Personal experience of police wasting tax payers money

I've got a few possible explanations. 1- they fed off of your smart ass comments and questions. Cops typically don't like to be questioned by somebody who is obviously doing something wrong even if it's only a minor parking infraction. 2- possibly the person who reported it thought you were a drunk driver due to the way you parked. 3- the officers were husker fans and heard you had been calling for the return of Callahan. But I doubt that is it since you are still apparently able to use your fingers.

I realize that was tongue in cheek....but the 2 things I'm questioning/have issue w/ happened before I said a word to them. 4 cars and coming onto private property for a parking issue. Maybe they did think I was drunk for partly parking on a curb, but even if I was drunk they can't do anything on privite property.

Just because I have a lot of free time...I may call the police one night if I think of it and tell them a scenerio like this and see what they say to me. But then before getting off the phone I'll say "oh...they just left". That way I don't waste their time. :)

In Nebraska, if the private property is a "place held open to the public" you can and will be charged with DUI. Places like apartment parking lots, store parking lots, drive throughs, etc. are private property but you can still be convicted of DUI.

See......................Caputo...................

I would video tape it from my iphone and posted on youtube. 4 cop cars showing up to handle a bad parking job on private property. What a joke.

Better check your state and local laws on that. Many of the states and larger municipalities now have laws that prohibit the videotaping of on-duty police officers engaged in doing their civic duty.

I've got a few possible explanations. 1- they fed off of your smart ass comments and questions. Cops typically don't like to be questioned by somebody who is obviously doing something wrong even if it's only a minor parking infraction. 2- possibly the person who reported it thought you were a drunk driver due to the way you parked. 3- the officers were husker fans and heard you had been calling for the return of Callahan. But I doubt that is it since you are still apparently able to use your fingers.

I realize that was tongue in cheek....but the 2 things I'm questioning/have issue w/ happened before I said a word to them. 4 cars and coming onto private property for a parking issue. Maybe they did think I was drunk for partly parking on a curb, but even if I was drunk they can't do anything on privite property.

Just because I have a lot of free time...I may call the police one night if I think of it and tell them a scenerio like this and see what they say to me. But then before getting off the phone I'll say "oh...they just left". That way I don't waste their time. :)

Actually I was being serious about the first 2 possibilities and #1 was intended as a reason for him/they being a dick about it, not for why so many showed up. 4 cars in that scenario does seem a little bizarre. But who knows, they may have recently had some problems in that area or any of a number of other things that, if known, might make a lot more sense. Slow night and 4 cars with similar response distances, they were all on break at a nearby donut shop,....who knows. I think you can rest assured that somebody along the way assumed it was more than just a parking infraction however. Kind of funny the double standard people have on these issues. If you're the one getting the ticket or harassed, there's too many cops and they're dicks and out of control. If you're the one being harmed by illegal behavior, there's not enough cops, they're too nice to the perps, and they take too long to respond. Go figure.

In Nebraska, if the private property is a "place held open to the public" you can and will be charged with DUI. Places like apartment parking lots, store parking lots, drive throughs, etc. are private property but you can still be convicted of DUI.

See......................Caputo...................

Yeah. There was an appellate case in Nebraska in the last month or so that dealt with the same issue. The court decided that a private residential driveway isn't "held open to the public." It's a fine line.

I would video tape it from my iphone and posted on youtube. 4 cop cars showing up to handle a bad parking job on private property. What a joke.

Better check your state and local laws on that. Many of the states and larger municipalities now have laws that prohibit the videotaping of on-duty police officers engaged in doing their civic duty.

I'm aware of that. I'd be ok w/ getting a ticket or arrested for it though. It's going to take that to happen enough times..so people can become aware of such a stupid law for it to end.

. . . and it's absolute BS. Why wouldn't the police and public want these interactions recorded? I don't see it as being any different than cruiser cams.

Actually I was being serious about the first 2 possibilities and #1 was intended as a reason for him/they being a dick about it, not for why so many showed up. 4 cars in that scenario does seem a little bizarre. But who knows, they may have recently had some problems in that area or any of a number of other things that, if known, might make a lot more sense. Slow night and 4 cars with similar response distances, they were all on break at a nearby donut shop,....who knows. I think you can rest assured that somebody along the way assumed it was more than just a parking infraction however. Kind of funny the double standard people have on these issues. If you're the one getting the ticket or harassed, there's too many cops and they're dicks and out of control. If you're the one being harmed by illegal behavior, there's not enough cops, they're too nice to the perps, and they take too long to respond. Go figure.

I didn't say it in an arrogant way. I know better than to be a dick to a cop...or to be the instigator. But I will ask an obvious, relevant question in a respectful manner. If they turn dickish then I'll get more assertive if I'm sure I'm in the right and have all my ducks in a row. And besides...since when are cops above answering simple straight forward questions. Too many cops these days think their crap don't stink and can talk/act down to anyone they want. I realize they have to command/receive respect, but they don't have to be a dick just because they think they can. Maybe he felt he had to act tough in front of the other officers. I read that some cities don't even allow cops to ride in pairs now because it's too common for them to act irrationally and gung ho when they are w/ another officer.

There is no double standard here. Even if it was a case like you propose above, 2 cop cars should have left as soon as they saw what the situation was. They could have been out cruising for drunk drivers or be closer to the bars where it's not uncommon for fights to break out after they close. OR...like I said if all that is covered than they obviously are overstaffed.

He also didn't say anything like...we got a call about a car parked "illegally" and some crazy guy yelling or acting weird. I parked the car and didn't even open a window before getting out when I saw the cops. The cop shoudl have just said..."can you move your car to an open spot (by that time 2 had opened up) and we'll be on our way."

After googling...it seems that in AZ you can get DUI on private property. At least that was lawyers have said in forums/sites. So I wonder why they didn't even give me a field test. I wonder if it mattered that I got out of the car before they approached me. I wouldn't think this would matter until reading this...

In other instances, police may witness the person driving their car on public roads and wish to question them. However, the person pulls into a private drive or private lot and removes themselves from the car. If the person returns to their car in a short period of time and attempts to drive off, or even start the car, the police now have a reason to detain the person.

Is that what it's saying?? In the above example I would think the person could still get DUI....or maybe I'm reading it wrong?

http://www.myduiattorney.org/dui-tips/can-you-get-a-dui-on-private-property.html

. . . and it's absolute BS. Why wouldn't the police and public want these interactions recorded? I don't see it as being any different than cruiser cams.

I THINK the laws originally meant to prevent only audio recordings and since camcorders have mics they apply.

I didn't say it in an arrogant way. I know better than to be a dick to a cop...or to be the instigator. But I will ask an obvious, relevant question in a respectful manner. If they turn dickish then I'll get more assertive if I'm sure I'm in the right and have all my ducks in a row. And besides...since when are cops above answering simple straight forward questions. Too many cops these days think their crap don't stink and can talk/act down to anyone they want. I realize they have to command/receive respect, but they don't have to be a dick just because they think they can. Maybe he felt he had to act tough in front of the other officers. I read that some cities don't even allow cops to ride in pairs now because it's too common for them to act irrationally and gung ho when they are w/ another officer.

There is no double standard here. Even if it was a case like you propose above, 2 cop cars should have left as soon as they saw what the situation was. They could have been out cruising for drunk drivers or be closer to the bars where it's not uncommon for fights to break out after they close. OR...like I said if all that is covered than they obviously are overstaffed.

He also didn't say anything like...we got a call about a car parked "illegally" and some crazy guy yelling or acting weird. I parked the car and didn't even open a window before getting out when I saw the cops. The cop shoudl have just said..."can you move your car to an open spot (by that time 2 had opened up) and we'll be on our way."

Apply to be the Chief of Police if you think you know what you're talking about and you can do such a great job. You're probably never gonna get a good response if you start getting chippy with a cop whether you're right or not. Also, until you're a cop or have been in ones shoes you won't know how laughable your comment about them being overstaffed is.

I THINK the laws originally meant to prevent only audio recordings and since camcorders have mics they apply.

And I think both video and audio recordings should be encouraged by the police and public. I still don't know what possible arguments could be made against them.

BIGREDIOWAN, what are your thoughts?

Why would the police come in the first place if you were simply parked funny on private property? Shouldn't that be the problem of the landlord or maybe towing company? Something doesn't add up here.

That's what I asked and they had no answer. The cop that did most of the talking was a dick. One thing he said/asked was if I think that is an ok way to park. I said yes because there were no pen places and the way I parked was short term and didn't affect anyone...although techncally it was wrong. He said "NO..it's not just technically wrong..blah blah...." When I asked where they would have parked or what they would have done they didn't have anything to say. I wish I could do it over. I would video tape it from my iphone and posted on youtube. 4 cop cars showing up to handle a bad parking job on private property. What a joke.

Oh, another example of his prickness. There was one cop that was dressed differently. Had a different jacket and no clear markings or whatever. So i asked if he was the secuirty guard and if he called it in. The main cop told me not to insult the guy by calling him a security guard. So I said I wasn't...that I said it because he was dressed differently.

FTR - this is the 2nd time I've dealt w/ Scottsdale Police. The 1st time the 2 officers were great.

Oh, you're one of those guys, explains alot.........................also I seriously doubt 4 police cars showed up for your little parking situation. Chances are they were there for some other reason.

One of those guys? lol Someone that expects accountabililty from police and those that are paid by our tax dollars? Yes I am.

If there was some other reason 4 cop cars showed up I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have even posted the story. But way to just pull stuff completely out of your rear for no apparent reason.

How would you have known what else they were there for? Or are you just assuming that they were there to just deal with you? Just admit that you don't know for sure..............

And I think both video and audio recordings should be encouraged by the police and public. I still don't know what possible arguments could be made against them.

BIGREDIOWAN, what are your thoughts?

I don't care if someone tapes me, I'm taping them and everything I do is already on audio/video. I trust in my abilities to do my job correctly so I have nothing to hide. Those audio/video recordings help officers more than they hurt them. My issue with the videos is people do selective editing to put cops in a bad light, they won't show the entire video to get the entire story.

I don't care if someone tapes me, I'm taping them and everything I do is already on audio/video. I trust in my abilities to do my job correctly so I have nothing to hide. Those audio/video recordings help officers more than they hurt them. My issue with the videos is people do selective editing to put cops in a bad light, they won't show the entire video to get the entire story.

So video footage controlled by the police that can be used to paint them in a positive light is okay, but footage controlled by the citizen that can be used to paint police in a negative light is not? I wonder how often footage from cruiser dash cameras are actually reviewed without an explicit complaint of unlawful misconduct... I would argue that personal cameras not only prevent and expose unlawful police misconduct, but also help protect people from unprofessional and inappropriate behavior that may go unpunished without public outcry.

Apply to be the Chief of Police if you think you know what you're talking about and you can do such a great job. You're probably never gonna get a good response if you start getting chippy with a cop whether you're right or not. Also, until you're a cop or have been in ones shoes you won't know how laughable your comment about them being overstaffed is.

Being overstaffed was one possible conclusion I gave. The other was they shouldn't have all been there and had better things to be doing on the taxpayers dime.