For any fitness fanatics on this message board

Been dealing with some issues in my feet over the last few months that has hampered my running routine. Had a stress fracture in my right foot, so I let it heal for about 8 weeks. Then I had plantar fasciitis in my left foot, let that heal for a few weeks. Got my first honest jog in today for the first time since around the beginning of March. It felt pretty good. Took it really easy to ease my way back into it.

I should probably just break down and get a membership at the Y or something so I can do some cardio that doesn't involve so much running. Anyone here go to any gyms in Lincoln? Any recommendations?

Also....if you want to learn about getting strong, and also about building size...look into purchasing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 book. PM me if you're interested. Very simple and is an easy read.

I have this book also and it is very informitive. He has one for basic weight training and one for powerlifting. They are basicly the same except his views on diets when it comes to powerlifting.

Question about a couple of you that mentioned the HIIT program. Any recommendations to start up on doing this? Did some reading on this last night and seems pretty extreme if first just starting out, so wondering the best way to begin something like this without injury and/or complete burnout.

Im not an expert on this really, but how i got started in doing it was by going outside (to a football field) with a stopwatch.....i would jog for 5 minutes to warmup....After the warmup, I would do a 30 second sprint (you can tell if you are going too hard)......then lightly jog around for 30 seconds......then repeat until you are shot.....the reason i like this so much is because your body doesnt seem to realize that it is tired as quickly as it does during endurance running......you obviously feel winded and fatigued, but 30 seconds isnt really that long of a period.....so you continue to push yourself.....

I would just start doing it......if you feel the sprints at 100% is too much, tone it down to 90% speed and so on and so forth...GOOD LUCK

Been dealing with some issues in my feet over the last few months that has hampered my running routine. Had a stress fracture in my right foot, so I let it heal for about 8 weeks. Then I had plantar fasciitis in my left foot, let that heal for a few weeks. Got my first honest jog in today for the first time since around the beginning of March. It felt pretty good. Took it really easy to ease my way back into it.

I should probably just break down and get a membership at the Y or something so I can do some cardio that doesn't involve so much running. Anyone here go to any gyms in Lincoln? Any recommendations?

Do not get a membership at the Y unless you like to overpay for basic stuff. It's pretty ridiculous. If you're just looking at somewhere to do cardio I would check out the smaller gyms like Blue Moon or maybe Aspen. Though I am not aware of the price of Aspen.

Do not get a membership at the Y unless you like to overpay for basic stuff. It's pretty ridiculous. If you're just looking at somewhere to do cardio I would check out the smaller gyms like Blue Moon or maybe Aspen. Though I am not aware of the price of Aspen.

That's basically the reason I haven't joined the Y yet. I used to like Gold's when they were around (I liked it more before they got new equipment), haven't been in there since it's been Blue Moon. I'll just have to start calling around or something.

When I lived in North Platte the Rec was crazy cheap (something like $30 for six months), almost made it worth living in that crap hole town lol.

I just started using this porduct from GNC:

pGNC1-9196484t300x300.jpg

My buddy actually recommended it to me, I have had trouble actually gaining weight so adding an extra "meal" should help. I usually drink one fright after my workout. But I still eat 3 square meals a day, and maybe one healthy snack in the afternoon depending on how hungry I am.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following this thread for awhile and figured I would chip in and get some opinions/advice. So here's some background; I began lifting again last year after basically not doing anything for the last 4 or 5 years while I was in college. Basic idea was to add some muscle to help boost my slow metabolism and then maybe start cutting weight. Didn't really work that way because I eat about 700-800 calories less than everything projects I should and I only maintain my weight. This is my routine, which I switch up every few months or so http://www.muscleand...it-workout.html

When I started lifting I was about 255lbs and with a bachelor party and a trip to fogo de chao in KC (place is amazing and expensive!) I was up to 260 again (played football at 265). So I started adding cardio this spring and dropped 10 pounds from mid April through May and now I'm seeing what HIIT cardio will do for me. At present I'm hovering somewhere around 250lbs. At 6'1" I wouldn't say I'm fat because my body hides it well, but I definitely don't like the way I look. My diet is pretty decent I eat 5 to 6 meals of about 400 calories a day. I could probably use more greens but in general I cover all the bases, never been a big fast food/soda person anyway. The one thing I do find hard is consuming enough protein with out exceeding what I want to eat in fat and calories. I am supposed to eat about 200grams of protein a day but usually I only consume 120-170 and the most I've been able to get down was about 190, with a couple protein shakes and a half slab of ribs. Overall though I've seen some decent gains with out hitting that goal, definitely more definition in my arms/shoulders and I feel like they have grown a bit as well. I would have to say I'm pretty pleased with the results so far especially considering my lackluster commitment at times.

Anyways on to a question. I wouldn't say I've hit a plateau, because I log each work out and I have seen improvement every week in my muscle groups, but the one lift that is always lagging is my bench. It's always been the slowest progressing lift for me so I'm concentrating on form now with less concern for the outcome of wieght/reps. But I've also noticed that after my chest/bicep days I typically don't get enough sleep, which probably hurts my recovery. So browsing around some of the fitness forums I came across ZMA. It supposedly helps you sleep better at night and increase you testosterone levels to their natural maximum levels IF you are lacking in the three supplements (zinc, magnesium and, vitamin B6). It's got some mixed reviews but most people say it actually does give them better rest at night, something I haven't had in a long time. I'm not big into supplements, in fact I've never taken anything other than a protein shake, but it's pretty cheap and I figured it probably couldn't hurt to try it once. I was just curious if anyone else here has tried it or has an opinion on it?

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd bring this thread back a little bit because I'm starting to get a little bit more time on my hands recently for focusing on working out, so I'm sure I will need advice and support at some point in the near future.

I wouldn't say I've hit a plateau, because I log each work out and I have seen improvement every week in my muscle groups, but the one lift that is always lagging is my bench. It's always been the slowest progressing lift for me so I'm concentrating on form now with less concern for the outcome of wieght/reps. But I've also noticed that after my chest/bicep days I typically don't get enough sleep, which probably hurts my recovery. So browsing around some of the fitness forums I came across ZMA. It supposedly helps you sleep better at night and increase you testosterone levels to their natural maximum levels IF you are lacking in the three supplements (zinc, magnesium and, vitamin B6). It's got some mixed reviews but most people say it actually does give them better rest at night, something I haven't had in a long time. I'm not big into supplements, in fact I've never taken anything other than a protein shake, but it's pretty cheap and I figured it probably couldn't hurt to try it once. I was just curious if anyone else here has tried it or has an opinion on it?

I haven't had extensive experience using supplements and thing like that, but here's my contribution to your wonders. With my fitness "program" I have always had the mentality that if I am not training for a strength sport such as football, it is kind of pointless for me personally to work my bench up to 300 pounds. I haven't stepped my weight up on bench basically since I started lifting, and it works just fine for me. I get the best results physically from lifting medium weight 10-15 times, or until failure and doing as many sets as possible with varying weights.

With my bench specifically, I have really switched from flat bench to a lot more incline. The reason is because of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q72587FbYXk

If Phil Heath says that incline builds a better chest and also decreases chances for injury, I listen. He and Ronnie Coleman are probably the 2 biggest role models in body building IMO. I've been working on incline only for about 3 weeks now and have already seen a big difference.

• 2 months later...

I'd love to see Huskerboard at an area specific for fitness/health/exercise/running etc. I really think it could be a great compliment to what HB already offers. I have a lot of great content I'd love to add to help folks, encourage and motivate. At present, it feels that it will get seen, read ... like this thread ... and then lost forever with no way to resurrect it.

Drop all supplements including protein. They are not regulated and can cause gynecomastia.

I would suggest using this program developed by HC graduate and Omaha resident. Everything you need for a fair price. He suggest the paleo diet approach. and the base is 3 day a week/full body workouts, around 45 minutes each, 12 cycles, 1 week off out of 4. Buy the book for more info.

http://www.travisstoetzel.com/

Hmmm...Don't think I had ever seen this thread before now.

Some of you know my story from another thread. I am around 45 years old and a year ago decided I needed to get back into shape. I had major back problems and I had started noticing it was harder to do certain things simply because I was over weight. I actually one day ended up in the doctor's office with an EKG machine hooked up to me because I was so out of shape that for a couple days I was having pain in my chest.

It ended up that it was simply because I was fat and out of shape. But, it was enough to change what I was doing.

When I started, I weighed 247. This morning I weighed myself at 194. I am around 6'3".

Most of that weight loss was in 3 months. I have gone through short periods in my life where I lifted weights. Probably the best shape I had been in before now was when I was 30 I ran a few triathlons (short ones).

At my age now, I have absolutely no desire to lift weights. I am way past the point in my life that I think I need to be ripped. I know everyone says I should. I just don't want to. So, I am all into cardio and watch what I eat very carefully. I will work out 30-60 minutes 3-5 days a week. Most of it is running but I also work in biking and elliptical machines. If I do nothing but running, I get over use injuries and pain in my knees.

I would love to train for a half marathon and also work in another short triathlon but I'm not sure I have time to train that much.

Something that really helped me out losing this weight was that I had a Calorie Counter app on my phone that calculated calorie intake and how much I burned every day. The app was connected to a web site called Fat Secret. When I was losing weight, I was trying to burn 3000 calories per day and consume less than 2000. I am very careful that I eat enough protein and calories are coming from good quality foods. Doing that, I was losing 3-4 lbs per week.

Another good resource for this was a book called Body For Life. I went through that program probably 8-10 years ago and pretty much follow the nutrition part now.

Now it is all about me trying to maintain and learn what I can eat and what I can not eat to do that.

Anyway....for everyone trying to get into shape, good luck.

• Fire 1

The nail in the coffin for me a couple years ago was when i could no longer tie my shoes without springing my back and holdin my breath.

LOL...been there...done that...

And....that sucks.

So, I have actually gone from that point to the fact that I actually water skied for the first time in about 20 years last summer. Man I feel better.