New Arena Student Seating Behind the Benches?

I love this idea. I really think Nebrasketball could become respectable. The state is willing to support this team...

In a couple of years, some University of Nebraska-Lincoln students will sit about 8 feet behind the likes of Tom Izzo, Bo Ryan and Thad Matta.

They'll be able to better welcome opposing basketball players who've fouled out with the traditional "Left, right, left, right, SIT DOWN!" chant.

More Here: http://huskerextra.c...d829cd82ea.html

• Fire 1

^^ Hopefully we're moving that way. Which is what we need to do. Make Memorial Stadium a feared, intimidating place to play! Not a kindly environment.

How would you do that.............?? (Given the high priority given to donor seating).....................

^^ Hopefully we're moving that way. Which is what we need to do. Make Memorial Stadium a feared, intimidating place to play! Not a kindly environment.

How would you do that.............?? (Given the high priority given to donor seating).....................

How would I do it? Me? Well, I would allocate the bottom 5 or 6 rows all around the stadium to students. What would that be, about 3,000 seats or so? The seats down there are too low to have a *great* view, but would have the most impact on noise. Of course that would not be nearly enough seats for all the students. So I'd sell them to the first who applied. Hopefully the most zealous students would make the effort to apply early. And make a lot of noise in their seats next tot the field.

How would I do it? Me? Well, I would allocate the bottom 5 or 6 rows all around the stadium to students. What would that be, about 3,000 seats or so? The seats down there are too low to have a *great* view, but would have the most impact on noise. Of course that would not be nearly enough seats for all the students. So I'd sell them to the first who applied. Hopefully the most zealous students would make the effort to apply early. And make a lot of noise in their seats next tot the field.

I like it.............and you are correct that those seats are not great viewing angles because the teams stand up..............so Big Donors shouldn't be displaced............

The only downside is they have moved away from the original plan to have close proximity standing students on 3 sides.................

This is what smells fishy to me. Why is it a benefit to students to have two sides instead of three? If you really want it intimidating, the students sit at the bottom of all four sides. Instead it sounds like they are opting for the big boosters to get the NBA feel of having the prime front court seats opposite of the benches. The article is nothing but window dressing on how they are covering up that they are moving student seating to a lesser location.

The only downside is they have moved away from the original plan to have close proximity standing students on 3 sides.................

This is what smells fishy to me. Why is it a benefit to students to have two sides instead of three? If you really want it intimidating, the students sit at the bottom of all four sides. Instead it sounds like they are opting for the big boosters to get the NBA feel of having the prime front court seats opposite of the benches. The article is nothing but window dressing on how they are covering up that they are moving student seating to a lesser location.

Bingo...........

Just like when a local TV station interviewed one student when they moved the football student section last time. She said how the students would have a much better view being up in the southeast corner than being directly behind the south endzone. Seriously. And they played it off like her opinion represented that of the entire student body.

• 3 weeks later...

First, the Red Zone hasn't shown that they deserve preferred seating. Seems like a small group, and not usually a big factor in any game. Second the product on the floor needs to be seriously upgraded so that the small student section has something to get excited about.

I've sat behind the visitors' bench and there's some big contributor type guys who really give it to the visiting team and coaches.

Why can't we be feared *and* kindly? They're not mutually exclusive, you know.

And yes, the students need to be moved down closer to the field--preferably either at the bottom of one end zone, or the bottom rows around the field. In reality, the former is more likely than the later.