Bo on the Sidelines

It adds to the discussion to equate a football coach reacting to BS calls to spousal abuse? There is a lot of room for criticism for Pelini and he makes it easy on people without having to go so far overboard in your comparison that you end up looking silly.

If you had read, I wasn't equating his outbursts to a man beating his wife. That's your words. I was equating a fan's use of passion as an excuse for Pelini's outburts, to a wife's use of love as a reason for her tolerance of abuse. Do you see it as much different? Both are slightly delusional, both twist the reality behind the event. The seriousness of the event is irrelevent.

A bit of passion and even some fiery words--if it doesn't go too far--can help get everyone else fired up and into the moment. But when a guy gets all reactionary and hot headed it just doesn't add much to the situation. I'm talking about this thread, not Bo.

It adds to the discussion to equate a football coach reacting to BS calls to spousal abuse? There is a lot of room for criticism for Pelini and he makes it easy on people without having to go so far overboard in your comparison that you end up looking silly.

If you had read, I wasn't equating his outbursts to a man beating his wife. That's your words. I was equating a fan's use of passion as an excuse for Pelini's outburts, to a wife's use of love as a reason for her tolerance of abuse. Do you see it as much different? Both are slightly delusional, both twist the reality behind the event. The seriousness of the event is irrelevent.

Those are the same thing in my opinion. You have a point that Bo needs to calm down on the sidelines but you ignore that he has and that this year he was a different coach than before. You are reacting as if he just had an outburst like Texas A&M or Virginia Tech when he had a really calm year. There were a lot of times we were getting screwed on calls and Pelini did nothing. That doesn't seem to be making it into your equation and that makes it really hard to take you seriously.

^ he did just have an outburst similar to Virginia Tech though - and almost on par with Texas A&M...not quite at the level of Texas. I gave him plenty of credit throughout the season. I certainly thought he had calmed down. He was handling himself like a CEO each week - with Penn State being one of the higher points of his HC career from that aspect.

But the point is...after 55+ games...his last one still included and outburst as extreme as his 5th one. So while he maybe be able to make it through most of a season, he still can't make it through an entire season. And with each outburst he digs the hole deaper and deaper.

Pelini had a fresh start this year in the Big10. I think he saw that, and that's likely why we saw the outburst in the bowl game rather than in one of our conference games. He knew he was starting to get screwed over in the Big12, and he changed. But everything he gained during the season...was lost over a single blow up.

you found an article (or really a blog) in support of Bo's sideline antics? That must have taken you half the night. "A" perspective from the outside = proper subtitle. It's certainly not the predominant opinion on the matter.

i'm w/ a few of you on here - if his "passion" inspires the players, motivates them, etc...then I'm all for it. But is that when his "passion" shows? Is that the "passion" people have an issue with? Or is it the "passion" he shows when adversity kicks him in the teeth? I'm going to go w/ the latter. You can say he's showing the players he's got their back - but that can be simply done w/ a quick "wasn't your fault kid" comment on the sidelines.

Unfortunately Bo's "passion" we discuss is rarely on display when we're winning, or leading a comeback drive, or just had a great defensive stand. No, this "passion" everyone supports is shown time and again after a bad call. This "passion" is rarely directed at players but instead the refs. Is he trying to motivate the refs too? This "passion" is also reserved for the media. In fact, this "passion" isn't passion at all - it's and emotional roller coaster that falls somewhere between anger and rage. Don't confuse that "passion" for the passion he shows towards his players. They are not one in the same. No one has a problem w/ passion - but some of us have a problem w/ Bo's sideline antics.

Calling it passion is excusing his issues, much in the same way calling it love is the way a wife excuses her husband's occasional beatings.

Bo getting pissed off at refs is in the same ballpark as an abused wife justifying spouse abuse. Way to go full retard, man.

I read so many things on here that yell lack of perspective, but this is just :facepalm: . I understand the point you're trying to make, but man are you way off in your effort. Same ballpark? I wouldnt call it the same country.

Anyway..

People want to criticize his behavior and so on and use it as an excuse (not a reason, and EXCUSE) for why this team is getting beat or things turn south. Here's some numbers. So many were so riled up after the bowl loss about us being 10-7 in our last 17 games. But think about this. Everybody knows Bo has tuned it down subtantially after the A&M game last year, and that's when this little skid began. Before that? We won 15 of 17, with Bo supposedly in excessive maniac mode. So it can be suggested that the team is better of with Bo acting the way he used to on an overall basis.

• Fire 1

His bowl game referee chewing wasn't as bad as people are saying. If you think so then we're just going to have to agree to disagree. If you think he lost everything in one angry reaction to some really bad calls, you were never going to see it any different.

He lost me. I was a Bo supporter (still am in other regards), one of those people that thought he'd changed (or could change). I was seeing it different 10 weeks ago. I excused his behavior as passion. Tollerated it with the wins. Defended him as best I could. Not any more. He has no excuse IMO. It's not acceptable. It needs to change. It can't happen - and we can't be successful so long as it continues to. The margin for error is just too small. When you're a 25ish ranked team you can still get your 9 wins w/ that going against you. When you're a top 5 team...that might be the margin of difference in a game.

Now, don't confuse my opinion of this aspect of Bo...with my opinion of his coaching ability or fit for this program. I support Bo there, I want him to be here. I dont' agree w/ some of his staff decisions, and am strongly against his sideline tirades. But I like the guy as our coach. I just don't like being embarassed he's our coach once or twice a season.

I read so many things on here that yell lack of perspective, but this is just :facepalm: . I understand the point you're trying to make, but man are you way off in your effort. Same ballpark? I wouldnt call it the same country

I knew plenty would disagree w/ me in regards to that. But honestly, what's the difference? Both are ways we excuse unacceptable behavior in an effort to make it acceptable to us.

Long time lurker, first time poster but I'll give my 2 cents. I've done a some reffing in the day, and never had much problem with a coach giving constructive criticism, but when it was over-the-top it took a toll on that coaches team. For the most part I would call what Bo does constructive criticism, with a few occasional over-the-top moments. It's always in those times he is hurting the team i.e. (Texas A&M and Capital One Bowl). I also agree with Clayton the original writer from Colorado. I think a lot of us forget how bad things were when Billy C. was on the sideline. I for one would rather have it how it is now ( with the occasional over-the-top moment) than the Callahan Era, I at least feel like we can "win" with Bo at the end I never felt that way with Billy C.

His bowl game referee chewing wasn't as bad as people are saying. If you think so then we're just going to have to agree to disagree. If you think he lost everything in one angry reaction to some really bad calls, you were never going to see it any different.

He lost me. I was a Bo supporter (still am in other regards), one of those people that thought he'd changed (or could change). I was seeing it different 10 weeks ago. I excused his behavior as passion. Tollerated it with the wins. Defended him as best I could. Not any more. He has no excuse IMO. It's not acceptable. It needs to change. It can't happen - and we can't be successful so long as it continues to. The margin for error is just too small. When you're a 25ish ranked team you can still get your 9 wins w/ that going against you. When you're a top 5 team...that might be the margin of difference in a game.

Now, don't confuse my opinion of this aspect of Bo...with my opinion of his coaching ability or fit for this program. I support Bo there, I want him to be here. I dont' agree w/ some of his staff decisions, and am strongly against his sideline tirades. But I like the guy as our coach. I just don't like being embarassed he's our coach once or twice a season.

Nick Saban does it and just won the championship. We are only having this discussion because we lost the bowl game. That is the perspective everyone lacks in the last few weeks. If we win that game we're not in panic mode not in blame everybody mode not in the world is coming to an end mode. You say Bo needs to change and he has changed. Instead of seventy explosions he had ten this year. But since we lost the game he exploded in last we get all the outrageousness of posts like these.

you found an article (or really a blog) in support of Bo's sideline antics? That must have taken you half the night. "A" perspective from the outside = proper subtitle. It's certainly not the predominant opinion on the matter.

i'm w/ a few of you on here - if his "passion" inspires the players, motivates them, etc...then I'm all for it. But is that when his "passion" shows? Is that the "passion" people have an issue with? Or is it the "passion" he shows when adversity kicks him in the teeth? I'm going to go w/ the latter. You can say he's showing the players he's got their back - but that can be simply done w/ a quick "wasn't your fault kid" comment on the sidelines.

Unfortunately Bo's "passion" we discuss is rarely on display when we're winning, or leading a comeback drive, or just had a great defensive stand. No, this "passion" everyone supports is shown time and again after a bad call. This "passion" is rarely directed at players but instead the refs. Is he trying to motivate the refs too? This "passion" is also reserved for the media. In fact, this "passion" isn't passion at all - it's and emotional roller coaster that falls somewhere between anger and rage. Don't confuse that "passion" for the passion he shows towards his players. They are not one in the same. No one has a problem w/ passion - but some of us have a problem w/ Bo's sideline antics.

Calling it passion is excusing his issues, much in the same way calling it love is the way a wife excuses her husband's occasional beatings.

Bo getting pissed off at refs is in the same ballpark as an abused wife justifying spouse abuse. Way to go full retard, man.

I read so many things on here that yell lack of perspective, but this is just :facepalm: . I understand the point you're trying to make, but man are you way off in your effort. Same ballpark? I wouldnt call it the same country.

Anyway..

People want to criticize his behavior and so on and use it as an excuse (not a reason, and EXCUSE) for why this team is getting beat or things turn south. Here's some numbers. So many were so riled up after the bowl loss about us being 10-7 in our last 17 games. But think about this. Everybody knows Bo has tuned it down subtantially after the A&M game last year, and that's when this little skid began. Before that? We won 15 of 17, with Bo supposedly in excessive maniac mode. So it can be suggested that the team is better of with Bo acting the way he used to on an overall basis.

I don't think you meant to quote me did you? It seems like you're talking to kchusker-chris not me.

Nick Saban does it and just won the championship. We are only having this discussion because we lost the bowl game. That is the perspective everyone lacks in the last few weeks. If we win that game we're not in panic mode not in blame everybody mode not in the world is coming to an end mode. You say Bo needs to change and he has changed. Instead of seventy explosions he had ten this year. But since we lost the game he exploded in last we get all the outrageousness of posts like these.

I'm sorry - win/lose I am not going to excuse the behavior anymore. I was yelling at the TV while it was happening - before we'd lost the game. It's just no right to me. It's wasted effort. Pointless. Detrimental. I just can't agree with it. Maybe some can. I crossed that point sometime during the SC game.