What Were You People Wanting?

I know I only comment on bits and pieces of certain threads but this time I'm going to tell you want I think is happening.... Last year Texas Tech 70, Neb 10. This year we all know we should have won. Last year OU 30, Neb 3. This year 31-24, could have won also. Last year lost at Iowa State, this year win. Is that not enough progress? Now, I know you will say that the Missouri game was different, but that is one out of three games that stands alone as a step back. Am I seeing things differently than most people on this board? Billy C has four years to win the Big 12. (not the North, the Big 12) And do not ask for my resources.... Living here in Kansas City I know what everyone is feeling times 10. Do I agree with everything that is happening with the coaching staff? No. And I did not agree with a lot of Tom Osborne's and Charlie McBride's decisions either. But look what turned out in the end. Lets win one, if not three more games, go to a bowl, have some fun and wait one or two more years. :cheers

I know I only comment on bits and pieces of certain threads but this time I'm going to tell you want I think is happening.... Last year Texas Tech 70, Neb 10. This year we all know we should have won. Last year OU 30, Neb 3. This year 31-24, could have won also. Last year lost at Iowa State, this year win. Is that not enough progress? Now, I know you will say that the Missouri game was different, but that is one out of three games that stands alone as a step back. Am I seeing things differently than most people on this board? Billy C has four years to win the Big 12. (not the North, the Big 12) And do not ask for my resources.... Living here in Kansas City I know what everyone is feeling times 10. Do I agree with everything that is happening with the coaching staff? No. And I did not agree with a lot of Tom Osborne's and Charlie McBride's decisions either. But look what turned out in the end. Lets win one, if not three more games, go to a bowl, have some fun and wait one or two more years. :cheers

:yeah

We lost a couple, but unlike last year, there is hope. We will keep getting better. GO BIG RED!!!!! :horns2

:cheers

Good points KC

I agree that there is progress in relationship to the competition.... We have played a number of teams better than last season.

What my concern is.... I am not seeing the progress within our own team...

The OL has "regressed"...... and the play calling is still under question.

With that said, I like your optimism KC, and I'm with you man !!!!

I still think we can win at least 2 of the next 3 and go bowlin' :clap

Ok, so we only lost to Oklahoma by a touchdown,big deal. We still lost. And they are definitely not as good as last year anyway. And we lost Texas Tech again,only by 3 points but a loss is a loss. Progress would be beating them. Using that logic, next year if we lose to Mizzou by only 10. is that progress? And the next year after that only by 9,is that progress? I say your definition of progress is different from mine. I say progress is not almost beating a team that you should beat every year, but beating the team you should beat every year.

:yeah:yeah:thumbs:thumbs

so we gained against okie and ttech, but okie is not the same team as last year and ttech had potential to be like last years game but we weathered because of a late hit by them. Those games were home instead of away which matters just a tad. If we don't win 2 out of last 3 it was a horrible year imo. And even with 2 more wins it was just average. As weak as our schedule was.

I guess if your definition of progress is barely beating a IAA team and one of the worst teams in Div I (Pitt), getting beat by less, or having one game in which the O gains 400 yards but only 13 points, or for being orgasmic about having 2 good scoring drives in a game, its fine.

But I define progress differently.

With the games you mention, OU is definitely not the team they were a year ago. Bob Stoops himself would even tell you that. If you want to compare progress, we need to play Texas. They're playing like OU was last year. Do you really think Texas would beat us only 30 to 3? TT never would have beaten us nearly as bad as last year if we hadn't had like 100 turnovers. We stuck a young inexperienced QB in who threw for 3 int.'s. Instead of running the ball when the game was well out of hand, we made it worse by continuing to throw and turn the ball over. We got our asses handed to us by Mizzou this year. I might have thought Mizzou was better than last year until they got handled by Big 12 bottom feeder Kansas.

We handled our Division 2 opponent last year. This year we did not. We beat a BCS bowl team last year. This year, we will not. I don't think the teams we beat this year or the teams we lost last year really matter in terms of progress because those teams aren't the same as last year. In my opinion, you have to look at where we are ranked in order to see whether we've improved. I don't know where our offense was ranked last year, but I can't think it was much worse than 96th in the country. Our defense is better. Our special teams are better. We've gotten worse in one category and better in two. I guess this could be construed as improvement.

I think this staff is doing a tremendous job with what they have. No real National level talent.

For years we have heard the recruiting gurus tell us that we do not have the talent to compete with top 15 schools. Not big enough, strong enough quick enough or athletic enough. This started about 7 years ago. Prior we were given credit for better recruiting because TO knew how to use what he had.

The prior staff left us with no QB or Oline. And I mean no QB or Oline to run either offense against quality teams. See Texas, Colorado, Missouri and Kansas State.

We must learn to admit just how far down the ladder we were and still are. 1 good recruting class does not make up for 7 years.

Last year on another board I posted that Texas Tech felt they had more talent than Nebraska, most told me that was the craziest thing they had ever heard. We saw the results. But we see ourselves getting closer.

There are no teams we are suppose to beat. Those days are gone with the demise of the little 6 and big 2. When the big 12 came about the money channel opened for a lot of programs. My guess there is more money for at least 4 programs in the south than Nebraska has.

Understand where we were and how far we have come in a very short period.

I have said since day one we are at least 3 years from being competitive with the top 10. I still feel we are at least 2 years out on the recruiting side. The first year did not count.

Most top programs do not depend on Freshman and Jucos to correct a major talent problem. That is what we are doing. It is stop gap for a average season. Not being able to compete with teams with more talent. We have faced several this year. Pitt, Wake Forest, Missouri, Iowa State and Oklahoma. We face Kansas who is about equal and KState the same. Colorado will be another story.

The right steps are being taken. We have a firey Irishman at the helm and he is making some mistakes but he is making some good moves also. This was a long long long process and most refuse to understand that. Give it time. We fire this staff and Nebraska as the team we once knew will never ever reappear. We have a chance with that now, but never to the tune of 3 in 4. Those days are over forever. Enjoy it and forget it. Pairity is here. Deal with it.

I know I only comment on bits and pieces of certain threads but this time I'm going to tell you want I think is happening.... Last year Texas Tech 70, Neb 10.  This year we all know we should have won.  Last year OU 30, Neb 3.  This year 31-24, could have won also.  Last year lost at Iowa State, this year win.  Is that not enough progress?  Now, I know you will say that the Missouri game was different, but that is one out of three games that stands alone as a step back.  Am I seeing things differently than most people on this board?  Billy C has four years to win the Big 12.  (not the North, the Big 12)  And do not ask for my resources....  Living here in Kansas City I know what everyone is feeling times 10.  Do I agree with everything that is happening with the coaching staff?  No.  And I did not agree with a lot of Tom Osborne's and Charlie McBride's decisions either.  But look what turned out in the end.  Lets win one, if not three more games, go to a bowl, have some fun and wait one or two more years. :cheers

so we gained against okie and ttech, but okie is not the same team as last year and ttech had potential to be like last years game but we weathered because of a late hit by them. Those games were home instead of away which matters just a tad. If we don't win 2 out of last 3 it was a horrible year imo. And even with 2 more wins it was just average. As weak as our schedule was.

Apples and oranges. Your right Ou and tech are different.Every team evolves for the good or bad from year to year. But the fact remains that we are in more games than last year.