Behind scenes with top recruit

Say what you will about Bleacher Report this article offered some pretty good insights to the recruiting process. It was also nice to see some of it through the eyes of the parents. The journey on how Beckham made his choice:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Dorial-Green-Beckham-inside-the-chase-for-nations-top-recruit-020112

edit: fixed link

Edited by BIGREDFAN_in_OMAHA
  • Fire 1

Link didnt work for me..this one did thou

http://msn.foxsports...-recruit-020112

Edit. After reading i was shocked. What these schools go through to get players is remarkable. Arkansas' recruiting tactics are terrible. Offering a scholly to thier fresman brother. Wow. Tevin Mitchell fell for this crap or we would have another great corner. Im glad Siesay didnt fall for it. The SEC is terrible and i bet you this is nothing compared to what really happens. All his mom had to say to the booster was "well we are having some financial hardship" and they would have gotten paid by the Arkansas booster. Offering to make a donation to his HS, i dont know how they get away with this crap.

All i know is im glad to be a Husker fan and do things the right way. Good kids like Siesay, Rose will eventually come here and we will win with character and heart. It will just take a little longer then some of us would like, and in the end we can say we did it the right way with a great bunch of kids.

• Fire 1

It really points out the importance of game day atmosphere. At OU they were sitting down most of the blowout game! Also saw where OU coaches told on Petrino for his talk with Beckham. That made it official so he couldn't attend the in home. He would have for sure if not reported. Wonder how many times this happens? You know not all coaches get caught doing this.

The one that caught me was how "fans sitting down" when Oklahoma was winning stood out to the family.

how about how ultimately it was a Mizzou basketball game that sold him on the Tigers. I wonder how much better our recruiting would be if we had a top 25ish basketball team that sold out every game. A large portion of these "officials" are done not during football season, but during basketball season. We have to get our kids in early for a football game, then wait while a half-dozen other schools move in. I think the new arena is going to help football recruiting as much as it will basketball. Best decision Lincoln has made in a long time in my out-of-state opinion.

Edit. After reading i was shocked. What these schools go through to get players is remarkable. Arkansas' recruiting tactics are terrible. Offering a scholly to thier fresman brother. Wow. Tevin Mitchell fell for this crap or we would have another great corner. Im glad Siesay didnt fall for it. The SEC is terrible and i bet you this is nothing compared to what really happens. All his mom had to say to the booster was "well we are having some financial hardship" and they would have gotten paid by the Arkansas booster. Offering to make a donation to his HS, i dont know how they get away with this crap.

All i know is im glad to be a Husker fan and do things the right way. Good kids like Siesay, Rose will eventually come here and we will win with character and heart. It will just take a little longer then some of us would like, and in the end we can say we did it the right way with a great bunch of kids.

This. I would much rather Bo and co. do it the right way. It would be embarassing to be in some of these schools shoes when they get caught.

John Beckham called schools that did not make his son’s cut and told them they had been eliminated. Some coaches weren’t ready to give up, like Southern California’s Lane Kiffin, who pleaded for Dorial to at least visit.

He was kind of like the girlfriend that’s just like, ‘This is just a phase you’re going through, you really don’t want to break up with me,’ Tracy Beckham said.

HAHAHA!!! Lane Kiffin is a tool.

• Fire 1

This. I would much rather Bo and co. do it the right way. It would be embarassing to be in some of these schools shoes when they get caught.

I'm with both of you. DBG parents handled his recruitment very well. They seen through much of the BS that far too many prospects and their families give into.

I'm with both of you. DBG parents handled his recruitment very well. They seen through much of the BS that far too many prospects and their families give into.

Yeah they did. The thing is we probably didn't even get half of the stuff that was said or tried to be given for one not enough time I would suppose, and two fear of getting their kid or a college in trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

stuff like this is also something I noted.

John Beckham decided he didn’t want Dorial to play at one school after he saw a coach slam a headset at the end of the game instead of simply handing it to a waiting assistant.

:) minor in comparison to Nebraska haha...

Bizarre. I wonder what these recruits are thinking. These two stories caught my eye today and I remembered this headset incident.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2012/2/17/2803921/penn-state-junior-day-interview-boeing-brown-quarterback

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/02/16/tcu.football.recruiting/index.html?sct=cf_t11_a2

If my son wanted to go to TCU or PSU I would say NO!!!

John Beckham decided he didn’t want Dorial to play at one school after he saw a coach slam a headset at the end of the game instead of simply handing it to a waiting assistant.

Bizarre. I wonder what these recruits are thinking. These two stories caught my eye today and I remembered this headset incident.

http://www.blackshoe...own-quarterback

http://sportsillustr...l?sct=cf_t11_a2

I just read those articles. Just wondering why you would say no. I guess I would rather not have my kid go to PSU because of everything that has gone on there, but if he did, I wouldn't have a huge problem with that.

http://www.blackshoe...own-quarterback

http://sportsillustr...l?sct=cf_t11_a2

I just read those articles. Just wondering why you would say no. I guess I would rather not have my kid go to PSU because of everything that has gone on there, but if he did, I wouldn't have a huge problem with that.

I don't want to derail the topic so I'll keep it short. What Sandusky did was horrible but it was one person and I wouldn't hold PSU to blame. What happened in response concerns me: The cover-up by the administration. The delaying of arrests until after JoePa got his all time win record (too much of a coincidence and shows PSU's influence extends beyond the university). More concern by PSU fans to JoePa's firing then children being molested. All of these indicate an environment where bad things were allowed to happen and continues to exist. Too much importance is placed on football at PSU. Most if not all PSU fans are more concerned about who the next coach will be instead of what kind of systemic changes should be made to prevent similar things from happening again. This environment allowed football players to beat up some students and not be disciplined. Want that to be your kid? Nebraskans put a lot of importance on the football team but I hope the reaction to child molestation and coverup would be totally different. I for one would be very vocal advocating that UNL clean house, pass laws or whatever it takes to guarantee something similar couldn't happen again and a change in attitude toward football.