Good Job Big10...

Lonnie Utah

What I wanna know is this positive for Big Ten recruiting or negative?

Will this sway more kids to head this way or will the inability to cut kids like almost all of the SEC schools diminish our depth?

I think it's a positive. If a player doesn't work out as an athlete, I'm sure you'd always be able to switch them to an academic or other type of scholly...

People, regardless of it being beneficial or not, it's the RIGHT thing to do. This aint the crooked SEC. These kids are used enough in this sport. Some need to gain some perspective and realize that winning is not EVERYthing. This is a general opinion and is not targeted at any particular statement in this thread.

OK this will sound like I am Debbie Downer but after watching the madness of signing day (especially the hotly contested deep south area where it is 99% african americans being recruited) I can't hep but think this is a form of modern day slavery.

Yeah, remember how Kunta Kinta never used his free college degree?

Dammit I was trying to stear the conversation away from those comments.

I'm ashamed that I laughed at it. :)

A question, though--do the schools have to go 'all in' on this--that is, all scholarships are either 4 year, or they're all year-to-year?

Reason I ask is that if it's mix and match, we could see your 'blue chippers' getting four year degrees, while your 2* and 3* kids only get to sniff yearly renewals...which doesn't rub me the right way.

Its a great move by the B1G, if the rest of the conference's follow suit. Its about an education, not about the money RIght????

Tell that to ESPN, Fox and the rest of the networks. They throw Billions at the conference's, millions to schools, and some of you think that won't matter as long as the kid gets his degree. How do these conference's that are doing the right thing compete for the dollars, with these conference's who won't offer four year schollies and will start drawing all the TV ratings and the TV money, Will they still be able to offer the scollies at the rate they do now.

B1G great idea, bad timing. jmo

GBR!!!

Will this sway more kids to head this way or will the inability to cut kids like almost all of the SEC schools diminish our depth?

I think it's a positive. If a player doesn't work out as an athlete, I'm sure you'd always be able to switch them to an academic or other type of scholly...

um, no, you can't just switch kids to other scholarships...

I like this because this is basically what the B1G schools has been doing anyway, I can't remember any kids at Michigan getting "cut" because they weren't playing, now granting a kid a 5th year is different because their 4 years is up and they should have their degree by then anyway, this won't really change much for B1G teams and let's be honest, kids get in trouble and that will be the available avenue for coaches to "cut" kids who aren't really gonna contribute and are taking up a schollie if that's how they want to operate...

in the end I think this does nothing but help B1G schools come signing day...

I honestly cannot see the SEC following suit on this. Only way they do is if the NCAA forces them to.
FWIW I heard on Paul Finebaum's show today that Florida did this too.
I think I saw that Auburn is doing it as well, and surprise, surprise, Saban wants no part of it...lol

Is this where you saw it :P

FWIW I heard on Paul Finebaum's show today that Florida did this too.
Auburn (of all schools) is stating that they have as well.

This really won't kill the walk-on program if Bo keeps a couple of scholarships just for that reason. He has already said that he was going to do that this year, I really don't see much changing with this except be a bargaining chip for recruiting.

um, no, you can't just switch kids to other scholarships...

I like this because this is basically what the B1G schools has been doing anyway, I can't remember any kids at Michigan getting "cut" because they weren't playing, now granting a kid a 5th year is different because their 4 years is up and they should have their degree by then anyway, this won't really change much for B1G teams and let's be honest, kids get in trouble and that will be the available avenue for coaches to "cut" kids who aren't really gonna contribute and are taking up a schollie if that's how they want to operate...

in the end I think this does nothing but help B1G schools come signing day...

getting a degree in 4 years in unrealistic in today's age.