Concerning Depth...could the defensive line need more bodies?

Fuzzy

Couldn't sleep so i decided to take a look at the updated roster for the Huskers. I am quite alarmed by a few things that i didn't really catch earlier this season.

Here is what I see after the 2012 season kicks off.

QB - 5 on roster, 1 incoming, 0 departing (Ridder will more than likely switch back to LB or TE after Armstrong gets here)

IB - 6 on roster, 3 walk-ons incoming, 1 departing (After Rex leaves, we have 4 sophomores and 2 redshirt freshmans)

FB - 3 on roster, 1 walk-on incoming, 1 departing

WR - 12 on roster, 3 incoming (2 walk-ons, LeRoy might be #4 or he could play DB), 5 recievers departing

This number concerns me a little bit. Losing 5 recievers next season may not seem like a big thing because more than likely the top 3 guys playing next year will be coming back in 2013, i just hope the injury bug doesn't hit this squad hard because if it does, we are gonna wish we took more than 1 reciever during the 2012 - 2013 recruiting class

TE - 6 on roster, 3 incoming (2 walk-ons, If I am right about A. Ridder moving to TE, that makes 7 on roster)

While we may be safe at depth for this position, i don't think i am the only one who would like the see the talent we bring to this spot be better than just walk-ons.

OL - 23 on roster (That's not a typo and its not including the long snappers), 3 incoming (2 walk-ons), 2 departing

We are legitimatlly 4 deep at every spot on the offensive line and yet fans want more offensive linemen!!!

DE - 11 on roster, 2 incoming (1 walk-on could move from TE to DE), 6 departing

This is what really caught me off guard. I'm sure Bo and JP will be hitting recruits hard when it comes to reloading the DE spot this season.

DT - 8 on roster, 0 incoming, 2 departing

LB - 13 on roster, 5 incoming (1 walk-on), 6 departing

Gotta hand it to the coaching staff for cushioning this blow next season. At least they won't be running around trying to fill shoes at the last moment.

DB - 14 on roster, 2 incoming (maybe 3 if LeRoy plays DB) 2 departing

S - 8 on roster, 0 incoming, 4 departing

K/P - 2 on roster, 1 walk-on incoming, 1 departing

Anyone on the soccer team want to try out for football?

At this point, I'm ready to trade some OL guys for some more DEs and DTs. Next recruiting class will open up more scholarships for next season, and we need to recruit heavily on the defensive line.

We will have one DT in this class, possibly 2. We get two next year and well be fine. Alot of young talent on the dline. DE needs some work, and some talent. Mcmullen should help but we need a couple more with his ability.

We will have to revisit this thread in a little over a week, when we know what our class will look like for sure. Expecting several more commits soon.

You have to consider, Atbone95, that there are players who graduate and leave the team who may have never seen a snap in their life, or saw very limited snaps. I.E. Ron Kellog Jr. I think he is gone after the 2013 season (or maybe this season - not going to look), and even though we're losing "one quarterback", it's not exactly a person of substance (no offense to him). I don't know if this is true at the safety position, or any other position, but it's something to consider. However, one could argue that depth takes a hit regardless of whether the player played or not, and I think that's a fair argument.

I think wanting "more offensive linemen" is an extension of the festering, underlying issue - the line hasn't been a bright spot over the last three years and they've been hit hard with injuries at times. Both lines need to be stocked and loaded with talent/bodies every year.

You have to consider, Atbone95, that there are players who graduate and leave the team who may have never seen a snap in their life, or saw very limited snaps. I.E. Ron Kellog Jr. I think he is gone after the 2013 season (or maybe this season - not going to look), and even though we're losing "one quarterback", it's not exactly a person of substance (no offense to him). I don't know if this is true at the safety position, or any other position, but it's something to consider. However, one could argue that depth takes a hit regardless of whether the player played or not, and I think that's a fair argument.

I think wanting "more offensive linemen" is an extension of the festering, underlying issue - the line hasn't been a bright spot over the last three years and they've been hit hard with injuries at times. Both lines need to be stocked and loaded with talent/bodies every year.

You are more than correct about having to take that into account, which I did. While I agree with your statement, I also think there are some problems... That is exactly our problem with the secondary. We're losing our starters + people who have never played a snap... to more people who have never played a snap. And especially if we were to hit a patch of injuries, that's some scary depth in the defensive backfield.

Scout does a good job of showing our depth and eligibility: LINK

It does seem like we have a shortage of interior D-linemen. But we have tons of DEs on the roster.

Umm, i don't think Scout does a very good job at all with this.

Right off the bat.

IB - Ward and Okafur aren't on the team anymore.

WR - Kildow plays baseball now, Baptiste, Bell and Davie are DBs.

TE - Kerr is no longer on the team and Eddie Ridder is missing.

DL - They forgot Thaddeus Randle and Jeff Uher, and i don't know who Nathaniel Allen is but he isn't on the Husker roster.

DE - When did Spencer Long start playing defensive end?

LB - Mitch Hron and Tyson McGill haven't been with the team since the start of the 2011 season. There are 5 current LBs that aren't on that list.

CB/S - Bart is no longer with the team and Stafford is missing.

I count over 15 errors with that roster from Scout.com. I'm need for a job, maybe they can hire me to fix it.