Alabama need to run more of Diamond Formation

I understand that many are not watching football tonight because the Huskers aren’t playing. I think the amateur offensive coordinators out there might be able to catch a few things from this BCS game.

For those that have commented that Beck passes too much, doesn’t run enough diamond, gets away from what is working and blah blah blah, I hope you watched the first half.

The #14 rushing offense in the country has abandoned the rush because guess what…it’s not there. They have to throw the ball. They are taking what the defense is giving them. 42 total plays with 25 of them being passes. So far, I can only recall one rush on first down by Alabama. The play action pass is opening up the run....hmmmmm.

The big difference is the QB play has been consistent and the receivers are catching the ball. Oh yeah….No stupid penalties either.

I wouldn't exactly say that Bama's offensive strategy is that overwhelming. It's really simple, and the few guys that they are using are making good catches, getting what they can, and chipping their way down the field. It's really simple, but hey--sometimes simple works.

That's really my point. I hate to sound like Bo with the coach speak, but they are excuting.

I think the thing with the diamond or pistol or whatever - we see other offenses (OU) use it successfully as a staple. For us, it is almost like a trick play, the rarity of it. But we've shown enough promise out of it that I think it has staple potential.

So when we hit a rut, and we do this a lot on offense, why not make the stuff we run out of the diamond our bread-and-butter go-to stuff? Hopefully we'll see it more next year.

• Fire 1

I think the thing with the diamond or pistol or whatever - we see other offenses (OU) use it successfully as a staple. For us, it is almost like a trick play, the rarity of it. But we've shown enough promise out of it that I think it has staple potential.

So when we hit a rut, and we do this a lot on offense, why not make the stuff we run out of the diamond our bread-and-butter go-to stuff? Hopefully we'll see it more next year.

+1

I understand that many are not watching football tonight because the Huskers aren’t playing. I think the amateur offensive coordinators out there might be able to catch a few things from this BCS game.

For those that have commented that Beck passes too much, doesn’t run enough diamond, gets away from what is working and blah blah blah, I hope you watched the first half.

The #14 rushing offense in the country has abandoned the rush because guess what…it’s not there. They have to throw the ball. They are taking what the defense is giving them. 42 total plays with 25 of them being passes. So far, I can only recall one rush on first down by Alabama. The play action pass is opening up the run....hmmmmm.

The big difference is the QB play has been consistent and the receivers are catching the ball. Oh yeah….No stupid penalties either.

Welp...if NEB doesn't make a few stupid mistakes and all those penalties....the Capitol One Bowl may have been different.....We were gashing a top 5 ranked defense in the running game and we blew it...AAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!! I need to get over it...I will...I will...

I posted this in another thread but that's exactly what Tyler Legate and Austin Cassidy said on Big Red Wrap Up tonight. They said that the penalties/turnovers, not executing was why they lost. They also took responsibility for not executing. They said that the coaches worked on those things over and over and over but they just failed to execute.