Fans Should expect more

I expect more. But I'm also willing to give Bo a little time. We just changed conference's. We have a first year OC. It take's a little time. Very few first time HC's win MNC's in their first 4 years.

Get ready for some hater to provide 1 or 2 examples.

Yeah I know. Sad but true.

The most disturbing thing to me isn't what was said, rather it's how mentally soft this team is. We played pretty good football for half the game. The score right before half seemed to deflate this team. It wasn't just one part of the team either. The OL broke down and just plain played horrible in the second half. Martinez played poorly the second half. The defense played poorly the second half. It reminded me a lot of the Wisconsin game. We came out blazing, but then things started to steamroll us and mentally we just collapsed. It's almost as if this team is just waiting for something else bad to happen after one bad thing happens. South Carolina has more talent on their team than we do, but we played with them until we mentally collapsed. This is what disappoints and disturbs me the most.

I expect more. But I'm also willing to give Bo a little time. We just changed conference's. We have a first year OC. It take's a little time. Very few first time HC's win MNC's in their first 4 years.

Get ready for some hater to provide 1 or 2 examples.

no ones griping about not winning the MNC. We're hating becauase we haven't even seen a BCS game of any calibre. Quite a few first time HC's make BCS bowls in their first 4 years.

is BO just that bad at recruiting? he is not progressing from his second year. and we looked very undersized yesterday and the athletic disparity was quite apparent.

what-if-im-not-sure-if-serious-or-trolling.jpg

He actually has a point if you take off your homer glasses. Pelini has not been a great recruiter and look at our defense this year. We had an amazing lb and a good Dt in Crick. When our defense was one of the best in the nation, they were mostly Callahan's recruits. Pelini hasnt recruited many good players. Dont get me wrong, Pelini is an great coach but he seems to be a horrible recruiter. I still think he should get two more years to turn things around, if things dont turn around in two years then we need to get rid of him, he may just be defensive coordinator material.

He actually has a point if you take off your homer glasses. Pelini has not been a great recruiter and look at our defense this year. We had an amazing lb and a good Dt in Crick. When our defense was one of the best in the nation, they were mostly Callahan's recruits. Pelini hasnt recruited many good players. Dont get me wrong, Pelini is an great coach but he seems to be a horrible recruiter. I still think he should get two more years to turn things around, if things dont turn around in two years then we need to get rid of him, he may just be defensive coordinator material.

08' class was a transition class. 09' wasn't great. 10' was pretty damn good, and 11' was even better. 12' you can't judge until february (really for another 4-5 years). There isn't enough to go on to claim he's a horrible recruiter. Have we landed that 5* running back yet? Nope...but he did get Burkhead which I'd take over most any other running back in the game. He's recruited Gomes, David & Dennard - all playing on Sundays (or will be).

Bo's only issue recruiting IMO is that in 4 classes he hasn't laned a QB worth a dang. Martinez isn't bad...but in a sport that revolves around the ability of your QB (there aren't many LSU type teams out there)...he needs to land his QB of the future. We'd have 11 wins this season with a Ganz type of guy. It doesn't take much, he doesn't need a Cam Newton...just someone manageable. Maybe Martinez can still be that guy. 13' is a long ways away though. Not sure we can survive 12'.

Am I the only one that feels the impatience? We all know that this was a tough year. New conference, big media hype that we sure didn't ask for, young players, injured players. Blah! I've been around for awhile and I can remember when they were about to run TO out on a rail when he 'couldn't win the big one'. I just wish we could be patient for a little while longer. Don't ask me why I think this I just do. If our boys would've executed all of their plays tonight we would've won then we wouldn't be having this conversation-or would we? Tom Osborne is a pretty shrewd judge of character. He sees something in Bo and in his decisions that keeps Bo here. Bo doesn't make these decisions alone. He has to have the approval of anyone he hires doesn't he? So my thought is that we just need a little more time.

Absolutely. See Christian Peter, Riley Jackson, Abdul Mahammad, Tyrone Williams, etc.

And I'm sure you would've recruited better. They qualified to go to college, they were able to play. Coaches aren't babysitters, they're mentors. Most care and they do what they can to not only prepare these young student-athletes on the field, but also for life. Read what T.O. has said in his books. Osborne knew that some of his players were coming from terrible situations from the inner cities. Is that a reason to shun them? I'm one of the few that disagree with T.O.'s agenda as an AD, but he had a unique opportunity to help kids that didn't have much growing up, and that's commendable. Good luck with your hypothetical stable of recruits like Johnny Appleseed from Mullen HS who loves Jesus but played football because he didn't want to work on the ranch very much and runs a 40 a step quicker than a tractor.

"Our guys didn't do what they were coached to do," Pelini said of the play. "Period. End of story."

I find this to be very concerning. You don't throw your team under the bus like this. These are YOUR players, Pelini and it's YOUR responsibility to get them to play like you coach them to.

As an outsider looking in, I'll agree with you.

My take, again as an outsider, was I was impressed with your players, they made some great plays. A lot of the mistakes I saw were mental mistakes and ultimately I always blame those on how well they've been coached. I was NOT impressed by your coach(es). Take that for what it's worth.

That's the way Bo is. He's a fiery guy and wants to see things called squarely. I'm not impressed by Steve Spurrier when things don't go his way either. And I'm not impressed with Mack Brown or Frank Beamer or any other coach when things don't go there way [and I'm not talking about penalties, just the overall flow of the game].

What kind of bogus made-up stat is 10-7 in the last 17 games? How does this season and the last four games of last season become some benchmark? Talk about arbitrarily choosing a time frame to support some bogus point. We went 10-4 last year, 9-4 this year. That's 19-8 over our last 27 games. That's a real time frame to look at, not something arbitrarily contrived to produce a point.
yeah, but you've got 7-8 built in wins there w/ our cup-cake non-con schedule. (i know every team does as well). but when you look at the games that actually matter, we're sitting at like 12-8ish.

13-8 against BCS conference schools in that time frame (actually 26-16 in 4 years) which stinks anyway people try to spin it. Like I said that is Billy C-ish.

What kind of bogus made-up stat is 10-7 in the last 17 games? How does this season and the last four games of last season become some benchmark? Talk about arbitrarily choosing a time frame to support some bogus point. We went 10-4 last year, 9-4 this year. That's 19-8 over our last 27 games. That's a real time frame to look at, not something arbitrarily contrived to produce a point.
yeah, but you've got 7-8 built in wins there w/ our cup-cake non-con schedule. (i know every team does as well). but when you look at the games that actually matter, we're sitting at like 12-8ish.

13-8 against BCS conference schools in that time frame (actually 26-16 in 4 years) which stinks anyway people try to spin it. Like I said that is Billy C-ish.

It's funny that you use a coach you defend as a way to dig a coach you don't like.

It's funny that you use a coach you defend as a way to dig a coach you don't like.

I like Bo just fine (growing tired of him though) and only defended Billy C against the double standards that are allowed.

I like Bo just fine (growing tired of him though) and only defended Billy C against the double standards that are allowed.

Do you really think Bill Callahan did anything in his time here that is worth defending four years after his ouster? I cannot imagine defending a guy who so wholly embodied what this program is not for this long.

I couldn't agree more with Sip's article. He put it much better than I could have- I guess that's why that is his job and I'm just a no account internet poster. I have mixed feelings on what Pelini said about the Hail Mary. On one hand, I am absolutely sure they have been coached to defend that play the right way (which they did not execute), so I can sympathize with the truth. But, I'm not sure you throw your players under the bus like that (even though it is more than apparent that a lot of our problems this year would appear to be players not doing what they have been coached to do). I'll let it go this time but Bo & Co. need to accept more responsibility for the lack of execution that is piling up around this program. Here and there you can blame players but when it is as wide spread as it has been then I think that hints at deeper problems with preparation, method, and motivation.

Not valid. We won an MNC after we expanded our conferecne... We played for an MNC after we changed head coahces. Bo was asked if he was going to change his style of play due to the move to B1G, he said something to the tune of "we will make them play our football, not the other way around". That is how elite teams play. It doesnt matter where, when, or who, you play, you make them play your game and if they dont they lose. We do not do that.

Am I the only one that feels the impatience? We all know that this was a tough year. New conference, big media hype that we sure didn't ask for, young players, injured players. Blah! I've been around for awhile and I can remember when they were about to run TO out on a rail when he 'couldn't win the big one'. I just wish we could be patient for a little while longer. Don't ask me why I think this I just do. If our boys would've executed all of their plays tonight we would've won then we wouldn't be having this conversation-or would we? Tom Osborne is a pretty shrewd judge of character. He sees something in Bo and in his decisions that keeps Bo here. Bo doesn't make these decisions alone. He has to have the approval of anyone he hires doesn't he? So my thought is that we just need a little more time.

Absolutely. See Christian Peter, Riley Jackson, Abdul Mahammad, Tyrone Williams, etc.

And I'm sure you would've recruited better. They qualified to go to college, they were able to play. Coaches aren't babysitters, they're mentors. Most care and they do what they can to not only prepare these young student-athletes on the field, but also for life. Read what T.O. has said in his books. Osborne knew that some of his players were coming from terrible situations from the inner cities. Is that a reason to shun them? I'm one of the few that disagree with T.O.'s agenda as an AD, but he had a unique opportunity to help kids that didn't have much growing up, and that's commendable. Good luck with your hypothetical stable of recruits like Johnny Appleseed from Mullen HS who loves Jesus but played football because he didn't want to work on the ranch very much and runs a 40 a step quicker than a tractor.

Very well, he looked past all of the transgressions of his players for their benefit and not his(Peter was arrested a total of eight times, and convicted four times. The charges included threatening to kill a parking attendant, trespassing, public urination, refusing to comply with police, illegal possession of alcohol, failure to appear in court, and grabbing a woman by the throat). Then he went on to pick a guy to replace him who had a drinking problem and was having affairs with women in the athletic department and also ended up getting a cheerleader pregnant, who later had to transfer to another school(but sure, he got fired for winning 9 games). You're right; TO is in fact a shrewd judge of character. And Ladyhawke, your statement "If our boys would've executed all of their plays tonight we would've won then we wouldn't be having this conversation-or would we?" is quite brilliant. Thank you for that. I feel better now about the state of our program.

• Fire 1

[At some point, these kids are going to have to be accountable for what they are taught in practice. They are going to have to be responsible for their mistakes.

Exactly. They have to be held accountable. The person who doesn't hold them accountable is Bo Pelini. When Austin Cassidy makes mistake after mistake after mistake, yet starts game after game after game, there is no accountability. That is coaching. Bo can sit there and say he is coaching his players but they aren't doing what their coached to do, well Bo, do something about it.

How about the drive that had about 4 straight penalties? Who's to blame for that? We more than 90% of div 1 teams see boneheaded plays like this on the regular. That 90% was an estimation, wouldn't be surprised if it was higher. Bo is correct in saying the players need to execute better, BUT he may need to put in different personnel because a few players consistently make mistakes (Ciante Evans, Cassidy, Stafford,etc)...maybe its due to inexperience at the D1 level...I hope so.