How has the Marine Urination fiasco missed Huskerboard?

No one, and I'll repeat no one on this thread who has stated their opinion which magically happen to be different from yours [i know, impossible to fathom, because everyone should be reasonable like you] has said they condoned these actions. No one has said they are excusable. Everyone thinks that what those Marines did was wrong.

What we're trying to argue is that these instances are common in times of war, hence the whole concept of context, which behaviors seem to attach too [if you missed it, look up a couple of posts where I give an explanation] Contexts drive a whole lot of our behaviors wether you would like to believe it or not. Does it make any action excusable? NO! But that's not the point. The point is is that it makes their actions understandable.

You're confusing understandability with condoning.

Winner winner chicken dinner....

No one, and I'll repeat no one on this thread who has stated their opinion which magically happen to be different from yours [i know, impossible to fathom, because everyone should be reasonable like you] has said they condoned these actions. No one has said they are excusable. Everyone thinks that what those Marines did was wrong.

What we're trying to argue is that these instances are common in times of war, hence the whole concept of context, which behaviors seem to attach too [if you missed it, look up a couple of posts where I give an explanation] Contexts drive a whole lot of our behaviors wether you would like to believe it or not. Does it make any action excusable? NO! But that's not the point. The point is is that it makes their actions understandable.

You're confusing understandability with condoning.

+1. You made some very good points.

1. We all agree that it was wrong.

2. Bad stuff happens in war.

3. It would have been better if they had not done this.

4. It would have been better if they had not filmed this.

Levy whatever punishment is deemed appropriate and move on.

• Fire 2

And there are countless and countless of other instances too. What about My Lai? That got it's fair share of coverage. What happened to those soldiers? I'll let you figure that out.

We are all responsible for our own actions. Nothing we do is excusable, merely understandable. Understandability doesn't make something excusable.

So you gotta look at OJ's situation. He's paying $25,000 a month in alimony, got a another man driving around in his car and xxxxing his wife in a house he's still paying the mortgage on. Now I'm not saying he should have killed her... but I understand.

better for who? for us in the short term maybe.

Better for our forces in Afghanistan.

Listen, this is wrong but I'm not shocked that it happened. Recording it so that it can find its way into the hands of the people we are trying to win over is just idiotic.

And there are countless and countless of other instances too. What about My Lai? That got it's fair share of coverage. What happened to those soldiers? I'll let you figure that out.

We are all responsible for our own actions. Nothing we do is excusable, merely understandable. Understandability doesn't make something excusable.

So you gotta look at OJ's situation. He's paying $25,000 a month in alimony, got a another man driving around in his car and xxxxing his wife in a house he's still paying the mortgage on. Now I'm not saying he should have killed her... but I understand.

Exactly! I'm glad you finally understand the point. There is hope after all!

better for who? for us in the short term maybe.

Better for our forces in Afghanistan.

Listen, this is wrong but I'm not shocked that it happened. Recording it so that it can find its way into the hands of the people we are trying to win over is just idiotic.

I agree...anyone that records their crimes is stupid and it can backfire on them and the group they represent while doing it.

and i've said...just at least stay consistent w/ that logic/rationale. Like understanding why islamists students and militants took over the American Embassy in Iran in 79. Google "Iran shah 1953" ;)

and i've said...just at least stay consistent w/ that logic/rationale. Like understanding why islamists students and militants took over the American Embassy in Iran in 79. Google "Iran shah 1953" ;)

I know what happened in 1953.

Don't mince the lines between understanding and condoning, they are two separate words with two separate meanings.

I know what happened in 1953.

Don't mince the lines between understanding and condoning, they are two separate words with two separate meanings.

exactly...We both are saying they should have taken the American hostages...but we understand.

exactly...We both are saying they should have taken the American hostages...but we understand.

Exactly. Now my question to you, since you seem so eager to sarcastically toss my argument aside like it is complete crap is: were their actions justified? Were their actions approvable by the United States? By their foreign government?

Please, whatever you do, do not talk down to me. Especially when it comes to psychological mechanisms and concepts.

Exactly. Now my question to you, since you seem so eager to sarcastically toss my argument aside like it is complete crap is: were their actions justified? Were their actions approvable by the United States? By their foreign government?

Please, whatever you do, do not talk down to me. Especially when it comes to psychological mechanisms and concepts.

It seems like your new questions are changing the subject. That's fine, I just want to be clear on that before we move on.

and it wasn't sarcasm at all...I'm just finding common ground and making sure we are both consistent.