South Carolina's D-line will provide tall challenge for NU

NUance

Listened to Steve Taylor on Sports Nightly last night and he seemed to indicate that the raw speed and athleticism of the SEC defenses is always kind of a shock when you first see it, but it can be adjusted to and overcome with some changes in how you attack (e.g. counters, traps) so that the speed/athleticism is turned on itself. Pretty interesting to hear for a fan like me who loves the game but never really gets into the weeds with the why and what for. Anyway, this should be an exciting match-up to watch.

This game reminds me a lot of the 2008 Gator Bowl. Clemson was accurately portrayed as having a fast, talented defense with an average offense. We were also a small underdog like we are in this game. Two of the biggest differences this year, however, will be our opponent having a mobile quarterback and Nebraska not having a guy like Joe Ganz.

Listened to Steve Taylor on Sports Nightly last night and he seemed to indicate that the raw speed and athleticism of the SEC defenses is always kind of a shock when you first see it, but it can be adjusted to and overcome with some changes in how you attack (e.g. counters, traps) so that the speed/athleticism is turned on itself. Pretty interesting to hear for a fan like me who loves the game but never really gets into the weeds with the why and what for. Anyway, this should be an exciting match-up to watch.

This game reminds me a lot of the 2008 Gator Bowl. Clemson was accurately portrayed as having a fast, talented defense with an average offense. We were also a small underdog like we are in this game. Two of the biggest differences this year, however, will be our opponent having a mobile quarterback and Nebraska not having a guy like Joe Ganz.

Good comparison. Here's my question.

2011 NU > 2008 NU

2011 SC > 2008 Clemsom

But by how much?

2011 NU > 2008 NU

2011 SC > 2008 Clemsom

But by how much?

One thing we don't have this year is Suh. He had 3 TFLs and 2 sacks against Clemson. They couldn't stop him all night.

I feel like this game on the NU side is going to rest almost solely in the hands of Rex Burkhead. Given NU's reliance on the run and considering both USC's strong pass defense combined with NU's inability to move the ball through the air its all going to come down to him. Interesting thought...Rex has had seven +100 yard games this year. USC has only allowed a player to rush for +100 yards three times.

Every conference game in which Rex struggled (<100yards) Nebraska lost (UW, UM and Northwestern)

The games in which USC allowed a RB to rack up +100 yards they either lost (Auburn) or allowed their opponents to linger dangerously close (UF-5pnt win UGA 3 pnt win)

So...as Rex goes so goes the game.

I feel like this game on the NU side is going to rest almost solely in the hands of Rex Burkhead. Given NU's reliance on the run and considering both USC's strong pass defense combined with NU's inability to move the ball through the air its all going to come down to him. Interesting thought...Rex has had seven +100 yard games this year. USC has only allowed a player to rush for +100 yards three times.

Every conference game in which Rex struggled (<100yards) Nebraska lost (UW, UM and Northwestern)

The games in which USC allowed a RB to rack up +100 yards they either lost (Auburn) or allowed their opponents to linger dangerously close (UF-5pnt win UGA 3 pnt win)

So...as Rex goes so goes the game.

I'd be hard pressed to think of any Husker, past or present, who I'd have more faith in carrying the team than Rex. Superman!

2011 NU > 2008 NU

2011 SC > 2008 Clemsom

But by how much?

Here is a pure statistical analysis for 2008.

Clemson

Defense

Points per game - 16.6

Yards per game - 294.8

Offense

Points per game - 25.5

Yards per game - 339.3

Nebraska

Defense

Points per game - 29.2

Yards per game - 361.5

Offense

Points per game - 36.2

Yards per game - 458.3

Here is a pure statistical analysis for 2011.

South Carolina

Defense

Points per game - 18.8

Yards per game - 268.9

Offense

Points per game - 30.1

Yards per game - 375.4

Nebraska

Defense

Points per game - 22.8

Yards per game - 350.7

Offense

Points per game - 30.5

Yards per game - 390.5

Extenuating factors aside - such as respective conferences, opponents, etc., the stats suggest minimal differences between Clemson's and South Carolina's defense. One gave up fewer points while giving up more yards while the other gave up more points and allowed fewer yards. Both units were in the Top 15 defensively. Offensively, South Carolina's offense is better than Clemson's.

For Nebraska, the defensive statistics are better while the offensive statistics are worse. In this game, South Carolina has an advantage defensively while Nebraska has a very slight advantage offensively. Nebraska had a significant advantage offensively over Clemson. But, these games are similar at the most basic of levels - Nebraska has the better offense, opponent has the better defense.

And in 2008, NU played a Big XII schedule and in 2011 they played a B1G schedule :D

I'm not looking at that bit, I'll leave the comparison of two Nebraska teams and their schedules to you Husker fans that know it better but I don't think you can compare two teams with similar statistics in which one played an ACC schedule and one played an SEC schedule and say that they are more or less equals.

Comparing Clemson and South Carolina is kind of comparing Apples to Oranges. 2008 Clemson played a fairly weak ACC schedule and got torn up. 2011 USC played an SEC schedule to make those numbers so its not really a fair comparison.

As I stated, extenuating factors aside, the teams are similar statistically. The SEC is clearly better now (and then) than what the ACC is now (and then). Furthermore, my argument isn't that these teams are similar, but that this game has a similar feel because the statistics are similar.

Comparing Clemson and South Carolina is kind of comparing Apples to Oranges. 2008 Clemson played a fairly weak ACC schedule and got torn up. 2011 USC played an SEC schedule to make those numbers so its not really a fair comparison.

As I stated, extenuating factors aside, the teams are similar statistically. The SEC is clearly better now (and then) than what the ACC is now (and then). Furthermore, my argument isn't that these teams are similar, but that this game has a similar feel because the statistics are similar.

I know, I read that. I'm just expanding on what I see to be a necessary point.

I know, I read that. I'm just expanding on what I see to be a necessary point.

No problem with that. I don't disagree with you at all, in fact. But that's why I put that in my post, in order to buffer any discussion on it.

idk at first their dline scared me but weve played some pretty decent d-lines this year. still i just don't think we match up all that well with this team, not like wisconsin not well, but to the point where any big mistake like a turnover on our side of the field might be too much to overcome.

idk at first their dline scared me but weve played some pretty decent d-lines this year. still i just don't think we match up all that well with this team, not like wisconsin not well, but to the point where any big mistake like a turnover on our side of the field might be too much to overcome.

Nebraska will have to play like they did against Michigan State in order to win - pound it with Burkhead, make a couple of important throws and make the opponent screw up.

This game is really going to be tough for us to win. We are going to have to play very well to do so.

What gives me confidence is that in early December something clicked with Bo and there was a huge sense of urgency around every minor detail. His "attention to detail was there." in his own words if you would. I am confident that you see a very well-coached NU team take on a very athletic USC team. This game could validate a lot of things. A win here does wonders and will make recruiting a bit easier. Very important game. Not the end of the world if we lose by any means though.