I wish Callahan was still our HC

Ganz also threw a lot of INT's. Most of his yards he got against KU came against a prevent defense. In BC's tenure, we had to bring bandaid QB's because BC couldn't develop one.

That's not true, he developed two. Ganz and Taylor were both products of his system.

Beck bolting was all about Harrison Beck. Gabbert decommitted when Callahan's job security became 0. Freeman ... was classless in his decommittment.

I don't know if I would say Suh would have been a 4th round pick. He probably was going to be a beast regardless! Maybe not top 2, but still a first rounder or second rounder, would be likely. I mean, Adam Carriker's only years of significance came under Callahan's tenure (three years: 04-06). Is that to say Carriker blossomed under his coaching staff? Or he was just that good and a physical specimen who was going to have a high chance at success no matter what.

Bill Callahan definitely is not our answer. I believe Bo is the right coach, and for the most part the rest of the team is in order; however, he needs to recruit a QB that can be mobile, but also throw. PeeWee Football QBs have better form in the pocket and throwing than TMART. Even a few years ago our defense was the best in the Nation, but our offense could never move the ball. We have seen in Big Games over the last 2-3 years that we cannot consistently move the ball against top 25 teams.

I for one, would really like the Huskers to rehire Callahan

We'll hire him, and you guys hire Cosgrove. Deal?

Deal..He wasn't awful at UW...in fact he was a Badger operative the whole time, sent to decimate your defense...muahhaha

I wasn't impressed with BC's offense at all, but his offense would easily hand "half a hundred" on Cosgroves "defense" especially with all those slow white guys Wiscy loves to have on defense.

Speaking of which. What's up with the talent at Wiscy? Toon is an ok possession WR. They start a walk-on at WR. And their defense is S L O W. Oregon's RB's were a good measure faster than Wiscy's DB's. I'm not hatin on Wiscy, I love they way they play, but are they gonna change, or are they stuck in their ways. Their offense was very good with Ball and Wilson, just think if they had an elite WR go go with that.

Ganz also threw a lot of INT's. Most of his yards he got against KU came against a prevent defense. In BC's tenure, we had to bring bandaid QB's because BC couldn't develop one.

That's not true, he developed two. Ganz and Taylor were both products of his system.

Beck bolting was all about Harrison Beck. Gabbert decommitted when Callahan's job security became 0. Freeman ... was classless in his decommittment.

I don't know if I would say Suh would have been a 4th round pick. He probably was going to be a beast regardless! Maybe not top 2, but still a first rounder or second rounder, would be likely. I mean, Adam Carriker's only years of significance came under Callahan's tenure (three years: 04-06). Is that to say Carriker blossomed under his coaching staff? Or he was just that good and a physical specimen who was going to have a high chance at success no matter what.

Taylor was not a product of the system. He was a bandaid we brought in from JuCo until Beck was supposedly ready to take over. Ganz was a product of the system that BC had little to no faith. This is why he brought in another bandaid QB Sam Keller.

Marlon Lucky? Are you serious? He was not very effective and not used well. Hell, BC kept Brandon Jackson off the filed so we could watch Lucky get repeatedly tackled by stiff breezes. Did that guy EVER break a tackle? He was good in space I guess, but we rarely got him there.

If my aunt Sally had nuts, she'd be my uncle Sal.

One phrase sums up the total failure that was the BC era..."half-pack" We couldn't tackle on defense, yet we were not smart enough to go full pads so our players could LEARN to tackle? This is not the NFL. CFB players need to be taught the basics. And don't blame that on Cos. The head coach decided to "half-pack".

You kind of made my point. Lucky wasn't a dominant back or a workhorse. He was a 3rd down back who had great hands and open field vision with quickness. He didn't have good balance or something because yeah, he seemed to go down pretty easy.

My point was BC knew what he had in Lucky, and put him into situations where he would succeed. (passing game) You can't argue Lucky didn't have success under BC.

I'm going to ignore the B-Jax statement because it's essentially the same as Keller vs. Ganz.

B-Jax came on strong late and went on to play in the NFL, so clearly BC is an idiot for not playing him earlier and more...

Meh...

Taylor was not a product of the system. He was a bandaid we brought in from JuCo until Beck was supposedly ready to take over. Ganz was a product of the system that BC had little to no faith. This is why he brought in another bandaid QB Sam Keller.

Product of the system or bandaid or whatever. Taylor still won Big XII player of the year his senior year.

• Fire 1

Funny, I just got a PM from the Secretary of Interior in the Congo, turns out I am an African prince!!!! Kinda strange since my ancestors are German Austrian, but you can't argue with the facts of the internet. I'm gonna be rich!!

Anybody got any experience wiring money? PM me.

I once got a PM on another message board telling me that Bo was taking the Miami job, that it was a done deal. I'm not seeing how private messages from a forum, HuskerBoard or otherwise, amount to any kind of "proof" of anything.

Pathetic replies simply because you don't WANT to believe what was said. Either you are saying he lied to me in the PM or I made the PM up. The manner in which the PM was written and what I knew of the poster makes me believe it. and if you think I would have made up 2 PMs like that...that elaborate then all I can do is smile about that. I guess I could take a screen shot of my saved PMs if you do think I made it up.

Lots of things were happening off the field as well. At the college level you need to be a mentor as well as a coach, that was not happening. Trainging wise, IIRC we were taking Mondays off (an NFL thing, where they work with personal trainers), this was given as reasons why we were falling aprt half way through games, no conditioning The virtual lock down in the AD offices (a Peddy issue, but still at the time). Not starting or maintaing realshships with past players... A hands off attitude towards current players. In the end a college coach is there not only on the field, but off to help guide kids into audlthood. I know most of that is dead as Disco, but it still hangs on in most programs, somewhat, and I think that was one of the big things Cally never understood, and why his kids didnt have the "Win one for the Gipper" mind set....

the PMs talked about conditioning. Relationships w/ past players was bad? According to who...and what's the context? Were these players that had a chip on their shoulder about how FS was fired and/or about an outsider coming in as HC and changing the entire offensive philosophy? Were they a negative influence around the AD/team? Were they upset because all/most of the familiar faces were gone? As I stated before I heard 2 former players that midway through 2007 predicted we wouldn't win another game...and Matt Davidson said that he knew former players that WANTED us to lose all out games. That there shows me there were former players that were childish, selfish and full of themselves. I also know there were some former players that had no problem w/ BC and were invited to be around and did come around and were on the sidelines. I strongly suspect players were welcome as long as they weren't going to be a negative energy/cancer to the program.

I'm not sure how BC was w/ HIS players...but I do know I met and talked to the Congdon family and their son(forgot his name) on my flight back to AZ from the 05 Alamo Bowl and they LOVED BC..and said the players did too. The mom specifically said Carriker's great play that year was because of BC. Now I take that w/ a grain of salt, but the point is they loved him and said the rest of the team did too. If she's not qualified to answer that question/concern than who is?

This is the quintessential example on why BC failed. His ability to use talent effectively was non-existent.

I dunno. Marlon Lucky was an exceptional talent and used effectively. I'm not sure Lucky ever had the raw desire it takes to explode through holes on the line, but BC knew what he had with Lucky, and the Keller>>Lucky short passing game was incredibly successful.

I suppose some look at using a check-down receiver like Lucky and an indication of a poor QB - and some have said as much on HB - but I thought BC was very good at getting skilled players into space and letting them make plays against poor match-ups.

His stubborness in year one ended NU's bowl run. His blind loyalty to Keller, despite the clear signs that Ganz was not only 1A, but also a guy the team wanted to battle for, cost BC dearly.

You can try to say it was about offensive scheme, but even if that was true, it was clear in August camp that Ganz and Keller were neck & neck running that offense.

BC went with Keller's "on paper measurements" and it cost him.

It is a forgivable offense by itself, but for BC it was only the second to last example of poor personnel judgement (Not canning Cosgrove mid-way into the season was the other).

I think it's easy to say some of those things about the Keller vs. Ganz QB battle now...but back in the day during fall camp BC had to make a decision which QB was going to get the majority of the snaps and be the starter. He had two good choices, and went with the guy with more in-game experience, seniority, and physical measurables. Surely Keller being a transfer might have weighed a little into the equation, but many fans simply look at the results and think it was obvious Joe was better because by the time he played, he lit up the field.

In reality, Joe Ganz was a nobody back then. Yeah, there were reports of a Keller vs. Ganz battle in fall camp, but most folks just chalked that up to good preseason football drama and it was mostly assumed Keller was going to start.

---

I just don't like to see people pile on a former Husker coach or player, whoever it is.

If Callahan hired Bo as his DC and said 'do whatever you need to do on defense, I'll get out of your way.' the results would have likely been different. Watson and Bo were more 'player' coaches and Callahan was the organized CEO guy who knew the X's and O's on offense. Callahan calling offense plays and Bo calling the defense and Watson developing our QB's would have been very interesting combo for sure.

239+ days until the next Husker football game. Let's make sure we cover all the topics we can!

Good reply. and it's common for good coaches to not choose the best QB. Sims over Applewhite. Leinhart over Cassel..etc.