Sports Journalism hits a new low.

If the article is focusing on the opinions of boosters, what merit will it have? Might as well interview me 2 minutes after the South Carolina game. I'm sure there would have been a few inflammatory remarks passed on the state of the program. If the article relies on these interviews heavily, which it should if it's trying to make some kind of point concerning the perception of Pelini within the Husker fan base, then the questions should be fairly open ended, with coresspondingly comprehensive answers. The point being, it's not cross examination. The questions aren't 'loaded' just because you may surprise yourself with the answer you find yourself offering up.

Agreed, especially about "the state of the program" immediately after the game. Everyone was upset. Nobody was thinking sunshine and daisies about Nebraska Football a few days ago. 90% of us still aren't. Boosters wouldn't - and shouldn't - be immune to that.

Personally, I don't give a flying f@&$ what a booster says to a journalist. But if the piece comes out with a premise of less -than-glowing reviews of recent husker football, I'm not going to dismiss it out of hand. Rather, I will examine the supporting pieces of testimony and evidence that SHOULD be present in the article. If its lacking, I'll say so. If there's a point to be made, I'll concede it.

Exactly. If there are legit criticisms leveled, how would they be any different than 100-200 posts here on HuskerBoard? There are clear problems with the team, from coaches to fifth-string long snapper. Those problems bear looking into, and that's what we do best here.

What I'm not going to do is freak out days before the piece is released and send out an all hands, Paul Reveresque warning to the message board. 'The smear piece is coming! The smear piece is coming!'

I get what you're saying here. This may be slightly hyperbolic, but I don't get the impression this is exactly what da skers is doing. I would have reacted poorly had I gotten that phone call, too.

I have confidence that most of you, when being honest with yourselves, will make a clear judgment about whether an article has merit or not. Until then, remember that our 'poor' coach has a lot of support here and Lincoln, Nebraska isn't exactly a media epicenter where droves of hacks are putting him under the microscope every minute.

True, true, true. Good post, sir. :thumbs

OWH does seem to have it out for Bo, which is disappointing because I usually like to read their stuff.... One of the few that I don't care for as a writer is Lee Barfknect; here is a nice shot that he took at Bo and/or Raymond in his blog....

http://sports.omaha....assy-in-defeat/

No mention of Bo or Raymond in that blog that I saw. I see nothing wrong in pointing out how well a former NU coach handled getting his ass handed too him.

OWH does seem to have it out for Bo, which is disappointing because I usually like to read their stuff.... One of the few that I don't care for as a writer is Lee Barfknect; here is a nice shot that he took at Bo and/or Raymond in his blog....

No mention of Bo or Raymond in that blog that I saw. I see nothing wrong in pointing out how well a former NU coach handled getting his ass handed too him.

You missed the snide, passive-aggressive dig at Bo/Raymond in this sentence:

Read these words very carefully, Nebraska fans, and see how they differ from someone else’s recent comments:

I don't mind it when the OWH is simply critical, but they don't have to be douches about it.

I don't mind it when the OWH is simply critical, but they don't have to be douches about it.

After reading the Weird Harold for about 30-ish years, I would beg to differ with that statement.

But, since I'm getting a rep for having a negative attitude toward sports journalists and the OWH in general, I'll throw out that I really like Jon Nyatawa and Sam McKewon, and wish they were the only guys covering the Huskers at the OWH. Not because they're always full of sunshine and daisies - they aren't - but because they both seem to get how to write about what's good with the program without being homers and what's bad with the program without being asses. Something I think the rest of the sports staff could take lessons on.

These reporters are just products of today's new media and prompts for "immediacy". These stories are fast, cheap (literally and figuratively), and easy. If the papers spent some time finding new revenue streams and disregarded some of it's immediacy for quality work, then we wouldn't have to deal with this crap anymore.

F that. Raymond needs to be gone. Not enough TALENT?!? Even if that were true (which I really don't believe) who's freaking fault is that? Is it the kid's fault that you brought them in here and they weren't good enough for you?

Reading that last Tuesday made me sick. I've been a big Bo supporter, but it seems like his staff is taking his crybaby attitude to the next level. I couldn't imagine saying something like that in front others. Those are the sort of discussions you have in private. If one of my direct reports at work went into a company wide meeting and told everyone that we failed to do our jobs due to not having enough talented people (in front of those people) that would be the mother of all ass-chewings...

F that. Raymond needs to be gone. Not enough TALENT?!? Even if that were true (which I really don't believe) who's freaking fault is that? Is it the kid's fault that you brought them in here and they weren't good enough for you?

Reading that last Tuesday made me sick. I've been a big Bo supporter, but it seems like his staff is taking his crybaby attitude to the next level. I couldn't imagine saying something like that in front others. Those are the sort of discussions you have in private. If one of my direct reports at work went into a company wide meeting and told everyone that we failed to do our jobs due to not having enough talented people (in front of those people) that would be the mother of all ass-chewings...

Corey Raymond had nothing to do with the aquisition of any of the players he was coaching this year. I don't give him a pass for what he said about them, but they literally are NOT his recruits nontheless.

Amazing...... The media is the bad guy here.

While Bo continues to embarrass NU fans with the garbage product he puts out there.

They are trying to create a perception of reality. I know of 5 people that commented under Shitel's story in support of Bo. Anything that was overly positive was not posted as of lunch time today. One guy even send in a second comment that was pretty vague but answering someone else and it made it up. This was after he had written in support. I also know of 2 boosters that sent Shitel emails over the weekend talking about the positives of Bo and his team. This was when it spread a negitive story was coming out. So. . if he says he hadn't heard anything in his column, he wasn't giving all the facts straight. I would hope that other Bo supporters would email Tom or post on that story. Even if its a quick I don't agree with your stance and why.

You missed the snide, passive-aggressive dig at Bo/Raymond in this sentence:

Read these words very carefully, Nebraska fans, and see how they differ from someone else’s recent comments:

That is the point those of us with reason, is trying to make. I have no problem with the media being critical of the program, or Bo's actions. However, that comment by Lee in his blog post was childish, and embarassing for him. The OWH seems to have an agenda when it comes to Bo, and were willing to dig up a story about a Clemson position coach (former Husker coach), who had an unrelated quote, just so they could have another reason to take a lash at Bo.... If you ask me, they are butt-hurt with the way Pelini treats them.... Get over it, or become a food critic....