Tommy Armstrong

mwj98

Hey guys,

Watch Armstrong play with Cibolo Steele for the State Championship last year. Now, he had the top rated rb in the country playing behind him, but man did he look good. This is a very good recruit! Funny thing was, as I was watching him, I wondered how he would do at Nebraska. Now we will see.

Over the last few years, I've lowered my expectations for quarterback play here. I hoped Lee would do really well - he didn't. I hoped Green would turn out - he didn't. I just try to go into it with a more open mind and hope for the best.

I could learn a lot from that. I still look at the highlight tapes of some of these kids and think man, they are gonna be amazing once they get here. What happens between then and the end of their career I don't know. I though Cody Green would be a stud. Zac Lee's community college numbers were off the charts good, then he came here and poof? I really wish I knew the reason so many of the recruits have not panned out, but you look back through the classes and it is kind of crazy how many of the names you have never heard once on gameday. I have big time hopes for this Armstrong kid, but like I said, I think I've got to start easing back my expectations on this offense. It sucks I have to do it, but the last 5-6 years, there really hasn't been any reason to get excited about Nebraska offense that's for sure. (other than Burkhead)

Over the last few years, I've lowered my expectations for quarterback play here. I hoped Lee would do really well - he didn't. I hoped Green would turn out - he didn't. I just try to go into it with a more open mind and hope for the best.

I could learn a lot from that. I still look at the highlight tapes of some of these kids and think man, they are gonna be amazing once they get here. What happens between then and the end of their career I don't know. I though Cody Green would be a stud. Zac Lee's community college numbers were off the charts good, then he came here and poof? I really wish I knew the reason so many of the recruits have not panned out, but you look back through the classes and it is kind of crazy how many of the names you have never heard once on gameday. I have big time hopes for this Armstrong kid, but like I said, I think I've got to start easing back my expectations on this offense. It sucks I have to do it, but the last 5-6 years, there really hasn't been any reason to get excited about Nebraska offense that's for sure. (other than Burkhead)

No real dedicated QB coach since Gill. It appears that a glaring issue save Ganz has been a lack of outstanding QB play. NOt bagging on Keller, Martinez, Taylor, Lee etc....., but have the guys really improved? Sadly, most were once and done save Taylor and Martinez, but IMO, I really haven't seen any "performance" improvement as the season has progressed. Using Martinez as an example, has his "play" increased or has his ability to "manage". I really, really, really hope that this staff would find a dedicated QB coach who can work one on one with our QB's. That would help tremendously.

Well, Watson was the quarterbacks coach/OC during his tenure. I don't know if that has something to do with why Lee and Green turned out poorly, but it's something to consider. I assume Watson was Ganz' quarterback coach for a time there, and Ganz turned out alright despite not having a lot of great physical tools to work with.

All I know is that I used to get way too obsessed with the Huskers, and it started in 2008 when Pelini first started here and I was a freshman in college. Since then, I've weened myself away from everything. I was just no fun to be around at Husker games, and that's no way to be a fan. Plus, I got so excited for guys like Green and Lucky, that when they turned out to be busts (relatively speaking, given their potential/star power) it was pretty enlightening. It helped me to realign my priorities and realize we don't know how anything is going to turn out as fans, so all we can do is sit and hope for the best. If Armstrong becomes great that'll be awesome, but I'm not going to think about it. Because if he doesn't, I'll just be disappointed.

No real dedicated QB coach since Gill. It appears that a glaring issue save Ganz has been a lack of outstanding QB play. NOt bagging on Keller, Martinez, Taylor, Lee etc....., but have the guys really improved? Sadly, most were once and done save Taylor and Martinez, but IMO, I really haven't seen any "performance" improvement as the season has progressed. Using Martinez as an example, has his "play" increased or has his ability to "manage". I really, really, really hope that this staff would find a dedicated QB coach who can work one on one with our QB's. That would help tremendously.

yeah, let's hire Peyton when he retires.

Well, Watson was the quarterbacks coach/OC during his tenure. I don't know if that has something to do with why Lee and Green turned out poorly, but it's something to consider. I assume Watson was Ganz' quarterback coach for a time there, and Ganz turned out alright despite not having a lot of great physical tools to work with.

All I know is that I used to get way too obsessed with the Huskers, and it started in 2008 when Pelini first started here and I was a freshman in college. Since then, I've weened myself away from everything. I was just no fun to be around at Husker games, and that's no way to be a fan. Plus, I got so excited for guys like Green and Lucky, that when they turned out to be busts (relatively speaking, given their potential/star power) it was pretty enlightening. It helped me to realign my priorities and realize we don't know how anything is going to turn out as fans, so all we can do is sit and hope for the best. If Armstrong becomes great that'll be awesome, but I'm not going to think about it. Because if he doesn't, I'll just be disappointed.

The thing that has always bugged me about Ganz was that he was so great, but only got that 1 year to show it. It always had me wondering why the hell he wasn't out there sooner. To me it has always come back to the system. Especially with Waton's system. He didn't even hide the fact that his system was complicated, and his playbook was thick. So was Ganz so good because he had 5 years studying the system? Could some of these guys have been better if we had simplified a bit? Could Taylor be a legitimate QB with the right QB coach and the right system? It's clear Tommy Armstrong has the skills, as does Brion Carnes. I'd say Tommy even looks a bit better in the passing game than Carnes. I can't help but have high hopes for this kid. He has the tools.

The thing that has always bugged me about Ganz was that he was so great, but only got that 1 year to show it. It always had me wondering why the hell he wasn't out there sooner. To me it has always come back to the system. Especially with Waton's system. He didn't even hide the fact that his system was complicated, and his playbook was thick. So was Ganz so good because he had 5 years studying the system? Could some of these guys have been better if we had simplified a bit? Could Taylor be a legitimate QB with the right QB coach and the right system? It's clear Tommy Armstrong has the skills, as does Brion Carnes. I'd say Tommy even looks a bit better in the passing game than Carnes. I can't help but have high hopes for this kid. He has the tools.

Some might disagree, but I understand why Ganz didn't play until his senior year. Taylor was older and a better play in '05 and '06, and Keller had a lot of great physical tools in '07. I have no problem with Keller transferring here and playing, because quite frankly, I probably would have chosen him over Ganz as well. Whether or not Callahan played favorites, I don't have enough info to justify an opinion, but Keller was the better choice at the time.

With the playbook, a complicated playbook is OK if players can take the time to learn and develop in it. If it takes years to get the playbook down effectively, you need to have the depth and/or time to devote. You can't do that in college because athletes have school to study for as well. Playbook aside, I just don't think Watson was a great coach. The 'system' shouldn't cause fundamental breakdowns all year like like they did in '09, and the 'system' shouldn't cause us turn the ball over almost 10 times in one game. That's just bad fundamentals and a lack of discipline, two things that are loosely connected (though not entirely) to scheme, imho.

I think Ganz was/is just a true competitor. Like every position on the field, success is made by mentality. What people tend to forget about Ganz though is that he had a bad habit of throwing INTs at inopportune times. Remember Bo's first year when we had Texas Tech in OT, they got the ball first, scored a TD, and missed the extra point or got it blocked? All we had to do was score and boot the PAT through and we had it won. Then Ganz threw a bone-headed INT.... I was so pissed after that game...

Regardless, I was/still am a fan of Joe, so please don't interpret this post like I don't like him.

• Fire 1

I think Ganz was/is just a true competitor. Like every position on the field, success is made by mentality. What people tend to forget about Ganz though is that he had a bad habit of throwing INTs at inopportune times. Remember Bo's first year when we had Texas Tech in OT, they got the ball first, scored a TD, and missed the extra point or got it blocked? All we had to do was score and boot the PAT through and we had it won. Then Ganz threw a bone-headed INT.... I was so pissed after that game...

Regardless, I was/still am a fan of Joe, so please don't interpret this post like I don't like him.

Everybody knew that Joey was good for an INT every game!

Not that I disagree with anything mentioned above, because most everything seems to be on the same page as me...but more food for thought..

1. Name the last season that NU had a great OL. We have had a few guys go to NFL , but never really have had an entire group who dominated like

the OL's of the top tier teams. This is a key factor on QB.... If you can't consistantly set your feet or find a pocket...it isn't easy

2. I can name a "few" good WR (Swift,.... chirp, chirp, chirp)..... I know that Nunn and others had "moments", but when you compare them to the WR

corps of other teams, we just haven't stacked up. Again, making it more difficult for the QB.

- I agree, everytime we get a guy who we all hope will be the next real deal, it hasn't happened, but there are a lot of factors.

Not that I disagree with anything mentioned above, because most everything seems to be on the same page as me...but more food for thought..

1. Name the last season that NU had a great OL. We have had a few guys go to NFL , but never really have had an entire group who dominated like

the OL's of the top tier teams. This is a key factor on QB.... If you can't consistantly set your feet or find a pocket...it isn't easy

2. I can name a "few" good WR (Swift,.... chirp, chirp, chirp)..... I know that Nunn and others had "moments", but when you compare them to the WR

corps of other teams, we just haven't stacked up. Again, making it more difficult for the QB.

- I agree, everytime we get a guy who we all hope will be the next real deal, it hasn't happened, but there are a lot of factors.

In response to your second point, I believe we have plenty of talent at WR....loaded in fact. They can evidently get open and block for the most part...but they need to seriously work on catching balls in key situations.