For any fitness fanatics on this message board

Routine from yesterday:

Back/Triceps (Pull Major/Push Minor):

Superset (these two exercises are alternated then rest for 45s after both movements are performed):

Pull-ups (utilizing selectorized weight machine): 140lbs x 12 (warm-up), 160lbs x 10, 180lbs x 10, MAX SET: BW (220lbs) til failure x 11 reps. Rest Paused 15s, then completed x 3 reps BW, lastly 2 eccentric contractions lowering slowly for 10s. After that, 2 more sub-max sets of 8 w/ 160lbs.

Cable Overhead Tricpes Extensions w/ bar: 30lbs x 20 (warm-up), 60lbs x 8, 100lbs x 6, MAX SET: 150lbs til failure x 10 reps w/ drop sets of 100x 8 reps and 80 x 8 reps. Thereafter, two more sub-max sets of 8-10 reps w/ 100lbs

Barbell Rows: 135lbs x 10, 165lbs x 6, 185 x 6, MAX SET: 225lbs x 9 reps (a lil sloppy, but I haven't gone that heavy in a while, had to challenge myself) 2 more sub-max sets performed with 195lbs x 7-9 reps

Lying DB Extensions: 15lbs x 10 reps, 20 x 6 reps, 25 x 6 reps, MAX SET: 35 x 9 reps. 2 more sub-max sets w/ 30lbs x 8 reps

Right now, I currently alternate from week to week going from high-hypertrophy reps (10 reps) to lower-hypertrophic reps (6 reps), only exception is pull-ups ( I keep those reps high every week for now). If I stagnate on an exercise, I will employ rest-pause techniques, eccentrics and drop-sets. These intensity techniques are employed to help facilitate muscular overload to bring about strength and size gains. Also, the sub-max sets are employed to induce more volume and TUT (time under tension) to elicit muscle size/growth.

I follow a fairly simple routine sticking to basic exercises. I also performed some abdominal work and calf work in that workout. My workouts last typically 45min to an hour.

Yeah, I keep it fairly simple too. I usually have a day for chest/back, a day for biceps/triceps, a day for legs, and I work abs every day just to continually try to tighten my midsection. I thought I would keep you updated on this too: my cutting cycle is going really well. It's not purely a cutting cycle because I am still trying to build muscle as well, but my abs are peeking through more and more all the time.

I actually bought a testosterone booster from my buddy who had a supplement store, so in addition to cutting some fat, I have seen about a 10% strength increases in almost all of my lifts. It feels freakin' awesome!

• Fire 1

Used to lift weights in HS but haven't picked up a barbell in 30 years. Worked at a meat packing plant for a number of years and still have the remnants of the mass I built in my upper body. I still have good strength but the middle age spread has hit SEVERELY around the gut and I've lost alot of definition ( ya, man boobs).

I don't understand all the jargon on lifting and dieting.

Are there any websites that a dummy like me can go to and pull up a daily or weekly diet menu for losing the fat? and one for regaining definition and strength?

My wife has a six pack and is a cardio fanatic ( see avatar), but that isn't for me. I just want to lose weight and get back into shape gradually. Any ideas??

I really enjoy this site for info. regarding nutrition and performance: www.tnation.com Also, www.bodybuilding.com isn't a bad website as well, I just think Tnation spits you more of the real deal and gives you information that can be highly beneficial. I believe there are some websites out there were you can track your daily caloric intake and it will disclose your ratio's for the day, here's one that may be useful, www.fitday.com. Also...look into Paleolithic dieting principles and methods...I find the paleo diet is beneficial for a solid portion of the population, but it is not for everyone. A lot of your fat loss comes from utilizing the right nutrients and the right ratios to put your body in a fat-loss environment.

Thanks!! I'll give those websites a look. I'd send a pic w/o my shirt on but you might regurgitate your lunch.

I follow a fairly simple routine sticking to basic exercises. I also performed some abdominal work and calf work in that workout. My workouts last typically 45min to an hour.

Yeah, I keep it fairly simple too. I usually have a day for chest/back, a day for biceps/triceps, a day for legs, and I work abs every day just to continually try to tighten my midsection. I thought I would keep you updated on this too: my cutting cycle is going really well. It's not purely a cutting cycle because I am still trying to build muscle as well, but my abs are peeking through more and more all the time.

I actually bought a testosterone booster from my buddy who had a supplement store, so in addition to cutting some fat, I have seen about a 10% strength increases in almost all of my lifts. It feels freakin' awesome!

good! If you ever feel you are losing strength....there's a few options you can employ and then assess your outcomes: 1.) decrease cardio 2.) add in some healthy fats 3.) add in some protein 4.) add in more post-workout carbs. *I would change one variable at a time though, then assess.

I believe a HUGE influence on your strength and size gains comes from your post-workout meal. Always eat a solid portion of protein (either whole food or shake, i prefer whole food) and carbohydrate after your workout. RIght now....I am actually eating Chipotle everyday after my workout. Gives me the quality carbs, fiber and protein that I need to replenish drained stores.

This is my current diet (beware...very simple):

Meal 1 - 2 to 3 chicken thighs cooked with mac nut oil. (Consumption actually depends on how hungry I am at the time. I don't count calories like I use to. I let the mirror, the weights and the scale tell me if I should increase or decrease a variable within my regimen).

Meal 2- Same as above.

Meal 3 (Post-workout)- A bowl from chipotle w/ double protein. I cut out the burrito because I don't need the extra flour crap from the tortilla, not very healthy IMO.

*Every 2 to 3 weeks, I'll typically have a cheat meal to give myself a break. I don't recommend this to everyone....but at some point in time...I believe you have to take a break from eating strictly healthy. Also, this typically gives me that extra metabolic boost that I need depending on certain conditions.

good topic man.....i had a sports injury and got up to around 265 at one point......started doing p90x/cardio/kickboxing and im down to about 195.....i became a vegetarian and dont eat much sugar/salt anymore.....dont drink anything water and milk....i recently (about 4 months ago) dropped weight training and started doing HIIT (high intensity interval training).....it helped me get rid of the last 10 pounds pretty easily.....

nice! now where's your shoulder work!? lol

good topic man.....i had a sports injury and got up to around 265 at one point......started doing p90x/cardio/kickboxing and im down to about 195.....i became a vegetarian and dont eat much sugar/salt anymore.....dont drink anything water and milk....i recently (about 4 months ago) dropped weight training and started doing HIIT (high intensity interval training).....it helped me get rid of the last 10 pounds pretty easily.....

I prefer to do either HIT style or low-intensity cardio....studies show that those 2 modes of cardiovascular work promote the most fat burn while sparing muscle. A perfect example is to look at a long-distance runner and then go look at a sprinter. Both do cardiovascular work, but the type of work and the energy systems associated with that work are completely different. I am not surprised that HIT worked well for you.

Gain muscle. I'm OK in the fat department. I just don't have the discipline right now, except for running, which is already a habit for me. That just keeps me at a status quo, though.

All I know about gaining muscle is fewer reps, more intensity. And lots of protein, maybe. And that you are either gaining muscle and fat, or cutting fat without gaining muscle, hard to do both. Haven't read every post in this thread in detail yet, but plan to.

I'm not an expert or anything, but just figured I'd share a few things that have really worked for me.

I had a trainer tell me don't really worry too much about number of reps, just do as many as you can. If you can do 13 you need to add more weight. That's a general rule of thumb that I think works pretty good.

Wait until the soreness has gone away before you lift again. As I understand it, the soreness means your muscles are still regenerating, it doens't do any good to tear them down again while they're healing themselves. When I started my program in July, it took me a week to recover after my first workout.

Eat cottage cheese before bed. I prefer low fat cottage cheese. That's a good kind of protein to feed your muscles while you're sleeping.

nice! now where's your shoulder work!? lol

Oh yeah, I usually throw shoulders in with either chest/back or bi/tri days. Don't worry, it's there.

• Fire 1

Question about a couple of you that mentioned the HIIT program. Any recommendations to start up on doing this? Did some reading on this last night and seems pretty extreme if first just starting out, so wondering the best way to begin something like this without injury and/or complete burnout.