My opinions on Husker football

mwj98

Sitting here watching the Vtech, Michigan game. One thing is pretty obvious, our defense is slow. Our defensive ends (Meredith especially) lost contain all year and we got exploited. It's very frustrating. Compton is good, but slow. David is the type of Linebacker we need to recruit and we have got to get better push up front, otherwise we are going to get worked next year.

Also, offensively...I know burkhead is superman and all...but when he gets tired or is being stopped....our offense goes in the tank. We can't rely that much on one player. And last but not least,....martinez. good athlete, but maybe the qb position isn't a good fit. I have got to believe someone on our roster can open up our playbook a little more. We finally have decent receivers, but we can't get em the ball.

Just frustrating.....I will go down fighting with the Big Red, it's my school and it hurts. But damn we just need one or two more players. But speed kills. Ask Wisconsin. Horn frogs severely undersized got em last year. Oregon, isn't known for size, but killed them with speed.

We need some of that...please lord!

GBR!!!

I think (hope) we have help coming on the interior D Line. Todd Peat and a few of this years redshirts need to step in next year and fill the holes. I'm not as confident we have D end talent we all want. I'm hopeful the redshirt and juco linebackers can do the job. Also our returning D backs and the Seisay kid should do a decent job at corner and safety. Depth will be a factor and injuries could limit our success.

On O I think the crop of receivers are adequate.....sometimes pretty good. We need a good possession receiver and a burner with great hands. As much as I appreciate Taylor M, he has serious limitations. While I'll agree he has improved, I don't see him hitting streaking receivers in stride. More often the receiver has to stop his route and hook back in a straight line to TM. On any deep route the defender has as much of a chance to catch it as our receiver. The ball is lobbed as high as he can throw it and with luck the receiver has been able to get behind the d back. He isn't the least bit elusive and usually runs into the tacklers arms rather than make an attempt to avoid a tackle. On a straight line he is speedy but defenses seem to have that weapon figured out. Cotton caught some good balls yesterday. I hope our young O linemen are ready to put on their big boy pants and play Big 10 football next year.

There are lots of questions and few sure answers. Lots of possibility but we've said that for years.

I understand the scheme and all and how our d-line is supposed to play, and that we want the liittle larger type of DT's and Ends, but I agree, that's the first thing I notice on the 1st couple plays Monday is wow, our Dline just looks really slow coming of the ball on the rush. I was used to it after the season becase NU is pretty much all I actually watch and pay attention to, but after watchiing numerous bowl games and other teams, we just look slow coming off the ball. Another thing is getting the quarter back down when get to him. How many times do Steinkuhler, Meredith etc. go hellin to the qb and he takes on litte side step and they run right by him. I wish they had better control to break down the get him to the ground.

No mention of the offensive line?

Does the offensive line exist in Husker Fans minds?

I dont think the Oline is a big concern. The played pretty respectable for the most part. There were injuries here and there as well as so many guys that were so young. Offensive line is that one postition on the field where it's most difficult to come in as a true fresh and take over. When Callahan was fired we lost some very very good oline recruits, i dont know the names for sure, I could look them up but i dont have the time and probably woudnt be able to figure out how, but I think 3 wound up being all americans or all conference at the places they wound up. Our oline depth took a huge hit at that point and 09 and last year aeven this year we've started to feel those effects. College football's kind of like the economy. Decisions we make today may not have an effect for 2-3-5 years.

Also, offensively...I know burkhead is superman and all...but when he gets tired or is being stopped....our offense goes in the tank.

Continual offensive line improvement and more experience for the Fab 3 heading into next season could drastically change the situation you're talking about, though. But I do agree with you.

And last but not least,....martinez. good athlete, but maybe the qb position isn't a good fit. I have got to believe someone on our roster can open up our playbook a little more. We finally have decent receivers, but we can't get em the ball.

I really encourage you to rethink this. If you look at his completion percentages in the second half of the season, he did get people the ball. Or he at least got the ball to them. The drops that our WR's had throughout the entire season were just...terrible. Coming at key times in games, too. Not dropping spot-on balls would also significantly change our offensive momentum.

He's carrying two years of starting experience into just his junior year. He's been scapegoated like crazy this season...wait till we see what kind of continued improvement he brings to the table next year. If he stagnates, then obviously it'll hurt us. But if he doesn't, and we can learn to stop turning the ball over, things could be quite a bit different.