I hope Turner or another QB gets a long hard look this offseason.

I also like having that much experience returning at the QB position but I think the point of many here is that with taylors limitations the rest of the offense has to almost perfect. Taylor didn't posses the ability to get us out of certain situatuon. Admittedly it's not all his fault we can't convert a 3rd and anything over 6 yards. It seems like out play calling gets predictable in those situations. Also everyone says Taylor has cut down on mistakes but I look at it like he has also been put in far less situations where he could fail.

If we have a better QB than Martinez, put him on the field. I don't think anyone is such a Martinez fan boy that they would be upset with this. But to focus on Martinez' limitations and ignore those of our WRs (dropped passes, bad routes), OL (missed blocks, blown assignments) RBs (more missed blocks and dropped passes) is to fail to see the whole picture.

It's easy to focus on the QB and say we need to make a switch. But we could pull in a JUCO stud to take over and run this thing, and with our other errors in other areas, nothing gets fixed.

• Fire 1

The backup quarterback is often the most popular person on the team.

That's 100% correct. So give him a series or two, if he flops, then the question is answered. The thing is, no one, not Bo, not us fans, no one, can say how "the backup" might have performed if given an opportunity. Because he never was given that opportunity.

If he flops, the third string becomes the most popular.

3rd string? I guess you're implying that there's also a second string? Unless you're referring to Burkhead running the wildcat, there are no other QB's at Nebraska.

Ha ha wow! The difference is when they ran, they ran for open field or broke the tackle getting to it. You can talk about O-Lines all day but Taylor doesn't possess near the instincts those three men did.

The difference when they ran was what kind of blocking they had. You can talk about vague qualities like instincts all day long but Taylor doesn't have 10% as good of Oline as those three did.

He also doesn't have 10% of those vague qualities like instincts(see all the QB draw plays where he is normally sideways getting clobbered or when the pocket collapses and he looks completely lost). Not sure how you can say the offensive line isn't 10% as good. I mean, we did rush for over 200 yds per game, so that makes it more like 50 - 60% good since you are so big on statistics.

Oh, of course you're right that I can't quantify this year's Oline with the Olines we had in the 70s, 80s & 90s. It's just my eyeball test. 10% is too harsh, my error.

I just can't imagine any NU fan that would state our current Oline is anywhere even remotely close to the road-graders we used to have for performance "or" mistake frequency. Again, I think Tmart & SuperRex get a "lot" of their plays mostly due to their own ability (Tmart's unreal acceleration & SRex shaking off tackles like fies). Not due to rambling through massive holes that I.M. Hipp, Rozier, Redwine, DuBose, End Zone Jones, etc, ect used to see a lot almost every game. Put those two behind a Uncle Milt's Oline and they're unstoppable imo.

I can mostly agree with what you're saying here. But Martinez to me as a runner doesn't pass my eyeball test. He just isn't instinctive. I will agree that Rex's output has more to do with Rex than what the line is giving him. One of the young guys probably would have had less ypc under the same circumstances. Rex, desipite not having big top end speed passes my eyeball test. He seemingly always makes the right cut or hits the right spot, which is easier said than done with this offensive line.

I will agree with you that with a better offensive line we'd be just fine with Martinez, because he'd probably be breaking a couple 50+ yd runs a game. But on the flip side, with a good offensive line that opens up big holes, I almost think we'd be better suited for mixing in smaller speedier backs because they could probably take some to the house as well where Rex would get caught.

I guess I'm of the opinion that because of our offensive line not being where it needs to be, a game-changing type QB would be a big help. If Martinez was better at scrambling when the pocket collapses and making a few yards out of nothing instead of taking a sack then I'd be a lot higher on him.

I respect your opinion so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

If we have a better QB than Martinez, put him on the field. I don't think anyone is such a Martinez fan boy that they would be upset with this. But to focus on Martinez' limitations and ignore those of our WRs (dropped passes, bad routes), OL (missed blocks, blown assignments) RBs (more missed blocks and dropped passes) is to fail to see the whole picture.

It's easy to focus on the QB and say we need to make a switch. But we could pull in a JUCO stud to take over and run this thing, and with our other errors in other areas, nothing gets fixed.

Great post. +1. Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, pick your favorite Pro Bowl QB...it doesn't really matter because even the best QB can't block for himself, can't catch balls from himself.

I havent read through a whole lot of this thread but I think the consensus is that something needs to happen, Taylor needs to grow or we really need to find ways to consistently move the ball. Someone posted a highlight video in another thread and one of the main things I noticed without even trying to nitpick was how bad some of Martinez completions were. Obviously they were completions, but on alot of the deep balls we completed this year if taylor manages to put the ball out in front we score easy, rather than forcing the receiver into a tough catch and then being tackled by the defender. They were easy touchdowns, It would be interesting to evaluate those drives and see which ones ended in field goals rather than touchdowns.

I know this may seem like nitpicking but this is the big leagues, and the difference between 3 pts and 7 pts can be huge in college football. Our receivers are very talented, and it sucks that we cant exploit that to full advantage.

Question? Why do people think Bronson Marsh should see playing time ahead of Brion Carnes.

I don't know a lot about Marsh, but he was a pretty good high school quarterback from what I hear.

He was good in high school, but I think that is about as far as that should go. I havent heard of what he has been doing in practices, so I cant speak too much, but he does not have the body to be a QB. I think he would make a hell of a strong safety.

It's a good thing T.O. didn't pull Mike Grant out of the Washington game and give anyone else a chance. Oh wait. He did.

Pelini has given quarterbacks a shot in the past (2009 with Green/Lee). Really it comes down to knowing what you have and believing it can win for you.

Here's food for thought, though. By the second game of next season, Taylor Martinez will have started as many games as Jamal Lord. By the end of the 2012 season, he will have started more games than Eric Crouch or be damn near close to it. Martinez is essentially a veteran now, and next year has no reason to not play like one. Similarly, we'll have a lot of guys coming back that started for almost a full season.

In hindsight, I think Pelini made a huge mistake not letting go of Watson. In hindsight, I think it's fair to suggest he probably should have just cleared out, brought in his own staff and started from the ground up. That first year might have been worse, but the staff we have now could have been a staff that had worked together for almost four years. We set ourselves back with the revamping of offensive coaches. This coaching staff is young and is being led by a first time head coach.

My original post was not about criticizing Martinez for 1 game. I made it a point to clarify that this loss was a team effort.

Critical 4th and 2 situation. Burkhead is out. Do you want the ball in Martinez hands running or throwing? How confident are you? I do not like the "he's our only option" spot we are in. Saying he is not losing games for us is fine, but is he winning games?

Martinez won us nine games this year.

Didn't really answer the question. Big difference between "winning" and "not losing".

You don't have to like the answer, but Martinez was crucial in every one of our nine wins. He didn't cost us any of our four losses. You want to gripe about a player who's losing us games, it isn't Martinez. You want to find players who are winning us games, his name is on that list.

So what you're saying is the guy who touches the ball on EVERY play isn't somewhat responsible for the losses? Give it a rest. You can't have it both ways. I thought Martinez played a pretty good game vs SC. You can't lean to which ever side of the fence validates your point.

You want to gripe about a player who's losing us games, it isn't Martinez. You want to find players who are winning us games, his name is on that list.

So what you're saying is the guy who touches the ball on EVERY play isn't somewhat responsible for the losses? Give it a rest. You can't have it both ways. I thought Martinez played a pretty good game vs SC. You can't lean to which ever side of the fence validates your point.

What?

Everyone on here has lowered thier standard for what we think was a good or decent game for Taylor. He was pretty accurate and didn't have a lot of time in the pocket and only the 1 int. Apparently that's what we hope for from him... I'm sorry but when the chips are down you have to have that feeling your QB is gonna bring you back by making great plays even when other things break down. It's what great players and great leaders do.... See: lavonte in the Ohio state game / 4th quarter play needs to be made or Iowa. That's what I don't see or feel Taylor can do for us! Maybe I'm wrong but I just don have a sense he has that Scott frost vs. Mizzou type of late game(albeit a little lucky) take us down the field and keep championship hopes alive.