Fans Should expect more

Am I the only one that feels the impatience? We all know that this was a tough year. New conference, big media hype that we sure didn't ask for, young players, injured players. Blah! I've been around for awhile and I can remember when they were about to run TO out on a rail when he 'couldn't win the big one'. I just wish we could be patient for a little while longer. Don't ask me why I think this I just do. If our boys would've executed all of their plays tonight we would've won then we wouldn't be having this conversation-or would we? Tom Osborne is a pretty shrewd judge of character. He sees something in Bo and in his decisions that keeps Bo here. Bo doesn't make these decisions alone. He has to have the approval of anyone he hires doesn't he? So my thought is that we just need a little more time.

Absolutely. See Christian Peter, Riley Jackson, Abdul Mahammad, Tyrone Williams, etc.

And I'm sure you would've recruited better. They qualified to go to college, they were able to play. Coaches aren't babysitters, they're mentors. Most care and they do what they can to not only prepare these young student-athletes on the field, but also for life. Read what T.O. has said in his books. Osborne knew that some of his players were coming from terrible situations from the inner cities. Is that a reason to shun them? I'm one of the few that disagree with T.O.'s agenda as an AD, but he had a unique opportunity to help kids that didn't have much growing up, and that's commendable. Good luck with your hypothetical stable of recruits like Johnny Appleseed from Mullen HS who loves Jesus but played football because he didn't want to work on the ranch very much and runs a 40 a step quicker than a tractor.

Very well, he looked past all of the transgressions of his players for their benefit and not his(Peter was arrested a total of eight times, and convicted four times. The charges included threatening to kill a parking attendant, trespassing, public urination, refusing to comply with police, illegal possession of alcohol, failure to appear in court, and grabbing a woman by the throat). Then he went on to pick a guy to replace him who had a drinking problem and was having affairs with women in the athletic department and also ended up getting a cheerleader pregnant, who later had to transfer to another school(but sure, he got fired for winning 9 games). You're right; TO is in fact a shrewd judge of character. And Ladyhawke, your statement "If our boys would've executed all of their plays tonight we would've won then we wouldn't be having this conversation-or would we?" is quite brilliant. Thank you for that. I feel better now about the state of our program.

I'm not sure how to take this. Clarify? Thanks.

[At some point, these kids are going to have to be accountable for what they are taught in practice. They are going to have to be responsible for their mistakes.

Exactly. They have to be held accountable. The person who doesn't hold them accountable is Bo Pelini. When Austin Cassidy makes mistake after mistake after mistake, yet starts game after game after game, there is no accountability. That is coaching. Bo can sit there and say he is coaching his players but they aren't doing what their coached to do, well Bo, do something about it.

How about the drive that had about 4 straight penalties? Who's to blame for that? We more than 90% of div 1 teams see boneheaded plays like this on the regular. That 90% was an estimation, wouldn't be surprised if it was higher. Bo is correct in saying the players need to execute better, BUT he may need to put in different personnel because a few players consistently make mistakes (Ciante Evans, Stafford)...maybe its due to inexperience at the D1 level...I hope so.

Marcel Jones was usually that guy getting the guaranteed 1-2 false starts per game. I don't recall Yoshi having much of a problem with this. I think it was just a result of him wanting to get off the ball quick given who he was facing opposite the line of scrimmage. The thing that gets me is how many drops our receivers have every game. I just don't understand what the problem is. I'd like to just say that some guys have it and some guys don't and the coaching isn't the problem, but I look back at guys that Ron Brown had who caught most everything who probably weren't highly recruited as receivers and I start to wonder...

Do you remember how Ron Brown used to teach them how to catch the ball? There was some technique that either he or someone else he knew developed and they used it to teach kids how to successfully catch the ball. I remember those times too. You would think if someone on the team (coach-wise) has a talent in this area that he would be allowed to use it. ???

Am I the only one that feels the impatience? We all know that this was a tough year. New conference, big media hype that we sure didn't ask for, young players, injured players. Blah! I've been around for awhile and I can remember when they were about to run TO out on a rail when he 'couldn't win the big one'. I just wish we could be patient for a little while longer. Don't ask me why I think this I just do. If our boys would've executed all of their plays tonight we would've won then we wouldn't be having this conversation-or would we? Tom Osborne is a pretty shrewd judge of character. He sees something in Bo and in his decisions that keeps Bo here. Bo doesn't make these decisions alone. He has to have the approval of anyone he hires doesn't he? So my thought is that we just need a little more time.

Absolutely. See Christian Peter, Riley Jackson, Abdul Mahammad, Tyrone Williams, etc.

And I'm sure you would've recruited better. They qualified to go to college, they were able to play. Coaches aren't babysitters, they're mentors. Most care and they do what they can to not only prepare these young student-athletes on the field, but also for life. Read what T.O. has said in his books. Osborne knew that some of his players were coming from terrible situations from the inner cities. Is that a reason to shun them? I'm one of the few that disagree with T.O.'s agenda as an AD, but he had a unique opportunity to help kids that didn't have much growing up, and that's commendable. Good luck with your hypothetical stable of recruits like Johnny Appleseed from Mullen HS who loves Jesus but played football because he didn't want to work on the ranch very much and runs a 40 a step quicker than a tractor.

Very well, he looked past all of the transgressions of his players for their benefit and not his(Peter was arrested a total of eight times, and convicted four times. The charges included threatening to kill a parking attendant, trespassing, public urination, refusing to comply with police, illegal possession of alcohol, failure to appear in court, and grabbing a woman by the throat). Then he went on to pick a guy to replace him who had a drinking problem and was having affairs with women in the athletic department and also ended up getting a cheerleader pregnant, who later had to transfer to another school(but sure, he got fired for winning 9 games). You're right; TO is in fact a shrewd judge of character. And Ladyhawke, your statement "If our boys would've executed all of their plays tonight we would've won then we wouldn't be having this conversation-or would we?" is quite brilliant. Thank you for that. I feel better now about the state of our program.

Please tell me where I said that.

You didn't say it, I did. TO IS a shrewd judge of character because he doesn't just look at a person one dimensionally. He looks at what that person could become in his life time. He's been around awhile. He sees potential in people that other folks don't see. Is he always 100% correct? No, no one is perfect. But look at how many of those boys turned out? They are now respectable young guys, raising their families. TO could've kicked them off the team, never given them a chance, but he saw something in them and for the most part he was right.

"Our guys didn't do what they were coached to do," Pelini said of the play. "Period. End of story."

I find this to be very concerning. You don't throw your team under the bus like this. These are YOUR players, Pelini and it's YOUR responsibility to get them to play like you coach them to.

You'll find this out when you have kids. Bo's not throwing the team under the bus-he's just telling the truth. You can coach a kid til you're blue in the face but if they don't do what you've coached them to do then what can you do? When you tell your kid, 'Don't touch that hot stove, it will burn you!' and they turn around and touch it, what can you do? So how is it Bo's responsibility to get them to play like he coaches them? He can't go out on the field and hold their hand! My point is this: At some point, these kids are going to have to be accountable for what they are taught in practice. They are going to have to be responsible for their mistakes. No one says anything when these kids do what they were coached to do. Everything is fine then. But when they don't execute it's all the coach's fault. I'm sorry, I don't buy that. Do we have problems? Yep. But can we really blame all of this on the coach?

lol, That post is amazing on so many levels. I can see that coaching technique you speak of. Coach:"Hey kid, don't let that WR score a TD." WR streaks past DB and scores. Coach: "Dammit, you didn't listen. I CLEARLY told you to not let him score and you ignored me and he scored a TD." Coach in post game presser: "Lack of execution, we need more talent."

We clearly have coaching problems. Every season is basically the same thing. All players are different, yet we still see the same trends. That is on coaching, plain and simple. Look at our offense for example. The past 3 seasons it has started off very well and has, over the course of the season, eroded to pretty much pathetic by seasons end. Mistakes, penalties, poor execution, whatever the excuse, it's always the same.

What should they do? Go out and hold the players hand? Make the play for them? Sorry but at some point they HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR POSITION. If they can't do that then they need to be pulled but Bo isn't willing to do that. THAT Is what sticks in my craw.

And there is the problem. He will not pull the kids, he will not play freshmen, why, because he knows the aftermath if they fail. It is better to go with what he feels is best than to listen to the other side. Sometimes you just have to take a chance, try to make it work. Lead.

We are too hard on Bo on some things and then way to easy on others. We do the same thing with him that he does with the kids. If I pull you you may quit and then what do I do. We will lose, the fans the boosters will all be mad.

We continually give him pay raises that he has not earned nor deserves because he may leave. We overlook things that are wrong because we pay him too much and can not justify correction with out the thought of him going else where.

Kinda funny when you step back and look at it.

He needs a couple more years to get his stuff together, I think he will, I pray he does.

But absolutely no more pay raises for Bo until he actually wins something of importance. I would even settle for a division championship. That is how far I have lowered my expectations.

• Fire 1

And there is the problem. He will not pull the kids, he will not play freshmen, why, because he knows the aftermath if they fail. It is better to go with what he feels is best than to listen to the other side. Sometimes you just have to take a chance, try to make it work. Lead.

We are too hard on Bo on some things and then way to easy on others. We do the same thing with him that he does with the kids. If I pull you you may quit and then what do I do. We will lose, the fans the boosters will all be mad.

We continually give him pay raises that he has not earned nor deserves because he may leave. We overlook things that are wrong because we pay him too much and can not justify correction with out the thought of him going else where.

Kinda funny when you step back and look at it.

He needs a couple more years to get his stuff together, I think he will, I pray he does.

But absolutely no more pay raises for Bo until he actually wins something of importance. I would even settle for a division championship. That is how far I have lowered my expectations.

Nice post.

I didn't like this article, instead of putting out the flames, Sipple seems to squirt lighter fluid on them.

I agree with those who say and believe that you can only do so much in teaching somebody something, it is up to them to make the leap to apply it in life.

That goes for everything, not just football.

But people will criticize no matter what.

For those calling out Bo on recruiting, where the heck is this coming from? I don't understand it. I think he has done a very good job recruiting and that goes with the rest of the coaches (even the ones who aren't with us). I seem to remember last year Nebraska had the best recruiting class when it came to Offensive Linemen, only one of which actually saw the field this year (Tyler Moore). But people want to say his recruiting sucks, based off this year's recruiting class, which most of us should know is going to be a small class.

As for the Bo recruiting a QB thing, first off, Shawn Watson was the one who recruited most of the QB's we have at Nebraska right now. I'm sure Bo was involved too, but looking at it under Bo Pelini our recruited QB's have been Cody Green (transferred), Taylor Martinez (who was recruited as an athlete), Brion Carnes (because Tyler Gabbert decommitted), Jamal Turner (who moved to WR). Bubba Starling went to play baseball, that sucked. Everyone else is a walk on or was here before Pelini got here.

Tommy Armstrong would be the first QB to commit to Nebraska under Pelini and Watson wasn't here. So just admit that the QB situation isn't Bo's fault, its just been really bad luck.

"Our guys didn't do what they were coached to do," Pelini said of the play. "Period. End of story."

I find this to be very concerning. You don't throw your team under the bus like this. These are YOUR players, Pelini and it's YOUR responsibility to get them to play like you coach them to.

You'll find this out when you have kids. Bo's not throwing the team under the bus-he's just telling the truth. You can coach a kid til you're blue in the face but if they don't do what you've coached them to do then what can you do? When you tell your kid, 'Don't touch that hot stove, it will burn you!' and they turn around and touch it, what can you do? So how is it Bo's responsibility to get them to play like he coaches them? He can't go out on the field and hold their hand! My point is this: At some point, these kids are going to have to be accountable for what they are taught in practice. They are going to have to be responsible for their mistakes. No one says anything when these kids do what they were coached to do. Everything is fine then. But when they don't execute it's all the coach's fault. I'm sorry, I don't buy that. Do we have problems? Yep. But can we really blame all of this on the coach?

If you've played competitive sports, then you know that it doesn't matter how true Bo's words were, a coach does not publicly put blame on his players. That is something that is to be done in a private setting. Publicly throwing your team under the bus is how you lose your locker room. And yes, when players consistently do not execute, that burden rests squarely upon the shoulders of the coaches. It is their job (that they are very well payed for) to insure these young men are ready to play week in and week out.

Could not have stated it better. I have 3 boys, 2 of them chose multiple sports to play through High School and looks like my youngest will take it to the college level. I do not like coaches. I tolerate them. How many times do you see a coach play favorites over another player, ALWAYS. If there is a lack of consistent play, put someone in that wants to be there but don't leave them in and then call them out in the press. Save it for the locker room. It falls directly on the shoulders of the coaches do get the team ready.

What kind of bogus made-up stat is 10-7 in the last 17 games? How does this season and the last four games of last season become some benchmark? Talk about arbitrarily choosing a time frame to support some bogus point.

We went 10-4 last year, 9-4 this year. That's 19-8 over our last 27 games. That's a real time frame to look at, not something arbitrarily contrived to produce a point.

Things get fuzzy when you start bringing out facts..................I can make the facts say anything want. Fact is Bo Pelini came here to destroy NU football..................that's what I see! :sarcasm

What kind of bogus made-up stat is 10-7 in the last 17 games? How does this season and the last four games of last season become some benchmark? Talk about arbitrarily choosing a time frame to support some bogus point.

We went 10-4 last year, 9-4 this year. That's 19-8 over our last 27 games. That's a real time frame to look at, not something arbitrarily contrived to produce a point.

Good one Knap. How bout this? We're 2-3 in our last 5. Last year in our last 4 we were 1-3. :ahhhhhhhh 08 ended 4-0, 09 ended 6-1. We were 11-1 in a 12 game stretch from end ot 09 into '10, extend that a few games farther and it's 15-2. Oh wow, we won 15 of a 17 game stretch? That's just horrible.

I read so much bs spewing out in this thread. Seems everyone here has it figured out. I had so much to say, but things come to mind faster than I can type.

That's putting emphasis on the end of (two) seasons. Much like putting the emphasis on our lack of 2nd half adjustments the last decade or so.

May be unfair, but it is relevant.

lol, That post is amazing on so many levels. I can see that coaching technique you speak of. Coach:"Hey kid, don't let that WR score a TD." WR streaks past DB and scores. Coach: "Dammit, you didn't listen. I CLEARLY told you to not let him score and you ignored me and he scored a TD." Coach in post game presser: "Lack of execution, we need more talent."

We clearly have coaching problems. Every season is basically the same thing. All players are different, yet we still see the same trends. That is on coaching, plain and simple. Look at our offense for example. The past 3 seasons it has started off very well and has, over the course of the season, eroded to pretty much pathetic by seasons end. Mistakes, penalties, poor execution, whatever the excuse, it's always the same.

What should they do? Go out and hold the players hand? Make the play for them? Sorry but at some point they HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR POSITION. If they can't do that then they need to be pulled but Bo isn't willing to do that. THAT Is what sticks in my craw.

You defend the coaches and say it is all on the players, yet you say that it drives you nuts that players don't get pulled. That is EXACTLY what should happen. Accountability is the key. We seem to hold some play WAY too accountable, Jamal Turner, yet some players seem to have no accountability, Tim Marlow. One guy drops a pass and it is benchville while the other guy drops a pass and nothing happens. Players, especially amateur players, need consistency.

In a post a little above this one, a poster mentioned when player "consistently do not execute" that it is on the coaches. That is hitting the nail on the head. Flukes happen, bad plays happen, occasional penalties happen, that is not what we are seeing at NU. We are seeing a pattern that has stemmed for seasons. That is coach, not personnel.