For any fitness fanatics on this message board

Hmmm...Don't think I had ever seen this thread before now.

Some of you know my story from another thread. I am around 45 years old and a year ago decided I needed to get back into shape. I had major back problems and I had started noticing it was harder to do certain things simply because I was over weight. I actually one day ended up in the doctor's office with an EKG machine hooked up to me because I was so out of shape that for a couple days I was having pain in my chest.

It ended up that it was simply because I was fat and out of shape. But, it was enough to change what I was doing.

When I started, I weighed 247. This morning I weighed myself at 194. I am around 6'3".

Most of that weight loss was in 3 months. I have gone through short periods in my life where I lifted weights. Probably the best shape I had been in before now was when I was 30 I ran a few triathlons (short ones).

At my age now, I have absolutely no desire to lift weights. I am way past the point in my life that I think I need to be ripped. I know everyone says I should. I just don't want to. So, I am all into cardio and watch what I eat very carefully. I will work out 30-60 minutes 3-5 days a week. Most of it is running but I also work in biking and elliptical machines. If I do nothing but running, I get over use injuries and pain in my knees.

I would love to train for a half marathon and also work in another short triathlon but I'm not sure I have time to train that much.

Something that really helped me out losing this weight was that I had a Calorie Counter app on my phone that calculated calorie intake and how much I burned every day. The app was connected to a web site called Fat Secret. When I was losing weight, I was trying to burn 3000 calories per day and consume less than 2000. I am very careful that I eat enough protein and calories are coming from good quality foods. Doing that, I was losing 3-4 lbs per week.

Another good resource for this was a book called Body For Life. I went through that program probably 8-10 years ago and pretty much follow the nutrition part now.

Now it is all about me trying to maintain and learn what I can eat and what I can not eat to do that.

Anyway....for everyone trying to get into shape, good luck.

That's a great story, man. That's not sarcasm btw. Congrats and well done!

My story goes a little like this: During my sophomore year of college, I ballooned up to about 260 pounds. I would eat Burger King or a huge plate of nachos smothered in cheese for every single meal. I wasn't out of shape, just fat. Once summer came, I got a job that required me to do a physical aptitude test. I had a hard time doing situps because my top half was so heavy. So from that point, I decided it was time to get into shape. I started eating healthier and sprung at every opportunity to go throw the football around, play basketball, and water sports. When I would go play frisbee golf, I would run to retrieve the disc.

I transferred schools starting my Jr. year and typically spent 2-3 hours a day at the rec center playing basketball. I got down to around 215 pounds and decided to start lifting weights. The following summer I got a gym membership and lifted 4-5 times a week and have kept that routine for the past 2 years. I am currently at around 200 and under 20% body fat. Still a little ways to go, but I feel good about where I'm at physically.

I still lift as much as possible, usually try to get into the weight room 3-5 times a week if my schedule allows it. I also play pick-up basketball at my old high school on Wednesday nights for about 2 hours straight and mix in some basketball before and after lifting weights just trying to keep my footwork and shooting fundamentals fresh and familiar. Overall, I've probably lost 75-80 pounds of fat over the last 2 years and added the difference in muscle mass.

My story goes a little like this: During my sophomore year of college, I ballooned up to about 260 pounds. I would eat Burger King or a huge plate of nachos smothered in cheese for every single meal. I wasn't out of shape, just fat. Once summer came, I got a job that required me to do a physical aptitude test. I had a hard time doing situps because my top half was so heavy. So from that point, I decided it was time to get into shape. I started eating healthier and sprung at every opportunity to go throw the football around, play basketball, and water sports. When I would go play frisbee golf, I would run to retrieve the disc.

I transferred schools starting my Jr. year and typically spent 2-3 hours a day at the rec center playing basketball. I got down to around 215 pounds and decided to start lifting weights. The following summer I got a gym membership and lifted 4-5 times a week and have kept that routine for the past 2 years. I am currently at around 200 and under 20% body fat. Still a little ways to go, but I feel good about where I'm at physically.

I still lift as much as possible, usually try to get into the weight room 3-5 times a week if my schedule allows it. I also play pick-up basketball at my old high school on Wednesday nights for about 2 hours straight and mix in some basketball before and after lifting weights just trying to keep my footwork and shooting fundamentals fresh and familiar. Overall, I've probably lost 75-80 pounds of fat over the last 2 years and added the difference in muscle mass.

Very Impressive story. Congrats.

I'm not much of a lifter, once a week at best, but I run quite a lot. I do a fair amount 5K's, 10K's, 1/2 marathons, and even one full marathon last year, but mostly I just run with the dog. Beats up the body quite a bit, but there is no better cardio workout for me. As I once read: "Running hurts, the sort of hurt that can be overcome only by the purest strains of self-interest, by vicious things like vanity and fear. "

As I once read: "Running hurts, the sort of hurt that can be overcome only by the purest strains of self-interest, by vicious things like vanity and fear. "

I have always said that there have been times when I really didn't want to go for a run. But, there has never been a time when, once done, I wished I hadn't. I always feel fantastic after a run.

As I once read: "Running hurts, the sort of hurt that can be overcome only by the purest strains of self-interest, by vicious things like vanity and fear. "

I have always said that there have been times when I really didn't want to go for a run. But, there has never been a time when, once done, I wished I hadn't. I always feel fantastic after a run.

Ha, during my marathon training, after 20 mile training runs, I wished I hadn't for at least an hour. Then I got over it. I think I only continued because I love physically challenging my body. That said, I don't think I'll ever do a marathon again. Training was far too time consuming, and it really made me dread running by the end.

Crossfit + Olympic Lifts + Sprints + Body weight Exercises

End thread

Do you actually do crossfit?

Yes...and Olympic lifts, and sprints, and bodyweight exercises...amongst other things

Does it actually work? I've read articles about Crossfit, and alot of trainers seem to think it does more harm than good. Not flaming, just asking your opinion.

End thread

Yes...and Olympic lifts, and sprints, and bodyweight exercises...amongst other things

Does it actually work? I've read articles about Crossfit, and alot of trainers seem to think it does more harm than good. Not flaming, just asking your opinion.

Ok, this is what I normally tell people:

A lot of the Crossfit marketing shows these old people, fat "video game" kids, or out of shape people hitting the Crossfit box and getting in better shape very quickly. I agree that any movement/activity is going to be better for people in these categories, but I definitely see the potential for danger in these situations. You're doing complicated movements, complicated lifts, and are oftentimes working at a pace that your body is nowhere near accustomed to.

On the other hand, I've been lifting, running, competing in fitness events, competing in sports, etc. for over 15 years. I've received coaching on the lifts (prior to starting CF on Olympic and Power movements) and I know my limits (both when I can do more and when something is hurting me). To someone with this background, I think CF is appropriate and there isn't much to be worried about.

Why I do it? The workouts are a lot more intense than what I had previously done (save for some 2-a-day conditioning) and I have decreased my body fat to the lowest level that it has ever been (got below 10 this past summer, bulked up over the past few months and am now cutting back). As I get older, I have less opportunities to be "competitive" and CG definitely fosters a competitive fitness spirit. Guys who are fit, but aren't competing anymore generally agree with this sentiment. Also, Crossfit girls (like, the ones who are good at it) may have the sexiest bodies of all.

I wouldn't JUST do CF workouts, though. Sometimes the WOD takes, like, 5 minutes, so you really need to supplement it with other exercises/movements as well.

• Fire 1

End thread

Ok, this is what I normally tell people:

A lot of the Crossfit marketing shows these old people, fat "video game" kids, or out of shape people hitting the Crossfit box and getting in better shape very quickly. I agree that any movement/activity is going to be better for people in these categories, but I definitely see the potential for danger in these situations. You're doing complicated movements, complicated lifts, and are oftentimes working at a pace that your body is nowhere near accustomed to.

On the other hand, I've been lifting, running, competing in fitness events, competing in sports, etc. for over 15 years. I've received coaching on the lifts (prior to starting CF on Olympic and Power movements) and I know my limits (both when I can do more and when something is hurting me). To someone with this background, I think CF is appropriate and there isn't much to be worried about.

Why I do it? The workouts are a lot more intense than what I had previously done (save for some 2-a-day conditioning) and I have decreased my body fat to the lowest level that it has ever been (got below 10 this past summer, bulked up over the past few months and am now cutting back). As I get older, I have less opportunities to be "competitive" and CG definitely fosters a competitive fitness spirit. Guys who are fit, but aren't competing anymore generally agree with this sentiment. Also, Crossfit girls (like, the ones who are good at it) may have the sexiest bodies of all.

I wouldn't JUST do CF workouts, though. Sometimes the WOD takes, like, 5 minutes, so you really need to supplement it with other exercises/movements as well.

Really good description.

And the bolded, I like me some Camille Leblanc-Bazinet.

Crossfit? Sorry, don't lie to me, that's NOT a pullup.

I agree and I never kip on any movement. Full arm extension, dead hang pullups for me.

I have been doing crossfit (at home when i have the right equipment) for awhile now......pullups are honestly the biggest pain in the ass for me.....dont know why....deadlifts are fine, clean and jerks are fine, burpees are fine, but pullups make me feel like a beyotch