Fans Should expect more

[At some point, these kids are going to have to be accountable for what they are taught in practice. They are going to have to be responsible for their mistakes.

Exactly. They have to be held accountable. The person who doesn't hold them accountable is Bo Pelini. When Austin Cassidy makes mistake after mistake after mistake, yet starts game after game after game, there is no accountability. That is coaching. Bo can sit there and say he is coaching his players but they aren't doing what their coached to do, well Bo, do something about it.

How about the drive that had about 4 straight penalties? Who's to blame for that? We more than 90% of div 1 teams see boneheaded plays like this on the regular. That 90% was an estimation, wouldn't be surprised if it was higher. Bo is correct in saying the players need to execute better, BUT he may need to put in different personnel because a few players consistently make mistakes (Ciante Evans, Stafford)...maybe its due to inexperience at the D1 level...I hope so.

Marcel Jones was usually that guy getting the guaranteed 1-2 false starts per game. I don't recall Yoshi having much of a problem with this. I think it was just a result of him wanting to get off the ball quick given who he was facing opposite the line of scrimmage. The thing that gets me is how many drops our receivers have every game. I just don't understand what the problem is. I'd like to just say that some guys have it and some guys don't and the coaching isn't the problem, but I look back at guys that Ron Brown had who caught most everything who probably weren't highly recruited as receivers and I start to wonder...

Good point! That's all we can do, wonder. I watch other games and I think to myself, Why can't we play like that? The sad thing is we had all the momentum in our favor early and we pissed it away. We could of won big but the opposite occurred. They have a lot of work to do this off-season if they want to be great next year.

When I looked at that game yesterday, I only saw one unit on the field where we were simply outclassed, and that was our defensive line. Even with that, we still should have had control of the game. I just don't understand why we can't get the mistakes, dropped passes, etc. cleaned up. Maybe just maybe next year after running the same offense for consecutive years we will see some of these things disappear on offense. On defense, I was pleased with the LB and defensive back improvement throughout the year. Early on, it was looking like our D would be throttled by everyone we played. We really need an upgrade on talent for the defensive line though, otherwise we won't be able to win our division.

Am I the only one that feels the impatience? We all know that this was a tough year. New conference, big media hype that we sure didn't ask for, young players, injured players. Blah! I've been around for awhile and I can remember when they were about to run TO out on a rail when he 'couldn't win the big one'. I just wish we could be patient for a little while longer. Don't ask me why I think this I just do. If our boys would've executed all of their plays tonight we would've won then we wouldn't be having this conversation-or would we? Tom Osborne is a pretty shrewd judge of character. He sees something in Bo and in his decisions that keeps Bo here. Bo doesn't make these decisions alone. He has to have the approval of anyone he hires doesn't he? So my thought is that we just need a little more time.

Absolutely. See Christian Peter, Riley Jackson, Abdul Mahammad, Tyrone Williams, etc.

And I'm sure you would've recruited better. They qualified to go to college, they were able to play. Coaches aren't babysitters, they're mentors. Most care and they do what they can to not only prepare these young student-athletes on the field, but also for life. Read what T.O. has said in his books. Osborne knew that some of his players were coming from terrible situations from the inner cities. Is that a reason to shun them? I'm one of the few that disagree with T.O.'s agenda as an AD, but he had a unique opportunity to help kids that didn't have much growing up, and that's commendable. Good luck with your hypothetical stable of recruits like Johnny Appleseed from Mullen HS who loves Jesus but played football because he didn't want to work on the ranch very much and runs a 40 a step quicker than a tractor.

Very well, he looked past all of the transgressions of his players for their benefit and not his(Peter was arrested a total of eight times, and convicted four times. The charges included threatening to kill a parking attendant, trespassing, public urination, refusing to comply with police, illegal possession of alcohol, failure to appear in court, and grabbing a woman by the throat). Then he went on to pick a guy to replace him who had a drinking problem and was having affairs with women in the athletic department and also ended up getting a cheerleader pregnant, who later had to transfer to another school(but sure, he got fired for winning 9 games). You're right; TO is in fact a shrewd judge of character. And Ladyhawke, your statement "If our boys would've executed all of their plays tonight we would've won then we wouldn't be having this conversation-or would we?" is quite brilliant. Thank you for that. I feel better now about the state of our program.

Please tell me where I said that.

I don't recall Yoshi having much of a problem with this. I think it was just a result of him wanting to get off the ball quick given who he was facing opposite the line of scrimmage.

^^This. Clowney is a beast. Your guy pulled a tough assignment having to block him.

I'd be willing to give up part of my salary to bring that dude here. He's going to be a great one. His high school videos are almost comical. It's like a grown adult going against a bunch of 6th graders.

Bo needs to check his F***ing ego at the door! Stop saying we did't execute well. How about we were awful today! We were out coached! Changes need to be made for us to get to the next level! Stop with the execution crap. Next year we better win big and get to the B1G Champ. game or Bo needs to be on the hot seat. With the promotion of his buddy I'm afraid to see what the D is going to look like next season. Thanks BO for another mediocre season! We could have kept Billy C. for this type of $hitty football.

• Fire 1

Bo needs to check his F***ing ego at the door! Stop saying we did't execute well. How about we were awful today! We were out coached! Changes need to be made for us to get to the next level! Stop with the execution crap. Next year we better win big and get to the B1G Champ. game or Bo needs to be on the hot seat. With the promotion of his buddy I'm afraid to see what the D is going to look like next season. Thanks BO for another mediocre season! We could have kept Billy C. for this type of $hitty football.

If you enjoy not making bowl games then by all means let's re-hire BC.

If you enjoy not making bowl games then by all means let's re-hire BC.

I'm not saying I want BC back, but mediocrity is not what I want either. Next yr we may not make a bowl game. T-Ragic at QB, Cotton continuing to be a $hitty line coach, and JP not knowing what the hell he's doing. I can't wait!

"Our guys didn't do what they were coached to do," Pelini said of the play. "Period. End of story."

I find this to be very concerning. You don't throw your team under the bus like this. These are YOUR players, Pelini and it's YOUR responsibility to get them to play like you coach them to.

You'll find this out when you have kids. Bo's not throwing the team under the bus-he's just telling the truth. You can coach a kid til you're blue in the face but if they don't do what you've coached them to do then what can you do? When you tell your kid, 'Don't touch that hot stove, it will burn you!' and they turn around and touch it, what can you do? So how is it Bo's responsibility to get them to play like he coaches them? He can't go out on the field and hold their hand! My point is this: At some point, these kids are going to have to be accountable for what they are taught in practice. They are going to have to be responsible for their mistakes. No one says anything when these kids do what they were coached to do. Everything is fine then. But when they don't execute it's all the coach's fault. I'm sorry, I don't buy that. Do we have problems? Yep. But can we really blame all of this on the coach?

lol, That post is amazing on so many levels. I can see that coaching technique you speak of. Coach:"Hey kid, don't let that WR score a TD." WR streaks past DB and scores. Coach: "Dammit, you didn't listen. I CLEARLY told you to not let him score and you ignored me and he scored a TD." Coach in post game presser: "Lack of execution, we need more talent."

We clearly have coaching problems. Every season is basically the same thing. All players are different, yet we still see the same trends. That is on coaching, plain and simple. Look at our offense for example. The past 3 seasons it has started off very well and has, over the course of the season, eroded to pretty much pathetic by seasons end. Mistakes, penalties, poor execution, whatever the excuse, it's always the same.

We're going to make a bowl game next year. I'm assuming you're not fond of Taylor and see that you showed up after our loss to Northwestern...I guess I won't take too much of what you say with a whole lot of salt.

I'm glad you won't be. Guess we will see what T-ragic and JP do next year. I hope you enjoy mediocrity, because we're about to see another season of it.

"Our guys didn't do what they were coached to do," Pelini said of the play. "Period. End of story."

I find this to be very concerning. You don't throw your team under the bus like this. These are YOUR players, Pelini and it's YOUR responsibility to get them to play like you coach them to.

You'll find this out when you have kids. Bo's not throwing the team under the bus-he's just telling the truth. You can coach a kid til you're blue in the face but if they don't do what you've coached them to do then what can you do? When you tell your kid, 'Don't touch that hot stove, it will burn you!' and they turn around and touch it, what can you do? So how is it Bo's responsibility to get them to play like he coaches them? He can't go out on the field and hold their hand! My point is this: At some point, these kids are going to have to be accountable for what they are taught in practice. They are going to have to be responsible for their mistakes. No one says anything when these kids do what they were coached to do. Everything is fine then. But when they don't execute it's all the coach's fault. I'm sorry, I don't buy that. Do we have problems? Yep. But can we really blame all of this on the coach?

Wrong... Coaching 101: When you win, heap praise on the players and your assistants, when you lose it's your fault, just how it is. It IS Bo's responsiblty to get them to play how he coaches, we pay him mountains of money to do just that, it is in his job discription, he isnt a parent, he is a coach big difference. Bo is the face of this program, he should not publicly throw his players under the bus, these are kids, not pros.

I disagree. At some point these kids have GOT to start taking responsibility. What do we want Bo to do? Go out and hold their hand? He can coach them, talk to them, go through the motions with them but in the end they have to execute the play. I also disagree that there is a big difference between being a parent and being a coach. We coach our kids every day of their lives. But in the end they are the ones that make the decisions/choices in their lives. It's the same with these players. They have to make good choices. (Please know that I'm disagreeing with you with the utmost respect :)) My biggest gripe with Bo is that he isn't playing his entire team. Man! If a kid isn't getting it done, pull him and put someone else in. It's a team! Play like a team. Good grief! If the player is having a 'bad hair day' take him out and put someone in who IS ready to play and who might make a difference. Look how long Callahan made Ganz sit the bench! I can just imagine how many more games we would've won had Joe Ganz been our starting quarterback. Blah! Bo has GOT to start using ALL of his players. He just has to! (end of rant ;))

[At some point, these kids are going to have to be accountable for what they are taught in practice. They are going to have to be responsible for their mistakes.

Exactly. They have to be held accountable. The person who doesn't hold them accountable is Bo Pelini. When Austin Cassidy makes mistake after mistake after mistake, yet starts game after game after game, there is no accountability. That is coaching. Bo can sit there and say he is coaching his players but they aren't doing what their coached to do, well Bo, do something about it.

How about the drive that had about 4 straight penalties? Who's to blame for that? We more than 90% of div 1 teams see boneheaded plays like this on the regular. That 90% was an estimation, wouldn't be surprised if it was higher. Bo is correct in saying the players need to execute better, BUT he may need to put in different personnel because a few players consistently make mistakes (Ciante Evans, Cassidy, Stafford,etc)...maybe its due to inexperience at the D1 level...I hope so.

Yes. I totally agree with this. Bo needs to pull those kids who are NOT executing. That is what I don't understand.