Personal experience of police wasting tax payers money

what if the cops were called out to a suspicious vehicle? were there recent burglaries in the complex or area of town? maybe recent crime trends or sumthin? and there happened to be several cops in the area, and it was a slow night boys in blue tend to stick together.

maybe they gave you a ticket for speeding, but you didnt think you were speeding TOO much and you want to go to court unprepared?

I would video tape it from my iphone and posted on youtube. 4 cop cars showing up to handle a bad parking job on private property. What a joke.

Better check your state and local laws on that. Many of the states and larger municipalities now have laws that prohibit the videotaping of on-duty police officers engaged in doing their civic duty.

. . . and it's absolute BS. Why wouldn't the police and public want these interactions recorded? I don't see it as being any different than cruiser cams.

If I'm reading you right, yes, they're BS. And the Federal Courts have weighed in on cops trying to prevent recordings by using existing two-party wiretapping statues.

But it still doesn't prevent municipalities from passing the laws, and how many of us have the cash to fight this to its necessary conclusion through the legal system?

I would video tape it from my iphone and posted on youtube. 4 cop cars showing up to handle a bad parking job on private property. What a joke.

Better check your state and local laws on that. Many of the states and larger municipalities now have laws that prohibit the videotaping of on-duty police officers engaged in doing their civic duty.

. . . and it's absolute BS. Why wouldn't the police and public want these interactions recorded? I don't see it as being any different than cruiser cams.

If I'm reading you right, yes, they're BS. And the Federal Courts have weighed in on cops trying to prevent recordings by using existing two-party wiretapping statues.

But it still doesn't prevent municipalities from passing the laws, and how many of us have the cash to fight this to its necessary conclusion through the legal system?

Agreed. I think a few jurisdictions have passed laws expressly permitting the videotaping of on-duty officers. I think more states and cities should follow suit.

All I know is the police in Kearney, NE have waaaaaay too much time on their hands. I visit a friend there from time to time, and pretty much every time we get harassed by the cops while walking home from the bar. I've never really had many problems with the police anywhere else in the country, and I've lived on both coasts and several places in betweeen.

The police in Kearney do an outstanding job. I've lived in a few places myself. Don't have near the problems of GI & Lex.

I wouldn't consider it an outstanding job when 5 cops harass 2 guys who are minding their own business whilst about 30-40 people drive around town drunk. But there's no doubt Kearney isn't as much of a shithole as Lex and GI. Wouldn't say the police department is the only reason for that.

It's obvious to me that some in this thread don't dig cops and that's fine. However I'm not going to try and explain all the aspects of the job for several reasons the main one being you can't understand the job unless you are doing it. Just remember that officers make a meager salary doing a job most couldn't/wouldn't want to do. We work sh**ty hours away from our families including holidays because we live for the job. Next time you see a cop thank them for their service. It's a thankless job with countless horrible situations. In my 10 years I've been on the job I've been shot at, stepped over dead bodies to go after the person that murdered them, had to tell parents that their child is deceased, stepped toe-to-toe with gang bangers, been in well over 50 fights, been wrongly accused of assaulting people, held a baby as she took her last breaths on earth 6 short months into her life, ran up to burning car wrecks while people scream in pain and I can do nothing but watch, been exposed to several infectious diseases, drove my vehicle well over a hundred miles per hour so many times I've lost count, and did all these things while my children grow up with me away from the home, I've buried good friends, watched children cry from losing their father and hoped that mine never have to feel that pain, spent many sleepless nights not being able to close my eyes from the visions haunting my dreams. So if you have something bad to say about law enforcement excuse me while I tell you to kiss my rear.

• Fire 1

It's obvious to me that some in this thread don't dig cops and that's fine. However I'm not going to try and explain all the aspects of the job for several reasons the main one being you can't understand the job unless you are doing it. Just remember that officers make a meager salary doing a job most couldn't/wouldn't want to do. We work sh**ty hours away from our families including holidays because we live for the job. Next time you see a cop thank them for their service. It's a thankless job with countless horrible situations. In my 10 years I've been on the job I've been shot at, stepped over dead bodies to go after the person that murdered them, had to tell parents that their child is deceased, stepped toe-to-toe with gang bangers, been in well over 50 fights, been wrongly accused of assaulting people, held a baby as she took her last breaths on earth 6 short months into her life, ran up to burning car wrecks while people scream in pain and I can do nothing but watch, been exposed to several infectious diseases, drove my vehicle well over a hundred miles per hour so many times I've lost count, and did all these things while my children grow up with me away from the home, I've buried good friends, watched children cry from losing their father and hoped that mine never have to feel that pain, spent many sleepless nights not being able to close my eyes from the visions haunting my dreams. So if you have something bad to say about law enforcement excuse me while I tell you to kiss my rear.

I hope you aren't including me in this, BRI. I think most police officers are good and decent people but I do find myself holding them to a higher standard. That whole "with great power comes great responsibility" bit.

Edit: that said . . . I don't know what to make of these kinds of comments. Certain professions seem to adopt an "everyone should thank me" attitude. I don't think I've ever been thanked for any job I've ever had . . . but that doesn't bother me because I chose to do them and I was compensated for my efforts.

I suspect you have the respect and gratitude of the MAJORITY on this board and throughout the country! Most of us have true appreciation for your efforts. I hope you don’t let the generalizations of a few keep you from recognizing that fact.

Well Done!

thanks, BIGREDIOWA. if most of us make a minor mistake at work, no one outside of our job gives a damn.

if you make a minor mistake, we all bitch and moan about it non-stop.

if i take a break at work, no one cares except maybe my boss.

if you take a break at work, people assume you're lazy and are simply wasting tax-payer's money.

a bad day at work for many of us might be printing out the wrong paperwork or being late for a meeting.

a bad day at work for you might include holding a dying child in your arms, gitting spit on or shot at by some thug trying earn his keep in a gang.

a lot of us don't want to see the police until we need them. we don't want to get a speeding ticket. we don't want to see you investigate us at night when all we think we're doing is illegally parking on a curb.

but BRI, i thank you for what you do.

I have found that law enforcement officers wold rather you stay in your vehicle. Getting out before you are asked to is most likley considered to be 'an aggressive move.' These officers don't know if you have a weapon or not but if you act in an aggressive way the best thing for them to assume is that you do have a weapon.

Also from the posts I have seen here on HB that are authored by Cactusg___ I find it hard to believe that his comments were polite rather that sarcastic and basically uncalled for in the situation described.

Next time around park your car close to the girls door, leave it running, walk her to the door and say good night, go back to your car and go home.

Law enforcement officers have their lives on the line every minute they are on duty. In the last two years South Dakota has lost four officers who were in the line of duty. Every chance I get I let them know that they are appreciated.

T_O_B

And to be clear, I'm not asking for a thanks, just giving you a glimpse into what we see in our day-to-day professions as cops. I wanted to be a cop since I was a kid, that dream came true at the young age of 21. Now at the age of 31 and having twin 2 1/2 year olds..............................needless to say I think about what could happen to me every day, every stop and it's made me realize how fragile life really is. Having those kids was the best thing that's ever happened to me, but the worst thing that could've happened to me for my career. :lol:

I hope you aren't including me in this, BRI. I think most police officers are good and decent people but I do find myself holding them to a higher standard. That whole "with great power comes great responsibility" bit.

Edit: that said . . . I don't know what to make of these kinds of comments. Certain professions seem to adopt an "everyone should thank me" attitude. I don't think I've ever been thanked for any job I've ever had . . . but that doesn't bother me because I chose to do them and I was compensated for my efforts.

Was not including you in that comment carlfense...............no issues here with anything you've said.

yeah, cactusboyOG is the same poster who had a similar problem with police a few years ago when they gave him a speeding ticket. he set up a court date (even after admitting he was speeding) and ended up being extremely unprepared. he felt like the cop had no right to give him a ticket and he claimed the cop was a dick even though he was not. a lot of times people don't realize when they are being rude to someone, especially when they're insisting they did nothin wrong. just sayin

if you went into the encounter with the "i'm doing nothing wrong" despite you admitting you parked like one of those a-holes in the big trucks who think they can park anywhere...i doubt you were just some polite dude getting treated poorly by the police. i also doubt they were called to your location because you were illegally parked. someone probably saw a vehicle in the parking lot that was left running and for sum reason thought it was suspicious. or perhaps there had been burglaries in that area and a resident called when they thought u were casing the area when you said you couldnt find somewhere to park, and perhaps that resident became suspicious when they saw u drive up on a curb and no resident get out of the vehicle.

when the cops contact you, change up your attitude. instead of always having the "but i did NOTHING WRONG!" attitude, u at the very least were parked up on the curb. a simple "my bad, i couldnt find a spot and i was in a hurry, i'll move it" probably would have made for a more pleasant counter.