Tommy Armstrong

mwj98

So, that begs the question as to who starts whenever Martinez leaves or is beat out - Carnes or Armstrong?

Tommy has not even set foot on campus, but I will tell you that I think he will come in and be a force.

He is the type of kid that is perfect for Tim Beck's spread. I like Carnes' game, but I really think Tommy has the opportunity to be a 3 year starter if he is allowed to redshirt. Which he better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He'll probably play 3 minutes vs. no one, burning the redshirt, and you'll never hear about him again...well...unless players are allowed to make calls from the doghouse. Seriously, hope you're right.

Over the last few years, I've lowered my expectations for quarterback play here. I hoped Lee would do really well - he didn't. I hoped Green would turn out - he didn't. I just try to go into it with a more open mind and hope for the best.

Unfortunately...a lot of fans are doing that not just for QB's...but for the team in general. Not good.

a great offensive line sure wouldn't improve his mechanics, which are horrible, but he might run the ball a bit farther.

I agree, but I'm not saying they would. A better offensive line would be more consistent in the running game and give him better pass pro. It may not help his mechanical issues, but giving him everything else he needs would be a step in the right direction.

Over the last few years, I've lowered my expectations for quarterback play here. I hoped Lee would do really well - he didn't. I hoped Green would turn out - he didn't. I just try to go into it with a more open mind and hope for the best.

Unfortunately...a lot of fans are doing that not just for QB's...but for the team in general. Not good.

Lowering my expectations is a bad way to put it. I expect a Nebraska quarterback to be very good, as they play for Nebraska. But, a better way to say it is I've lowered my 'care level'. I don't get as invested in the team as much as I used to, because it turned me into a guy who was no fun to be around after we lost or if we were playing poorly.

a great offensive line sure wouldn't improve his mechanics, which are horrible, but he might run the ball a bit farther.

I agree, but I'm not saying they would. A better offensive line would be more consistent in the running game and give him better pass pro. It may not help his mechanical issues, but giving him everything else he needs would be a step in the right direction.

Lowering my expectations is a bad way to put it. I expect a Nebraska quarterback to be very good, as they play for Nebraska. But, a better way to say it is I've lowered my 'care level'. I don't get as invested in the team as much as I used to, because it turned me into a guy who was no fun to be around after we lost or if we were playing poorly.

I hear ya on that...sports are meant to be fun...especially on an amateur level. But watching some games lately, I question whether or not players are having as little fun playing as I am watching. That's not really fair to them, I can't pretend to know what's going on in their heads...but it is concerning at times.

Looking back at games in the 90's...it sucked to see Nebraska lose...but the games were fun to watch. You just didn't see a team lose because of a lack of fire, or competitiveness. Just off the top of my head I've seen that happen at least once every season for the last few years.

Not that I disagree with anything mentioned above, because most everything seems to be on the same page as me...but more food for thought..

1. Name the last season that NU had a great OL. We have had a few guys go to NFL , but never really have had an entire group who dominated like

the OL's of the top tier teams. This is a key factor on QB.... If you can't consistantly set your feet or find a pocket...it isn't easy

2. I can name a "few" good WR (Swift,.... chirp, chirp, chirp)..... I know that Nunn and others had "moments", but when you compare them to the WR

corps of other teams, we just haven't stacked up. Again, making it more difficult for the QB.

- I agree, everytime we get a guy who we all hope will be the next real deal, it hasn't happened, but there are a lot of factors.

Damn straight.

2001 was our last great Oline & we've been average "at best" there since. Frequently wayyyyy below average. Our WRs since 2008 with Swift & Peterson has become extremely efficient pass dropping machines. Some of them couldn't block an average sized munchkin or even remember their routes.

But so what? It's all our qb's fault and If you don't believe it, just ask any internet genius. They'll be glad to share their overwhelming knowledge.

• Fire 1

Call me a cynic, but I will reserve judgement on Armstrong until he plays. How many times in the past decade have we recruited the next Frazier? If I had a dollar for everytime I've been told we got the next Frazier, I'd be retired by now. The best QB's we've had the last ten years were guys nobody really even mentioned or were hyped about (Ganz and Taylor).

So, that begs the question as to who starts whenever Martinez leaves or is beat out - Carnes or Armstrong?

Tommy has not even set foot on campus, but I will tell you that I think he will come in and be a force.

He is the type of kid that is perfect for Tim Beck's spread. I like Carnes' game, but I really think Tommy has the opportunity to be a 3 year starter if he is allowed to redshirt. Which he better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, he had really better redshirt. I don't know what this "Beck told him he won't redshirt" stuff is, but I hope it's some empty promise sweet-talk, or not true at all.

Enhance, in your example I would definitely take Luck with our OL, which wasn't really disastrous last year either, even if it wasn't elite. I suppose we'll see how Stanford's succession plan at QB goes.

Not elite? Haha....geesh zoogies.

When the mighty NW's 80th ranked defense (84th ranked rushing defense) holds us to a grand total of 122 yds rushing (in Lincoln!), yeah.....they're probably not "elite".

I'll take Bama's Oline, thanks. It took me about 3 nano-seconds for that decision.

I hear ya on that...sports are meant to be fun...especially on an amateur level. But watching some games lately, I question whether or not players are having as little fun playing as I am watching. That's not really fair to them, I can't pretend to know what's going on in their heads...but it is concerning at times.

Looking back at games in the 90's...it sucked to see Nebraska lose...but the games were fun to watch. You just didn't see a team lose because of a lack of fire, or competitiveness. Just off the top of my head I've seen that happen at least once every season for the last few years.

The way that I would put my feelings towards this season is that I was very happy with the way we played at times this season. But I was not satisfied. There is a very clear difference.

What I have said that needs to happen for Bo and NU to turn a corner is the let down games need to stop. NorthWestern is a prime example and Michigan as well. Neither team was better than us. We just flat out did not get off the bus.