Personal experience of police wasting tax payers money

Lincoln, NE Police Website: "The field training and evaluation program takes approximately 22 weeks to complete. During this training phase, the new officers are assigned to work with a designated field training officer whose job is to train and evaluate their performance. New officers are rotated to a different field training officer every four weeks. New officers must reach an acceptable level in all performance areas by the completion of the program. Successful officers are then transferred to the Operations Division for solo team assignments."

So you need to be 21, with a GED and a few months of training and that's it, you're a cop.

I can't defend cops, gotta defend Cactus. I always see them in big groups around one suspect, usually a traffic stop. No one wants a cocky 22 yr old with little education, also on a power trip, telling them what to do

Lincoln, NE Police Website: "The field training and evaluation program takes approximately 22 weeks to complete. During this training phase, the new officers are assigned to work with a designated field training officer whose job is to train and evaluate their performance. New officers are rotated to a different field training officer every four weeks. New officers must reach an acceptable level in all performance areas by the completion of the program. Successful officers are then transferred to the Operations Division for solo team assignments."

So you need to be 21, with a GED and a few months of training and that's it, you're a cop.

a few months? you are listing just the FTO program, what about the academy?

there was a show on A&E called Rookies, it followed young cops as they rode with their FTO for like 6 months. that was only after a 6 month long academy.

how many jobs require a year of training before you can start working? not a whole lot.

some departments probably require a college degree, but if we make that mandatory, we probably will have to start paying cops more. are you okay with paying cops more? by your tone, I doubt you are.

the best way to avoid contact with cops is to not break a law.

I can't defend cops, gotta defend Cactus. I always see them in big groups around one suspect, usually a traffic stop. No one wants a cocky 22 yr old with little education, also on a power trip, telling them what to do

Another guy who doesn't understand the real world. Hope that when the time comes and you need an officer of the law that they are just a few minutes late. You also need to find a way to dislodge your head from your annal canal.

T_O_B

And to be clear, I'm not asking for a thanks, just giving you a glimpse into what we see in our day-to-day professions as cops. I wanted to be a cop since I was a kid, that dream came true at the young age of 21. Now at the age of 31 and having twin 2 1/2 year olds..............................needless to say I think about what could happen to me every day, every stop and it's made me realize how fragile life really is. Having those kids was the best thing that's ever happened to me, but the worst thing that could've happened to me for my career. :lol:

Hellow BRI..And thanks!

Knowing how much my own Son has changed my life, I've been a little surprised you're still in enforcement..I kind of expected you to change careers.

And to the OP..

police wasting tax payers money is probably a good thing..I'd rather they be called out and have it be nothing..The majority of Police Work is probably very mundane and boring..They have no way of knowing ahead of time what kind of force will be required..I hear those Scottsdale women can be mighty forcefull.

I've lived in the PHX area for ~22 years but haven't had the pleasure of dealing with the Scottsdale Police yet..

THe Mesa Police?

I was attacked by some carjackers in a Supermarket parkinglot after I got done lifting weights after midnight...There were at least 5 Cop cars on the scene afterward but the thing that bothered me was the leading questions asked by the officer talking to me..He kept suggesting to me that they were of a race other than what they were..Maybe to tie up loose strings on another case?

They also failed to follow up and have me come in to look at mugshots..even a couple of months later when I called MPD after seeing a picture of the guy that hit me over the head with a tow bar..in the newspaper for killing some other carjacking victim in Cave Creek.

The Chandler Police?

Woke up to 5 of them in my master bedroom upstairs because I was sleeping through their ringing my doorbell..The one time I went to bed before midnight..They were really polite, though.

Maybe a little relieved that I wore some underwear to bed or didn't wake up swinging.

Lincoln Police?

Don't like UNL students, and have no sense of humor.

Holdrege Police?

More often than not seem to have kids that are the worst trouble makers or were troublemakers themselves..But I still thank the one that knew my older Brother and suggested a better makeout/parking spot north of town after he caught me and my girlfriend naked in my car.

It's obvious to me that some in this thread don't dig cops and that's fine. However I'm not going to try and explain all the aspects of the job for several reasons the main one being you can't understand the job unless you are doing it. Just remember that officers make a meager salary doing a job most couldn't/wouldn't want to do. We work sh**ty hours away from our families including holidays because we live for the job. Next time you see a cop thank them for their service. It's a thankless job with countless horrible situations. In my 10 years I've been on the job I've been shot at, stepped over dead bodies to go after the person that murdered them, had to tell parents that their child is deceased, stepped toe-to-toe with gang bangers, been in well over 50 fights, been wrongly accused of assaulting people, held a baby as she took her last breaths on earth 6 short months into her life, ran up to burning car wrecks while people scream in pain and I can do nothing but watch, been exposed to several infectious diseases, drove my vehicle well over a hundred miles per hour so many times I've lost count, and did all these things while my children grow up with me away from the home, I've buried good friends, watched children cry from losing their father and hoped that mine never have to feel that pain, spent many sleepless nights not being able to close my eyes from the visions haunting my dreams. So if you have something bad to say about law enforcement excuse me while I tell you to kiss my rear.

They are professiononals and don't aways act as such. It's not uncommon to come across a bully/power abusing cop...and there are degrees to this. There are many great cops. My uncle is a great guy and I'm sure he was a great cop when he was one in Dallas. I'm witnessed great police work too. Earlier someone mentioned the circle the wagons that many cops do when any of them come under attack. This just throws fuel on the fire. Often instead of just admitting when other cops mess up...it's common for them (in my experience) to do the "mone along...nothing to see here". Again, this is just adding fuel to the fire no matter what profession it happens in. You did the same thing when you came into this thread to a small degree. You assumed it was I that did something more than I was saying...or there was more to the story...as if the cops couldn't have done anything wrong or questionable. Later when backed into a corner you did say IF the story happened as I stated than they could have acted better. As a professoinal I would have expected that to happen at the start. Instead of providing cover for bad cops...good cops should hold them accountable IN PUBLIC. Afteralll it's those cops that give you all a bad rep.

When I was visiting my retired cop uncle in Dallas it was the time of the story of a cop holding up a driver that made a wrong turn while he was on his way to see his dying mom at the hospital...he made him stay outside the hospital while he lectured him..even after a hospital employee said his mom was dying. The guy never made it in time to see him mom before she died. When I saw the story w/ my uncle, right away he said the cop handled it very poorly. He made no excuses and that was that. I posted this story on HP and the resident cop there made every excuse for the cop.

It also keeps the ashes hot when it seems cops rarely receive any significant consequences when they do wrong. Sort of like bad teachers. Maybe it's a union thing w/ cops too?

I realize it can be a grueling job and maybe the pay isn't great. But arethe benefits really good w/ great pensions and early retirement? Or is that in just some cities?

It's also common to see videos of cops doing bad things and that just makes people think it happens a lot more when there are not cameras around.

I'm sure many cops go through a lot, but that doesn't give them a free pass to do bad things. I understand the "you wouldn't understand unless you've been a cop". I hear and give the same excuse to peole that complain about how farmers treat animals. There is SOME validity to this excuse...but it's not 100% valid. For the farmers...it's not as bad as PETA people say, but it is bad/inexcusable at times to a degree. And let's face it...EVERYONE/group can use that excuse to an outsider as a way to excuse bad behavior.

Let's set a few things straight here,

1. Quit trying to put words in my mouth and twist what I said to make it appear I supported you. I said, "I agree, if it came out as a illegal parking call then they should've left." However, I said earlier that I doubt the call came out as an illegal parking situation and it probably came out as something different to them.

2. I'm not going to say the cops messed up, for all I know they were completely in the right to be there. I don't know the whole story, only your side and I don't make decisions based on one side of the story. You may have just parked illegally and they may have overracted, but they also could've received the call differently or been there for something completely different don't know.......................I don't second guess anyone unless I know both sides of the story.

3. You didn't back me into a corner I doubt you could ever back me into a corner on a little argument like this. Again you are just trying to twist things to fit your story which you've done more than once on this board.

4. No the benefits aren't great I got the dwindling bank account to prove that due to medical bills from my children.

5. Never said cops get a free pass to do things because of what they've been through. Don't know where you got that.........................IMO this shows your biased for police coming through because you are trying to pull crap like this out of statements I may have made to fit your argument that police are bad.

6. It's obvious to me I could argue with you about the color of the sky and you'd do whatever you could to be right and say, "no it's yellow!" I could show you picture after picture showing you it's blue, but it wouldn't matter. You're gonna be right and I'm wrong...........cool, not an issue.

This is still my favorite one. I certainly wouldn't have this much restraint.

To disclose everything word is that trooper set that stop up because there was some question as to how he handled drivers and possible use of force situations. I don't know if it was ever proven, but apparently he knew this guy and set it up so he'd go off on the trooper.

Here is another interesting story you...take if for what you think it's worth.

My buddy was a bartender at a bar/club/loung in LA a few years back. I was in town on business so I stopped in to see him. I was talking to a bouncer and asked him if he has much problem with fights, etc. He said no, but when they do it's usually off duty cops that are the problems. I'm guessing this probably woudn't be true in smaller cities..? I mean I can't see it being the case in Lincoln or Omaha.

If I have a bias against cops in general, maybe it's because of me hearing stories like this...and many others...and all the videos catching cops doing bad things that get in the news or on you tube and some first hand examples. AND as I stated earlier it's so common for cops to circle the wagons and make every excuse possible when a cop does something bad...and it seems they rarely are held accountable....I asked earlier if this was because of their union. That said, they all get the benefit of the doubt when I encounter them. I know I don't "hate cops". I've heard others I know say this in the past and I always thought it was odd/unfair. Some were a bit cold towards my college roomie because he was planning on being a cop. Again...I give the BOTD as everyone should.

when cops mess up, it makes news. people care. that's not the same for most professions.

there are a lot of a-hole cops, but most of them are not that way. they put their life on the line to protect others. there are a lot of videos of cops doing stupid crap. but theres also a lot of video of cops doing great things. and then you have the videos of cops losing their lives serving their community. think about those for a minute. quit focusin on the negative and looking for reasons to complain.

It's obvious to me that some in this thread don't dig cops and that's fine. However I'm not going to try and explain all the aspects of the job for several reasons the main one being you can't understand the job unless you are doing it. Just remember that officers make a meager salary doing a job most couldn't/wouldn't want to do. We work sh**ty hours away from our families including holidays because we live for the job. Next time you see a cop thank them for their service. It's a thankless job with countless horrible situations. In my 10 years I've been on the job I've been shot at, stepped over dead bodies to go after the person that murdered them, had to tell parents that their child is deceased, stepped toe-to-toe with gang bangers, been in well over 50 fights, been wrongly accused of assaulting people, held a baby as she took her last breaths on earth 6 short months into her life, ran up to burning car wrecks while people scream in pain and I can do nothing but watch, been exposed to several infectious diseases, drove my vehicle well over a hundred miles per hour so many times I've lost count, and did all these things while my children grow up with me away from the home, I've buried good friends, watched children cry from losing their father and hoped that mine never have to feel that pain, spent many sleepless nights not being able to close my eyes from the visions haunting my dreams. So if you have something bad to say about law enforcement excuse me while I tell you to kiss my rear.

They are professiononals and don't aways act as such. It's not uncommon to come across a bully/power abusing cop...and there are degrees to this. There are many great cops. My uncle is a great guy and I'm sure he was a great cop when he was one in Dallas. I'm witnessed great police work too. Earlier someone mentioned the circle the wagons that many cops do when any of them come under attack. This just throws fuel on the fire. Often instead of just admitting when other cops mess up...it's common for them (in my experience) to do the "mone along...nothing to see here". Again, this is just adding fuel to the fire no matter what profession it happens in. You did the same thing when you came into this thread to a small degree. You assumed it was I that did something more than I was saying...or there was more to the story...as if the cops couldn't have done anything wrong or questionable. Later when backed into a corner you did say IF the story happened as I stated than they could have acted better. As a professoinal I would have expected that to happen at the start. Instead of providing cover for bad cops...good cops should hold them accountable IN PUBLIC. Afteralll it's those cops that give you all a bad rep.

When I was visiting my retired cop uncle in Dallas it was the time of the story of a cop holding up a driver that made a wrong turn while he was on his way to see his dying mom at the hospital...he made him stay outside the hospital while he lectured him..even after a hospital employee said his mom was dying. The guy never made it in time to see him mom before she died. When I saw the story w/ my uncle, right away he said the cop handled it very poorly. He made no excuses and that was that. I posted this story on HP and the resident cop there made every excuse for the cop.

It also keeps the ashes hot when it seems cops rarely receive any significant consequences when they do wrong. Sort of like bad teachers. Maybe it's a union thing w/ cops too?

I realize it can be a grueling job and maybe the pay isn't great. But arethe benefits really good w/ great pensions and early retirement? Or is that in just some cities?

It's also common to see videos of cops doing bad things and that just makes people think it happens a lot more when there are not cameras around.

I'm sure many cops go through a lot, but that doesn't give them a free pass to do bad things. I understand the "you wouldn't understand unless you've been a cop". I hear and give the same excuse to peole that complain about how farmers treat animals. There is SOME validity to this excuse...but it's not 100% valid. For the farmers...it's not as bad as PETA people say, but it is bad/inexcusable at times to a degree. And let's face it...EVERYONE/group can use that excuse to an outsider as a way to excuse bad behavior.

Let's set a few things straight here,

1. Quit trying to put words in my mouth and twist what I said to make it appear I supported you. I said, "I agree, if it came out as a illegal parking call then they should've left." However, I said earlier that I doubt the call came out as an illegal parking situation and it probably came out as something different to them.

2. I'm not going to say the cops messed up, for all I know they were completely in the right to be there. I don't know the whole story, only your side and I don't make decisions based on one side of the story. You may have just parked illegally and they may have overracted, but they also could've received the call differently or been there for something completely different don't know.......................I don't second guess anyone unless I know both sides of the story.

3. You didn't back me into a corner I doubt you could ever back me into a corner on a little argument like this. Again you are just trying to twist things to fit your story which you've done more than once on this board.

4. No the benefits aren't great I got the dwindling bank account to prove that due to medical bills from my children.

5. Never said cops get a free pass to do things because of what they've been through. Don't know where you got that.........................IMO this shows your biased for police coming through because you are trying to pull crap like this out of statements I may have made to fit your argument that police are bad.

6. It's obvious to me I could argue with you about the color of the sky and you'd do whatever you could to be right and say, "no it's yellow!" I could show you picture after picture showing you it's blue, but it wouldn't matter. You're gonna be right and I'm wrong...........cool, not an issue.

fantastic post! and yes he's definitely biased against police.

Another guy who doesn't understand the real world. Hope that when the time comes and you need an officer of the law that they are just a few minutes late. You also need to find a way to dislodge your head from your annal canal.

T_O_B

Got info straight from the website.

Not sure how that's my fault...

BTW, the cops are always late.