Tommy Armstrong

mwj98

The coaching staff at Nebraska are never looking for a "real" QB, they just want a good athlete that they can plug in. I have given up on any hope that we will ever have another QB that is actually drafted by the NFL as a QB. I had that hope with the promises that BC brought with him and how he was going to change the offense, but it never happened then. And now with what I see this coaching staff doing with the position of QB, I don't see it happening with a Pelini OC again.

Was it just me, or did he only score once...on a highlight reel?!

Read this morning in the Omaha World-Herald that the staff just realized that. The "word" is that they will be releasing Tommy from his scholarship. Guess we got a QB who will walk on that passed for a couple more TD's (Fyfe)

:-)

The coaching staff at Nebraska are never looking for a "real" QB, they just want a good athlete that they can plug in. I have given up on any hope that we will ever have another QB that is actually drafted by the NFL as a QB. I had that hope with the promises that BC brought with him and how he was going to change the offense, but it never happened then. And now with what I see this coaching staff doing with the position of QB, I don't see it happening with a Pelini OC again.

Couple of thoughts ... don't we have to take away atleast four National Championships if we want this. There are a couple of QB's that were committed to us in the past few years at one point that play in the NFL ... interesting. Finally, looks like Scam Newton did pretty good in the NFL and I like what R3G has done. I wanted him here at Nebraska. I think he will do fine in the NFL. Those type of QB's seem to be making a place in college and the pros.

I'll hold out hope ... Nebraska has done just fine with the QB's we won with. It's the "traditional" Husker football we need to get back to executing ... and I believe it's being restored a bit at a time.

I'll certainly remain optimistic with what we have in TA and Carnes. They still have a couple of years to develop before even hitting the field.

I'll certainly remain optimistic with what we have in TA and Carnes. They still have a couple of years to develop before even hitting the field.

We still have 2 years left for TM as well. If our O-line can improve it's play, as well as our receivers catching the ball with more consistency, TM is going to have a big year in 2012.

I reallly don't get the logic behind the Tommie Frazier comparisons or the next Tommie talk. Tommie would have been good at the zone read option game yes. But, as far as where Bo and Beck want the O to go he would not have been the man. He was as bad or more than likely worse than T-Mart in the passing game. He was a Great QB for us and a legend because he fit the O we were in at the time through in through. It is just not a fair comparison for either side IMO.

I reallly don't get the logic behind the Tommie Frazier comparisons or the next Tommie talk. Tommie would have been good at the zone read option game yes. But, as far as where Bo and Beck want the O to go he would not have been the man. He was as bad or more than likely worse than T-Mart in the passing game. He was a Great QB for us and a legend because he fit the O we were in at the time through in through. It is just not a fair comparison for either side IMO.

Because that's what people do. He's black, his first name is Tommy, he's a dual threat and he has a lot of potential.

Because that's what people do. He's black, his first name is Tommy, he's a dual threat and he has a lot of potential.

I am not important enough to have to quote me twice:)

Yeah I realize that people do that but it still drives me crazy. I do hope he has the successes and more though as Tommie F.

I am not important enough to have to quote me twice:)

Yeah I realize that people do that but it still drives me crazy. I do hope he has the successes and more though as Tommie F.

It drives me absolutely crazy, too. Over the years, I've noticed how common these kinds of things are. Black athletes are always compared to black athletes, white athletes are always compared to white athletes, etc. Always might be too strong of a word, but I see it happen a lot. I have been guilty of it in the past, too. I haven't seen anybody compare Tommy Armstrong to Frazier, although, I'd be surprised if somebody hadn't yet.

The biggest problem with player comparisons is that they almost always fall flat on their face. It's possible Armstrong sits on the bench his entire career, it's possible he doesn't. It's possible he beats Martinez out this year, it's possible Carnes does. The sooner people realize that things will just have to work themselves out on their own, the happier they will be.

"Tommy is the catalyst for everything you do," John Papuchis told a donor group last Friday. "We felt there were about four quarterbacks who fit our system, and Coach Beck and all the rest of us feel very fortunate to get Tommy on our football team. Beyond being extremely talented, he's a leader, he's good person and I can envision him coming in here and eventually taking over the reins."

Even head coach Bo Pelini went out of his way to praise Armstrong's talent, his leadership and his will to win. "He can do a lot of different things with the ball, but what we're really excited about is the type of leader he is, the type of command he has in the huddle and the type of person that we're getting," Pelini said. "He's everything we thought we were going to get. We thought he was good when we offered him, but we grew to like him even more. The more we were around him, the more we got to know him. The more we watched him play through his senior year, the more excited I got, and I know everyone else on our staff shares those same thoughts."

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=1&SPID=22&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205375935&DB_OEM_ID=100

yeah, forget about winning we need an NFL QB- I'm sure Alabama fans are saying that too

Well, so very, very sad that NU isn't a NFL minor league team. Gill, Crouch, Frazier, etc.....all they did was win games but they never played qb in the NFL. TO & Bo are both sooooooo stupid for wanting "real" wins more than a "real" NFL qb. I give up too.