Is Urban Meyer good or Lucky?

T_O_Bull

He's good. We'll find out. He's not unbeatable, but he's definitely good.

But that's OK. It's good for the conference. It's good for Nebraska to play against tough coaches, tough teams. Champions are rarely forged in fires of weak conferences. Just ask Boise.

I think Boise could also being a product of getting shut out by the tougher conferences. The Pac-12 didn't want them. I would bet they would've accepted a Big 12 invite. Utah did pretty good for their first year in the Pac-12.

Both.

Which is why it will be all the more sweet when we kick tOSU to the curb next year.

It would be more unlikely next year we beat them like it was unlikely we came back to win. If Braxton never left the game we wouldn't have won. It's easier to beat a team with a qb who got replaced and not planned for.

Warren Ball 4 stars 5.8 9/1/10

De'van Bogard DB 4 stars 5.8 6/25/11

Jacoby Boren OL 3 stars 5.7 12/3/10

Bri'onte Dunn RB 4 stars 5.8 4/26/11

Pat Elflein OL 3 stars 5.5 7/14/11

Frank Epitropoulos WR 3 stars 5.7 4/26/11

Cardale Jones QB 3 stars 5.7 9/7/11

Roger Lewis WR 3 stars 5.7 8/9/11

Najee Murray DB 3 stars 5.7 6/12/11

Josh Perry LB 4 stars 5.8 6/29/10

Se'von Pittman DE 4 stars 5.9 12/12/11

Tyvis Powell DB 3 stars 5.7 6/1/11

Luke Roberts LB 3 stars 5.5 7/13/11

Tommy Schutt DT 4 stars 5.9 12/12/11

Ricquan Southward WR 3 stars 5.7 11/27/11

Noah Spence DE 5 stars 6.1 12/18/11

Blake Thomas TE 3 stars 5.7 5/16/11

Michael Thomas WR 4 stars 5.8 10/30/11

Adolphus Washington DE 4 stars 6.0 11/22/11

LINK

This is where Meyers' "luck" comes from. Four 4* recruits, one 5* and one 3*. These guys all committed to tOSU since late Oct/early Nov when Urban took the helm.

Edit: Jacoby Boren was a 2010 commit, not 2011.

Which is why it will be all the more sweet when we kick tOSU to the curb next year.

Are you planning on assassinating Braxton before the game this time around?

PS - Check your date on Boren. Jacoby was one of the first commits for the class of '12 (which is to be expected given who his two older brothers are).

Thomas & Washington are also definitely pre-Meyer recruits. Ricquan verballed the day before Urban was hired but he almost assuredly knew what was coming.

Pittman, Schutt & Spence are the only three that have committed post Meyer. Se'Von was probably Columbus bound anyways (his GF also committed to the Buckeyes).

All that being said the odds of picking up Schutt & Spence were slim to none before Meyer came into the picture.

Are you planning on assassinating Braxton before the game this time around?

PS - Check your date on Boren. Jacoby was one of the first commits for the class of '12 (which is to be expected given who his two older brothers are).

Ahh, good point on Jacoby. I guess that is a "2010" non "2011." (I'll fix it.) Actually, I thought some tOSU fan would call me on Michael Thomas since he committed shorty before Urban signed on. But I'm guessing Urban's decision had been made by then and they were just working out how many sacks of gold to give him. :-)

Ahh, good point on Jacoby. I guess that is a "2010" non "2011." (I'll fix it.) Actually, I thought some tOSU fan would call me on Michael Thomas since he committed shorty before Urban signed on. But I'm guessing Urban's decision had been made by then and they were just working out how many sacks of gold to give him. :-)

Thomas had definitely made up his mind prior (heck he committed a month before the hiring) as he became close with Cardale Jones at Fork Union last year.

Thomas had definitely made up his mind prior (heck he committed a month before the hiring) as he became close with Cardale Jones at Fork Union last year.

I'm not so sure about that. I would bet both parties came to an agreement well before the announcement. Just a hunch on my part though.

Anyway, my point is, Urban pulls in top-notch recruits. Year after year. And does a good job tailoring his schemes to fit his players' strengths. You'd better hope he is able to keep his guys out of jail this time around.

I'm not so sure about that. I would bet both parties came to an agreement well before the announcement. Just a hunch on my part though.

We're talking about a kid that was rumored as a silent verbal at least as early as July.

Anyway, my point is, Urban pulls in top-notch recruits. Year after year.

Agreed. Like most of the top coaches he makes his own luck. People seem to forget that Tim Tebow had little to do with the first UF national championship run...or that he wasn't with Urban at BGU & Utah.

You'd better hope he is able to keep his guys out of jail this time around.

I really think that was just one of those anomalous clumpings that pop up from time to time. From everything I've seen Meyer does the proper due diligence, stresses all the right things and doesn't go after the real problem children.

You'd better hope he is able to keep his guys out of jail this time around.

I really think that was just one of those anomalous clumpings that pop up from time to time. From everything I've seen Meyer does the proper due diligence, stresses all the right things and doesn't go after the real problem children.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not bagging on Meyer. He's top notch in my book. Seems to be a straight arrow. He just had a bunch of guys down in Florida with a bit of a lawless streak. And some of them got caught. tOSU did incredibly well to lure Urban Meyer to Columbus. Now if NU can just figure out a way to kick him to the curb next fall ...