How has the Marine Urination fiasco missed Huskerboard?

It's a pretty terrible mistake, but I know what you are getting at. Disrespect like this happens all the time. But when it gets out - and they (stupidly) decided to push it out there - it becomes a scandal, a disgrace to the country, and an egregious answer that deserves harsh measures of censure in response.

We are over there trying to win hearts and minds, and then our soldiers push out video of themselves standing over the bodies of the sons, brothers, and fathers of their land, joking around and taking a whiz.

I think there is good cause for the uproar about this incident.

• Fire 1

I think there is good cause for the uproar about this incident.

Similiar to the 'uproar' that was/has been shown when Nidal Hasan murdered 13 and wounded 29 US service members? Oh wait, there hasn't been one. The media and Miltary Leadership have hung these 'kids' out to dry while pushing this most hurrendous issue under the rug.

I have never served in the military and can only imagine what it is like to make a very modest salary to put your life on the line. Pissing on those that have tried to kill you seems pretty modest compared to beheading and hanging burned bodies from a bridge.

I don't condone the behavior, but I don't understand how there is an outcry for these punishment of these boys while Nidal Hasan, and those that facilitated the Fort Hood murders, roll under the radar.

• Fire 1

image.jpg

ehhh, maybe not the best idea. But this has happened in every war since the beginning of wars. The biggest harm I see is that these images will be used to incite terrorists into retaliating. But then we'll kill them and piss on their corpses.

• Fire 1

Similiar to the 'uproar' that was/has been shown when Nidal Hasan murdered 13 and wounded 29 US service members? Oh wait, there hasn't been one.

Wasn't there a huge uproar about the Ft. Hood shooting? It was a shocking event, although I had to look up the name to make the connection. I don't know how our servicemen were 'hung out to dry'. There was a big debate over whether the act was that of a lunatic criminal, or that of a terrorist. Hasan will stand trial, and he has a good chance, I think, of facing the death penalty.

I don't condone the behavior, but I don't understand how there is an outcry for these punishment of these boys while Nidal Hasan, and those that facilitated the Fort Hood murders, roll under the radar.

I think we are really in agreement then. I don't really want to get into two separate outrageous events and judge them based on the relative outrage in public reaction, but we both do not condone the behavior here.

Also, this has definitely happened in every war ever, to reiterate, but it doesn't reflect well on our nation or its soldiers, who are braver and more honorable men than can be seen here. It's a PR disaster in a PR battle that is already difficult enough for us - and one that is vital to our foreign relations.

• Fire 2

Similiar to the 'uproar' that was/has been shown when Nidal Hasan murdered 13 and wounded 29 US service members? Oh wait, there hasn't been one.

Wasn't there a huge uproar about the Ft. Hood shooting? It was a shocking event, although I had to look up the name to make the connection. I don't know how our servicemen were 'hung out to dry'. There was a big debate over whether the act was that of a lunatic criminal, or that of a terrorist. Hasan will stand trial, and he has a good chance, I think, of facing the death penalty.

I think we are really in agreement then. I don't really want to get into two separate outrageous events and judge them based on the relative outrage in public reaction, but we both do not condone the behavior here.

Also, this has definitely happened in every war ever, to reiterate, but it doesn't reflect well on our nation or its soldiers, who are braver and more honorable men than can be seen here. It's a PR disaster in a PR battle that is already difficult enough for us - and one that is vital to our foreign relations.

+1

Personally, I think that this is war and that terrible things happen during wartime. That said, it's absolutely idiotic to give your enemy photos/videos like this. If these Marines sought to make Afghans hate us even more they have probably succeeded.

Dishonorable discharges all around. Good luck to them. I wish that they had lived up to the standards of the US military and the people that they serve.

I'm not sure whether it's PR or PC. All of the beheadings, hangings and dragging soldiers behind vehicles gets a 30 sec. spot after a Ron Paul or Obama for Prez ad. But when "our" soldiers do this "OMG, OMG, OMG" the sky is falling reaction from top govt orificials on down. Why is that?

I think Senator West from Fla. got it right. google that plz. (course he is a retired Marine so don't know much) Sorry skersfan :D

too much drama???

I agree that there is a double standard in the coverage and outcry over these types of events however, that does not excuse the behavior. These marines can't change how others react to this but they sure could've prevented it completely by not engaging in the activity and by upholding a higher standard. I agree with carlfense, dishonorable discharges all around. US Marines have to be better than 3rd world terrorists and thugs or we really need to quit putting them in these situations. It's a double standard but one we have to accept.

That's real easy to say behind the comfort of a computer thousands of miles away from the war zone but I honestly don't know how any soldier or any of us on here would react unless we had lived in their shoes. Going out every day knowing that people are doing everything in their power to try to kill you. Having your fellow soldiers blown to bits and then finally getting the chance to take out some of these guys, I don't know, if it were me, taking a wiz on them, probably wouldn't seem like too big of a deal with what my mental state would probably be.

That being said, to look from afar it was absolutely stupid, but even more stupid to have kept a recording of it. They should all be discharged and this incident should be used as a learning lessen to other soldiers of how critical the PR battle is in war as I am sure this did nothing but strengthen the enemies resolve.

That's real easy to say behind the comfort of a computer thousands of miles away from the war zone but I honestly don't know how any soldier or any of us on here would react unless we had lived in their shoes. Going out every day knowing that people are doing everything in their power to try to kill you. Having your fellow soldiers blown to bits and then finally getting the chance to take out some of these guys, I don't know, if it were me, taking a wiz on them, probably wouldn't seem like too big of a deal with what my mental state would probably be.

That being said, to look from afar it was absolutely stupid, but even more stupid to have kept a recording of it. They should all be discharged and this incident should be used as a learning lessen to other soldiers of how critical the PR battle is in war as I am sure this did nothing but strengthen the enemies resolve.

+1...........^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If these Marines sought to make Afghans hate us even more they have probably succeeded.

I'm sure this put them over the top. They were definately on their way to loving us fully. Just like all those in Iraq, Egypt and Libya are loving us right now.

Who said anything about them loving us? I think you missed the point. I'll explain it to you in more detail if necessary.

If these Marines sought to make Afghans hate us even more they have probably succeeded.

I'm sure this put them over the top. They were definately on their way to loving us fully. Just like all those in Iraq, Egypt and Libya are loving us right now.

Who said anything about them loving us? I think you missed the point. I'll explain it to you in more detail if necessary.

They hate us and they will always hate us. The argument that us 'throwing more fuel on the fire' holds no water with me. Trying to be everyones friend on the world stage is no different than real life. No one respects you and think you are a douche.

I don't how anyone could possibly argue that PC high road mentality that we currently operate under has been effective.

Why anyone cares what a 15th cenurty, women oppressing throwback culture think of Americans is beyond me. I have no doubt we would be in better shape if lady liberty threw her middle finger in the air.

No details necessary.

Not as big a deal as the media are making it out to be. Everyone seems to forget the same guys we've been fighting for the past 10 years have a penchant for beheading people and video taping it so that everyone can see it.

However, these guys have to know that some how, one of the idiots in their unit (if not themselves) is going to do something stupid, and put it up on youtube. Just have to remember we live in a media driven world where something happens, and 10 minutes later thousands of people can see it on the internet.

They hate us and they will always hate us. The argument that us 'throwing more fuel on the fire' holds no water with me. Trying to be everyones friend on the world stage is no different than real life. No one respects you and think you are a douche.

I don't how anyone could possibly argue that PC high road mentality that we currently operate under has been effective.

Why anyone cares what a 15th cenurty, women oppressing throwback culture think of Americans is beyond me. I have no doubt we would be in better shape if lady liberty threw her middle finger in the air.

No details necessary.

Do you believe that we can win in Afghanistan without winning the support of the Afghan people? Or are you just conceding that Afghanistan is a lost war?