Big Ten idea: national football playoff with home games

Nexus

The Big Ten is not only ready to listen to proposals regarding a national four-team football playoff, league and school officials are kicking around an intriguing idea.

Sources told the Tribune that a Big Ten plan would remove the top four teams from the BCS bowl pool and have semifinal games played on the college campus of the higher seed. That would do away with the facade of “neutral” sites such as New Orleans, Miami and Pasadena, Calif., and ease travel concern for fans.

The championship game then could be bid out, like the Super Bowl.

Continue Reading

One step closer to the 16 or maybe even 18 team super conferences. Once the four super conferences are filled, everyone else will get left out because whatever four are left will demand their champion is in the playoff. So if four big conferences have a championship game as well, it would more or less be an 8 team playoff which would sound about right to me. I'm just so very glad Nebraska got out of the Big 12 and into the BIG when it did, instead of scrambling to get into whatever is left when this happens. I'm sure Mizzou and Colorado are thinking the same thing. This may also kick ND in the rear to finally join the BIG.

No irony in the quote about how they now need to "listen to the fans"........ :hellloooo ....................eh.............couldn't have ANYTHING to do with the lower ratings..............what a load of hypocrites.............!

Although it will be awesome to have the fair weather teams AND fans have to come north......................(of course now we have to do OUR part)

How fun it would be to see some deep south kids get to play in Memorial Stadium when the temp is 5 degrees and the grounds staff has removed 6" of snow off the field.

Or if it's like this winter, it'll be sunny, 65, and they'll have the mist coolers on the sidelines, and the deep south kids'll say "ha, joke's on you"

This will make me sound like a debbie downer, but if this playoff had been in effect forever the last time a B1G school would have even been involved was 07-08.

Even if this does happen I wouldn't expect to see SEC teams up north all that often.

Exactly. Southern teams won't be coming North as much as they think they will. Since the SEC is regarded as College Football's Conference i see how this doesn't benefit anyone except them. this year's title game proved that the SEC is thought of better than any other conference.

It won't happen often, but it will happen every couple of years that an SEC team has to travel to the north and play in the cold. This is the only good way to go about a playoff. If you have it at 2 neutral sites, fans will not be able to travel to both games, so you will end up with 2 things:

1) a half-empty semifinals crowd because fans would rather watch their team play in the NC game

2) a crowd dominated by SEC fans, even more so than in bowl games now.

T.O. said yesterday (on the possibility of southern teams having to come north).................the idea makes me very, very, very, very happy.......!

(of course he referenced Miami in the Orange, Florida St in the Orange, LSU in the Sugar, and Arizona St in the Fiesta, et. al.............)