For the love of God, Tom!!

I can't believe he gave DS a contract extension this year. That decision equates the the monumental flub of giving BC an extension before his final year.

Sad part is . . . I think TO is feeling the same way. Seems to be some thought he might step down and let the new AD hire a BBall coach rather than wait 2 years. Seems to be a thought that he might worry a good BBall coach wouldn't be interested if he knew his boss that hired him was leaving in 2 years and the next guy might not want him.

For that reason Doc might get another year if he can show any type of fight. I however thinks he's done and we see either TO walk away or we see him sign a 4-5 year or a third possiblity is that we announce TO will be done in 2 years and higher the AD in waiting to help make the choice. The third would be a very strong possiblity.

Wow............the third option you presented would be armageddon.................there would be more empty seats in the Bob next year than if we held a "welcome back" reception for Pedey......................

You think TO leaving would lead to empty seats at the devaney? People are going to the Devaney to what......sit NEAR Tom Osborne?

NO..............if delaying jettisonning Doc for a couple of years so a new A.D. could make the decision......................THAT would cause an empty house.........................

I dont think anyone couldve forseen what was going to happen this year. Between injuries and a new conference it has just overwhelmed this team and staff, and now wheels have completely fallen off. I think it's safe to say that that extension was given for the sake of continuity going into the new facilities, and he had been doing a respectable job, flirted with 20 wins for most years. Sometimes you have to gamble and put faith in a person by means of an extension/raise in order to continue to get improvement out of them, though sometimes it backfires. We just happen to have witnessed two of the largest backfires ever in the last half decade. But seriously, dont think we're the only place that has had coaches flop in the next year or two after a raise/extension.

And I thought your comments in the other thread was dumb. No one could have seen this? I did. And apparently so did most major sports magazines, since they predicted that we'd finish 11th in the conference. I think you and Tom are the only ones actually surprised by this.

Well aint you just a fricken genius. Great how you pop on here now and say "i knew this was gonna happen" and "i saw this coming" AFTER it has happened. :clap The point is that a possible losing season is something that was unexpected. Everyone knew the conference schedule would be a struggle but the expectation of 17-20 wins wasnt out of reach. Now we're not even gonna get to 15.

You must be a politician huh?

Would that I could time travel, but I wasn't a member of this board before the season started. You keep claiming "no one" saw this coming. People did. Just because you didn't doesn't mean it was incomprehensible. Again....national magazines had us finishing one spot from the bottom of the conference. Knowing that...posting a losing record was far from a long shot.

One pretty much back's up the other.

What my point was is that I dont think many expected this team to be this BAD. Losing games is one things, but this team is not even competitive.

So it's not possible to finish in the bottom half of a conference and still attain 17-20 wins? :facepalm:

See "Nebraska Men's basketball program" Theyve been doing it for decades. Hell, the entire Doc era falls under this category.

I bet if Diaz and Almeida are healthy this year this team is flirting with 20 wins. I am in agreement that it's time to make a coaching change. I dont want that to get lost in all this.

"One pretty much back's up the other."

What the hell are you talking about?

"So it's not possible to finish in the bottom half of a conference and still attain 17-20 wins?"

It's pretty freaking unheard of to finish 11th in a 12 team conference and post 20 wins. Go look at the records of 10th and 11th placed teams this year. How many are even SNIFFING 20 wins.

I don't know what the hell you're even arguing at this point. You're what...(mad?) that I had zero confidence in Doc coming into the season? That I watched the last few years and was very, very confident in my assertion that this would be another lost season? Believe it or not, I was freaking LIVID that Doc was given an extension at the end of last season because I saw no reason to expect any better than the product we have today. Did I think our losses would be as embarrassing as they have been? No, but this record is pretty much what I figured it would be. And my point is, you seem to want to claim I'm lying, because this was so unexpected. I'll say it again. Plenty of major magazines predicted us to finish in the cellar of the conference. It's not my or their fault that you couldn't see the reality of the situation.

What can I say, I like to argue, right or wrong. Seems like youre the one gettin bent out of shape. Them magazines that are so right all the time that said we'd finish 11th, are those the same ones that said the football team would roll through the Legends division and win the Big 10 title?

And if they were? Your assertion is that no one saw this coming. You're just flat wrong.

What can I say, I like to argue, right or wrong. Seems like youre the one gettin bent out of shape. Them magazines that are so right all the time that said we'd finish 11th, are those the same ones that said the football team would roll through the Legends division and win the Big 10 title?

And if they were? Your assertion is that no one saw this coming. You're just flat wrong.

Damnit. Why does this keep happening. :ahhhhhhhh

The contract extension was a big mistake. And it's the kind of scenario we're seeing all too often in athletics these days. It's almost as if both the coach and AD know the coach is on the way out, so they cook up the extension and buyout as a golden parachute. It's weird.

Its only a mistake in retrospect. At the time I thought it was ok. We had a few nice wins dispite injuries. We looked to be moving forward with a very mature team age wise that was clicking well off the court. Doc was making some inways recruiting that needed to show we were behind this guy and we were building for the future with the new facilites etc. I don't think we thought we'd have an even worse year with injuries or that we'd spiral like we have and just not be competitive at all in the B10.

Except that his previous contract was good for another three years when we renewed it last year. There was no rush to get the contract redone, especially since we weren't fishing for any big recruiting targets for whom such an extension would be a big deal.

Who are our "big fish" that we're trying to recruit? Who would need that kind of contract extension assurance to sign with Nebraska? I don't follow basketball much so if there's someone out there we're after, feel free to educate me.

Because you aren't very bright? That's my guess

The contract extension was a big mistake. And it's the kind of scenario we're seeing all too often in athletics these days. It's almost as if both the coach and AD know the coach is on the way out, so they cook up the extension and buyout as a golden parachute. It's weird.

Its only a mistake in retrospect.

No. it wasn't. It was a mistake at the time it happened.

Because you aren't very bright? That's my guess

There's no need for comments like that. Feel free to disagree, but keep the comments to the subject at hand. If you'd like to make things a little more personal you need to do that in the Woodshed. PM me if you don't have the password to the Shed. You can call people names to your heart's content in the Shed, but here we're going to focus on the topic. Groovy?

I guess we'll disagree. Having talked with TO shortly there after there were several reasons and it was easy to agree with him.

I guess we'll disagree. Having talked with TO shortly there after there were several reasons and it was easy to agree with him.

Obviously he had his reasons. If he had others that he didn't voice in public, I'd love to hear what they are. There was no reason to resign Doc in order to keep him from leaving, and recruiting wasn't aided by keeping him around either. It was a terrible decision.