GOP Congressman Walks out on Obama's National Prayer Breakfast speech

Where does Obama talk about the "evil rich?" That's the point I'm making - he's not warring against the rich, he's trying to make tax levels fair. It's not a coincidence that the people who are labeling this "class warfare" are the rich and super-rich.

What is fair, how much do they have to pay to be fair? Some pay none how is it that they are paying their fair share? This drives me crazy that they somehow are cheating this country. The top1% pay 38% of federal income tax. The bottom 50% pay 3% of the fedral income tax. What are you talking about witht his fair share crap, that is Bo talking points and his class warfare. :angry:

http://www.heritage....-income-earners

That chart is misleading. The top 1% pay 38% of total taxes, but they don't pay an equal portion of taxes compared to you and I.

To wit:

If you and I earn $100 per year, and are taxed at 25%, we pay $25 in taxes. If John Smith the One-Percenter earns $1,000 per year and is taxed at 10%, he pays $100 per year. John Smith pays more in taxes, but his tax burden is lighter.

That's what Obama is trying to address. This is not "warfare" it's simple math, and simply fair. I can't see why you'd defend someone's ability to have a lower tax burden than you. Why would you do that?

• Fire 1

Where does Obama talk about the "evil rich?" That's the point I'm making - he's not warring against the rich, he's trying to make tax levels fair. It's not a coincidence that the people who are labeling this "class warfare" are the rich and super-rich.

What is fair, how much do they have to pay to be fair? Some pay none how is it that they are paying their fair share? This drives me crazy that they somehow are cheating this country. The top1% pay 38% of federal income tax. The bottom 50% pay 3% of the fedral income tax. What are you talking about witht his fair share crap, that is Bo talking points and his class warfare. :angry:

That chart is misleading. The top 1% pay 38% of total taxes, but they don't pay an equal portion of taxes compared to you and I.

And why is that? If you are referring to billionares paying 15 % in taxes that is misleading. That is for capital gains taxes, not for regular income. And the money they put into the stock market is already taxed once, you know that, right. Now, 15 % of their profits is not enough and you want more. They risk their capital, that is alot different than getting wages that are guarenteed. And the flip side is they can loose three or four hundred thousand dollars in a year. You know how much they can claim for a loss, 3,000 dollars. Now, would you be willing to take that chance with your paycheck? :ahhhhhhhh

Link

Rep. Phil Gingrey, R-Ga., left during Obama’s speech because “he was disturbed and offended by the president’s use of prayer and reflection time for partisan politics and class warfare.

During the National Prayer Breakfast speech, the president compared his economic policies to the teachings of Jesus.

“And I think to myself, if I’m willing to give something up as somebody who’s been extraordinarily blessed, and give up some of the tax breaks that I enjoy, I actually think that’s going to make economic sense,” the president said. “But for me as a Christian, it also coincides with Jesus’s teaching that ‘for unto whom much is given, much shall be required.’”

Thoughts?

I think that was rude to walk out on the POTUS even if he was using his prayer as cover for class warfare. The office deserves respect and should be given some leeway. And if he was sincere God bless him and give until his little heart is content. The only problem I would have with this is if he then says we should raise taxes. What he wants to give because of his own personal beliefs is up to him but not everyone feels the same way. He may want to give more because of his beliefs to this country but I am a little more weary. I would rather give to my church or whoever I feel needs my money. When you give to the fed. govt. they do many things with it that are against my beliefs. Planned parenthood being one of them. :thumbs

Like the Iraq war...it didnt' take long for the majority of the US to not want their tax dollars going there. Would you have been for that being defunded by tax money? How about the Afghan war?

And why is that? If you are referring to billionares paying 15 % in taxes that is misleading. That is for capital gains taxes, not for regular income. And the money they put into the stock market is already taxed once, you know that, right. Now, 15 % of their profits is not enough and you want more. They risk their capital, that is alot different than getting wages that are guarenteed. And the flip side is they can loose three or four hundred thousand dollars in a year. You know how much they can claim for a loss, 3,000 dollars. Now, would you be willing to take that chance with your paycheck?

It's not misleading, it's the law. And it's the law because the rich have lobbied heavily to make it so. So once they're in that elite category they have a far less likely chance to lose that status than you and I have of losing our middle-class status and diving into poverty.

Wages are NOT guaranteed. Nearly every state in the Union is At-Will, meaning you can be fired for little to no reason at all. Employment is not guaranteed, nor is your paycheck. You have a FAR GREATER risk of losing your job than a billionaire has of losing theirs. And when you do lose your job you're simply out of a job. There's no golden parachute waiting in the wings for you.

And why is that? If you are referring to billionares paying 15 % in taxes that is misleading. That is for capital gains taxes, not for regular income. And the money they put into the stock market is already taxed once, you know that, right. Now, 15 % of their profits is not enough and you want more. They risk their capital, that is alot different than getting wages that are guarenteed. And the flip side is they can loose three or four hundred thousand dollars in a year. You know how much they can claim for a loss, 3,000 dollars. Now, would you be willing to take that chance with your paycheck?

It's not misleading, it's the law. And it's the law because the rich have lobbied heavily to make it so. So once they're in that elite category they have a far less likely chance to lose that status than you and I have of losing our middle-class status and diving into poverty.

Wages are NOT guaranteed. Nearly every state in the Union is At-Will, meaning you can be fired for little to no reason at all. Employment is not guaranteed, nor is your paycheck. You have a FAR GREATER risk of losing your job than a billionaire has of losing theirs. And when you do lose your job you're simply out of a job. There's no golden parachute waiting in the wings for you.

Ok so let me get this straight when you go to work and get your paycheck there is a chance that you may lose some of the money you worked for that week? and that the money you do get will get taxed and if you take it home and make a little money off of it you want it to be taxed at the same rate. Am I getting this? :dunno

Link

Rep. Phil Gingrey, R-Ga., left during Obama’s speech because “he was disturbed and offended by the president’s use of prayer and reflection time for partisan politics and class warfare.

During the National Prayer Breakfast speech, the president compared his economic policies to the teachings of Jesus.

“And I think to myself, if I’m willing to give something up as somebody who’s been extraordinarily blessed, and give up some of the tax breaks that I enjoy, I actually think that’s going to make economic sense,” the president said. “But for me as a Christian, it also coincides with Jesus’s teaching that ‘for unto whom much is given, much shall be required.’”

Thoughts?

I think that was rude to walk out on the POTUS even if he was using his prayer as cover for class warfare. The office deserves respect and should be given some leeway. And if he was sincere God bless him and give until his little heart is content. The only problem I would have with this is if he then says we should raise taxes. What he wants to give because of his own personal beliefs is up to him but not everyone feels the same way. He may want to give more because of his beliefs to this country but I am a little more weary. I would rather give to my church or whoever I feel needs my money. When you give to the fed. govt. they do many things with it that are against my beliefs. Planned parenthood being one of them. :thumbs

Like the Iraq war...it didnt' take long for the majority of the US to not want their tax dollars going there. Would you have been for that being defunded by tax money? How about the Afghan war?

We went over this on the other board and you know I said I was against the Iraq war. The afghanistan war is a mess, I wouldn't have tried to nation build, at least not that country. They have been fighting since the stone age and no amount of blod,sweat, tear or time will change things. We should have been out of there once we killed as many of the taliban and Al Qaeda that we could. I say let them start to congregate in huge numgers again and get them all rather than trying to find them. You never can rid yourself of ants by killing one little one when you see it. :thumbs

We won't get sidetracked by the Hitler reference. I know your intent in saying that and it's not an issue. I think people who throw out "GODWIN'S LAW!!11!!!" have little or no point to make.

Regarding the class warfare - first, do you think this term adequately describes what's going on, or do you think it may be hyperbolic? Personally I feel there's nothing like class warfare going on. It's a Republican talking point intended to whip up the base, and it's working.

The "warfare" portion of it may be a bit of hyperbole but I don't feel there is any denying the obvious attempts at getting as many people as possible upset with the uber rich. My definition of class warfare would be; delineating a difference between groups of people (the super rich and everyone else) and then pitting them against one another through speech, talking points, and policy proposals. I think that covers what is happening very well so I don't feel it is hyperbolic. Some of the talking heads and some republicans may use the term and mis-apply it at times but I think overall it is being earned. I'm not sticking up for the rich and I do feel some things need to change to get them paying their fair share. When they can get out of paying taxes or when they pay a lower effective percentage than lower earners, I feel the blame falls on the politicians that allow it rather than on the rich who are simply taking advantage of every possible loophole and law they can. I am sure every single taxpayer would utilize the same advantages if they were able to. That is a fault of the system not the person. I feel that Obama and many democrats present it in a manner that deflects a lot of the criticism towards the rich and away from the real problem in Washington. The repubs aren't above deflecting criticism, but on this issue, it is too simple for them to not take any responsibility (of which they are equally culpable), Neither group is fixing the problem, they are only talking about it. Keeping one side ptted against the other is how they plan to get re-elected without fixing anything. That's not leadership, it's CYA.

But the rich spent millions lobbying for these tax breaks. They didn't just fall into them. They aren't just benefiting from random rules . . . they are benefiting from the rules that they supported and fought for.

Like Buffet said (probably paraphrased): "There is class warfare. My class is winning."

It's hard to argue that his sentiment isn't true. Middle class and lower class incomes have stagnated or fallen . . . while the wealthiest of Americans are gobbling up an ever bigger piece of the pie. If that sort of talk is class warfare, so be it. It also happens to be factually correct.

• Fire 2

And why is that? If you are referring to billionares paying 15 % in taxes that is misleading. That is for capital gains taxes, not for regular income. And the money they put into the stock market is already taxed once, you know that, right. Now, 15 % of their profits is not enough and you want more. They risk their capital, that is alot different than getting wages that are guarenteed. And the flip side is they can loose three or four hundred thousand dollars in a year. You know how much they can claim for a loss, 3,000 dollars. Now, would you be willing to take that chance with your paycheck? :ahhhhhhhh

Capital gains should be taxed at least as high as income. They did nothing to earn that money. Nothing. Writing a check is not work. Before the 90s it was taxed at a might higher rate than it is now. It needs to go back to that.

class warfare

Do you really believe that Obama is engaged in class warfare?

Yes, he is using it to get reelected.

He doesn't have to. The Republicans have done such a great job in the past 6 months of making themselves look like gigantic f'tards. In their quest to find somebody to beat Obama, they've knocked the living hell out of each other and destroying any credibility along the way.

If Obama doesn't beat the ass off of whoever he runs against, then his campaign strategists should get a job at Chuckie Cheese...

This is funny considering the exact thing was happening four years ago with the Demoncratic party. If he would get re-elected it would be a sad day for America. I then I would hope to God that we would not get involved with Iran and the problems there. He would not be the man for the job. Oh yeah IMO

This is funny considering the exact thing was happening four years ago with the Demoncratic party. If he would get re-elected it would be a sad day for America. I then I would hope to God that we would not get involved with Iran and the problems there. He would not be the man for the job. Oh yeah IMO

Four years ago the Republicans inflicted a McCain/Palin ticket on America. Do you mean eight years ago, when the Democrats went with.... wait a minute.... who was that........ Kerry and... <gives up, googles the answer> John Edwards! Yikes. I am getting old if I can't remember that. (I seriously had to think about it to remember Kerry and I had to google to find Edwards)

Regardless, neither party has had a "good" candidate in a looooong time. Kind of sad, considering what's at stake.

Four years ago the Republicans inflicted a McCain/Palin ticket on America. Do you mean eight years ago, when the Democrats went with.... wait a minute.... who was that........ Kerry and... <gives up, googles the answer> John Edwards! Yikes. I am getting old if I can't remember that. (I seriously had to think about it to remember Kerry and I had to google to find Edwards)

Regardless, neither party has had a "good" candidate in a looooong time. Kind of sad, considering what's at stake.

LMAO yes sorry. My point being every election it happens no matter what side