Ross Els new ST coordinator

MLB 51

I like the move. Special teams were dismal under JP and they need a jump start. Els does have some experience as Special Teams coach under Solich at Ohio. I don't think he can do worse than JP.

Huh?

Maher - 19/22 Field Goals, 54 punts/45 yard average

Henery - Cannot even begin to type all his achievements

Kunalic - Pretty damn good too

I realize there is more to ST than kicking, but these are some of the best players the nation has seen the last few years at the position and you are calling our coaching in this area dismal???

Most likely referring to the kick coverage aspect of the kick game under JP.

I thought our kick coverage has been very good since JP has been in charge. My biggest concern has been our inability to return punts. Seems like we're calling for the fair catch 95% of the time. All around, I don't see how special teams has been dismal by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree with this. We have had one of the top SP units in the country for awhile now. As far as punt returns we have not been very good, but I think we have struggled with catching the punts & that is why you see so many fair catches. It seems like teams were short kicking us with the thought of a muffed catch.

I thought our kick coverage has been very good since JP has been in charge. My biggest concern has been our inability to return punts. Seems like we're calling for the fair catch 95% of the time. All around, I don't see how special teams has been dismal by any stretch of the imagination.

We have been very good with the ball in our hands for years now, with Henery and Maher both playing lights-out. But on kickoff coverage we finished the regular season at 95th in the nation, and we were 107th in punt return coverage. We gave up WAY too many yards on both of those areas.

We ended up 60th in punt return average and we were tied for 75th for total number of returns, a factor of the numerous fair catches we called this year. Part of the problem may have come from having Abdullah back there, and the thought being that since he's a true freshman, if it looks even close he's told to fair catch it. And there have been a number of times where we have no intention of running the punt back so we put Rex back there to fair catch.

I would like to see a return to the days where we never fair-caught any punts. We were a threat every time you kicked the ball. Today... not so much.

We have been very good with the ball in our hands for years now, with Henery and Maher both playing lights-out. But on kickoff coverage we finished the regular season at 95th in the nation, and we were 107th in punt return coverage. We gave up WAY too many yards on both of those areas.

We ended up 60th in punt return average and we were tied for 75th for total number of returns, a factor of the numerous fair catches we called this year. Part of the problem may have come from having Abdullah back there, and the thought being that since he's a true freshman, if it looks even close he's told to fair catch it. And there have been a number of times where we have no intention of running the punt back so we put Rex back there to fair catch.

I would like to see a return to the days where we never fair-caught any punts. We were a threat every time you kicked the ball. Today... not so much.

That probably won't ever happen again for two reasons. 1- you're normally behind the 20 or30 and Bo doesn't want to chance a turn over in that area. 2- Player safety. Many times this last year the kicks were high kicks. We've taught the guys to keep their eyes on the ball and if they kick is hanging they are to fair catch it so they aren't sitting ducks being laid out by the defenders and risking injury.

• Fire 1

I like the move. Special teams were dismal under JP and they need a jump start. Els does have some experience as Special Teams coach under Solich at Ohio. I don't think he can do worse than JP.

Huh?

I realize there is more to ST than kicking, but these are some of the best players the nation has seen the last few years at the position and you are calling our coaching in this area dismal???

ST includes kickers, but they are only the tip of the iceberg.........most good kickers are born, not made.

What??????

I would bet JP spends at most about 1% of his time with Maher. Mainly before a game when he asks "how you feeling? what's your leg got in it tonight, 45, 50, 55?" Kickers for the most part are on their own. They aren't "coached" during the season. Maher is what he is, because Josh Brown helped him during the summers, just like Maher/Henery will likely help the next guy down the road. Has little to nothing to do with JP and this is probably the last thing you'd want to use to evaluate your ST coordinator IMO.

I would bet JP spends at most about 1% of his time with Maher. Mainly before a game when he asks "how you feeling? what's your leg got in it tonight, 45, 50, 55?" Kickers for the most part are on their own. They aren't "coached" during the season. Maher is what he is, because Josh Brown helped him during the summers, just like Maher/Henery will likely help the next guy down the road. Has little to nothing to do with JP and this is probably the last thing you'd want to use to evaluate your ST coordinator IMO.

That kind of instruction is invaluable to our guys. It's fantastic that we have guys willing to come back and work with our new kickers.

Typical Bo. Ross Els is in Ohio. He should have brought in Frank Beamer. Frank is the best special team coach in the country. You suck Bo.
Exactly, he had a chance to make a splash with a big name hire and he blew it!

I'm puzzled by the insistence of folks on this board to always hire the 'splash hire'. There is no guarantee that this type of hire would be successful.

Typical Bo. Ross Els is in Ohio. He should have brought in Frank Beamer. Frank is the best special team coach in the country. You suck Bo.

Ok...I think people should be able to 'naysay' on this board but can't you do it without maligning Bo's character? If you think this decision 'sucks' (I hate that word!) then say that but don't say that Bo does because you don't know him. I'm sure there are lots of things that Bo does well that you like. If not then you might want to consider this: If you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all.?

Pretty sure GBGR was using the sarcasm font when he wrote that. Doesn't come through on all computers.

I agree with your assessment. So, what would it take to get us back to that point? I wonder if our guys are getting to the ball fast enough-when I think of our championship teams it seemed like they were down where the punt returner was in a matter of seconds defending that punt returner, opening lanes so that he could get through. I also think that the punt returner has to be confident. I think that will come with experience. What else needs to be done to improve our punt returns?

Pretty sure GBGR was using the sarcasm font when he wrote that. Doesn't come through on all computers.

Oh My! GBGR!!! I am SO sorry!!! I will take that off. My mistake!!! :( Please forgive!!

We never go after a punt.... When was the last time we tried to block one?

It's been a long time. Most teams have gone to the "secondary wall" method of punt protection, and we're typically sending two guys at that three-man wall. Not my favorite.

I recall Caveman blocking a punt and someone returning it last year, may have been against Idaho, and we may have scored on it. Not sure.

We never go after a punt.... When was the last time we tried to block one?

This might just be part of Bo's coaching mentality.

A punt means your defense is about to come off the field.. so it's not crazy to think Bo favors that situation over a possible penalty that keeps his defense on the field.

There are good arguments for both "block" and "return" calls...

Huh?

Most likely referring to the kick coverage aspect of the kick game under JP.

I agree 100%. Our punt return game has been way too passive.