick around. I'm spiteful like that. The guy will get taken care of, if he wants to be loyal that's awesome, but it's not like he's getting paid dick with no job security. OSU's been pretty loyal to him too.

Les Miles was never as good as Gundy is now at OK. St. It's hard to keep a good coach at one place.

• 2 weeks later...