I think fans expect unrealistic results

Just curious..

If any of you knew ahead of time that we would never play for another MNC, would you still be a fan?

I'll always be a fan at heart, but I'll admit my interest level would dip down if I knew for a fact that the Huskers would never play for another MNC, because then I'd always know that we had nothing great to look forward too. I'd rather not know - and hope - than know with nothing to hope for.

Being an old geezer, nearing the dirt nap, I really have no expectations of seeing a Nebraska MNC. But I never expected any that we have won. Too much luck goes into winning the MNC and only one team wins a year(normally).

I would continue to watch no matter what the projected outcome would be. I am more concerned about how we are represented than the wins and losses. I want a team of good kids, learning to be good men. A program that I can be proud of for doing things the right way. A coach that stands for the right things, graduates his kids and keeps them out of trouble.

I think most of us here will love the Huskers till the day we die, and in reality that is all that is important. We have no control over the team in any way. We can not correct the problems, make the coaching changes. We are fans of one of the best college football teams of all time, for me that is a lot to be proud of. Sure I want the wins, hate the losses, but understand that things have changed in college football. We as a fan base have to learn to live with where we are at, and support the team until they reach the level all of us want.

I will never blame the kids for poor play, bad attitudes or losses. Those things fall directly on the coaching staff. The only way those things are corrected is by the staff. If we fail to win because of these things, the root is caused by the staff, not the kids, because if they are the root problem they should be setting the bench or their bags packed.

We have a lot of problems, but all are fixable if the staff corrects those problems and stop coddling certain players, make the correction and when those corrections are made the player is back on an even basis. You can not hold kids out after the discipline has been accomplished.

We have a good team, only the coaching staff can make it what we all want. The ball is in their court.

Not one sane person would have picked nu to win a national title. Most preseason picked us to go 8-?/9-?....so what's the fuss about? We have a young team and young staff and can't recruit sec top atheletes at every position every year. It took the great Tom osborne 20 years to get it just right to win. People need to settle down. Did I expect to win them all?....yep...will we win them all?...nope. Be patient and let coaches be coaches. It's obvious certain things need addressing but its not as doom and gloom as it seems. Firing all your coaches for going 9-4 is exactly what set nu back a decade. We don't have the ability to recruit and bounce right back from a program overhaul in a year or two. It is a 5-10 year upward battle to build a program back up. People forget nebraska is not a tourist destination. Kids don't come here easily. Can't wait for next year! GBR

If "settling down" is settling for mediocrity, forget about it.

The losses seem pretty bad by simply looking at the score, but you have to watch the game to understand how the scores got there. A handful of simple mistakes in each of those games allowed them to get lopsided. Some act like we just steamrolled like Miami and Colorado did to us in '01. Wrong. Hell, we completely skipped to possessions against Michigan. Wisconsin was turnover bowl and we all still remember monday. Nothing I saw Monday told me that we have any sever talent deficiencies. For most of the 1st half we were doing whatever we wanted to do against a supposed super bowl d-line. Another thing, If I read one more person complaining about Papuchis as Dcoord being a mistake and that we shoulda got stoops or zook or whoever the ___ i'm gonna puke. Bo is the DC, always has been, always will be. That's why he promoted a pawn to fill the "role" Thats just common frickin sense. why should we spend the money on a big time coordinator when Bo has his foot on the position anyway. Watch'em on the sidelines during games when defense is on the field. Pretty obvious Bo mostly involved with the calls if not completely making them himself. Heck, he's the one with a play card.

The losses seem pretty bad by simply looking at the score, but you have to watch the game to understand how the scores got there. A handful of simple mistakes in each of those games allowed them to get lopsided. Some act like we just steamrolled like Miami and Colorado did to us in '01. Wrong. Hell, we completely skipped to possessions against Michigan. Wisconsin was turnover bowl and we all still remember monday. Nothing I saw Monday told me that we have any sever talent deficiencies. For most of the 1st half we were doing whatever we wanted to do against a supposed super bowl d-line. Another thing, If I read one more person complaining about Papuchis as Dcoord being a mistake and that we shoulda got stoops or zook or whoever the ___ i'm gonna puke. Bo is the DC, always has been, always will be. That's why he promoted a pawn to fill the "role" Thats just common frickin sense. why should we spend the money on a big time coordinator when Bo has his foot on the position anyway. Watch'em on the sidelines during games when defense is on the field. Pretty obvious Bo mostly involved with the calls if not completely making them himself. Heck, he's the one with a play card.

I agree, that said thing is this isnt the 1st year were every loss we can blame penalties and turnovers on and poor execution on, that is every game we lose basically. At some point in 4 years that has to change, that is coaching, he is paid to fix that. Lets look back, Oklahoma last year, Texas AM, Texas at 5-7, Washington in the bowl, Iowa St 2009, VT twice. Good coaches dont lose 4 games a year all on mental errors, his team does. I agree the talent is there, or not far off, the development isnt. Bottom line is we werent that good of a team, plane and simple. Listen if Bo wants to just run the defense I am fine with that, matter of fact there is a position of Defensive Co which he can flat out have. But i want this program in the postion to compete for titles and we are not there, and at time we look very far from it. I like papuchis as well, i just think it would have been nice to have a guy with more experience not saying stoops or zook i wanted neither of those. I want Bo to be the head coach and run the team from that perspective, sometimes he has, other times not so much. I will say it again we finished 4th in conference and 3rd in our division, in a conference that went 4-6 in the bowls, which is actually a good year for the "neat" BIG 10.

It is a 5-10 year upward battle to build a program back up. People forget nebraska is not a tourist destination. Kids don't come here easily. Can't wait for next year! GBR

Mich just went 11-2 and won the Sugar Bowl, in year one of Hoke.

Think The OSU is going to take 5-10 yrs to rebuild under Meyer?

And if NU isn't a tourist destination now, why and how did Devaney or Osborne ever get players here 20, 30, 40 years ago?

If fans expectations aren't "unrealistic" then NU is just IA, 5 hours further west.

great post, we could have saved even more money and hired Bo (for less) as a DC and got some newbie for a HC.......that's exactly where we are, right now!

Write it down, unlress Pelini changes, this will be his last and only job as a HC........

Wow, well that is glass half full.

I will agree, NU under Bo has proven time and again that it is a MNC contender in terms of beating itself with self-inflicted wounds.

T.O. coached teams very rarely beat themselves. This is what is so frustrating for me. He didn't always have top notch talent but they were very disciplined. Husker fans are upset at the way the team plays. Sloppy.

This.

I'd rather be beaten by 50, than lose by 3 after beating ourselves. If we are not the best team on the field, so be it, we can get better, but if we are as good or better and lose...that disgusts me.

Excellent post.

There is indeed a HUGE difference in losing big via mistakes and turnovers and getting steamrolled up & down the field all day (or until garbage time) Clownahan style. Obviously they're both bad news but one is potentially fixable and the other isn't.

There is indeed a HUGE difference in losing big via mistakes and turnovers and getting steamrolled up & down the field all day (or until garbage time) Clownahan style. Obviously they're both bad news but one is potentially fixable and the other isn't.

Any ideas on how to fix-it?

Any ideas on how to fix-it?

Nope. Well, having an identity on offense would help a lot but it doesn't look like that's in the works at all. "Balance" has taken over Husker Nation (do everything but excel at nothing). Heck, I don't know.

Maybe you have an idea?