For the love of God, Tom!!

What can I say, I like to argue, right or wrong. Seems like youre the one gettin bent out of shape. Them magazines that are so right all the time that said we'd finish 11th, are those the same ones that said the football team would roll through the Legends division and win the Big 10 title?

And if they were? Your assertion is that no one saw this coming. You're just flat wrong.

Somebody told me that once. I put it in my sig line. And I dumped her.

Goobercolon- the newest Husker expert.

Had it worked and certain players woulda stayed healthy and the team woulda been decent would you be preaching how nice it is we have Doc sewed for more years to get into the new arena? I guess you would. I can already see youre one of them kinda people. Claiming you had it all figured out AFTER the dust settles.

All my point is that injuries to a certain few have really hamstringed this years team and Doc was making progress, very slowly. The extension was a mistake, we know that now, esp when he already had 3 years left. But dont sit there and say you knew this team was going to be this bad and uncompetitive.

The contract extension was a big mistake. And it's the kind of scenario we're seeing all too often in athletics these days. It's almost as if both the coach and AD know the coach is on the way out, so they cook up the extension and buyout as a golden parachute. It's weird.

Its only a mistake in retrospect.

No. it wasn't. It was a mistake at the time it happened.

I guess we'll disagree. Having talked with TO shortly there after there were several reasons and it was easy to agree with him.

Obviously he had his reasons. If he had others that he didn't voice in public, I'd love to hear what they are. There was no reason to resign Doc in order to keep him from leaving, and recruiting wasn't aided by keeping him around either. It was a terrible decision.

Actually a large portion of the reworking of it was to keep him. Texas Tech had come calling as well as one other major school.

Had it worked and certain players woulda stayed healthy and the team woulda been decent would you be preaching how nice it is we have Doc sewed for more years to get into the new arena? I guess you would. I can already see youre one of them kinda people. Claiming you had it all figured out AFTER the dust settles.

All my point is that injuries to a certain few have really hamstringed this years team and Doc was making progress, very slowly. The extension was a mistake, we know that now, esp when he already had 3 years left. But dont sit there and say you knew this team was going to be this bad and uncompetitive.

Injuries made us slightly worse. We still are not nor would have been a good team. For what seems like the 107th time, PUHLENTY of people knew this team wasn't going to be good. WE.WERE.PICKED.TO.FINISH.ELEVENTH.

How exactly do you define progress? Yes, last year was better than the epically bad year he had on 2009-2010. Doc has never finished higher than 7th in the conference. We finished the season losing five of our last six games. We got DESTROYED in the first round of the NIT.

Where you and Tom see progress, plenty of others saw a race towards mediocrity. That he was awarded for. Now we have a freshman class that Doc himself says isn't good enough to play in the Big Ten. This if after YEARS of awful recruiting and the supposed improvement there.

Where the hell is the progress?

By the way, if you had actually bothered to read what I wrote, I clearly said I didn't know they would be THIS embarrassing. I had a very strong hunch they were going to be bad, because I don't believe Doc Sadler is a remotely good coach. That isn't a new or unheard of opinion either, though I'm sure you'll behave as if it was.

Injuries made us slightly worse. We still are not nor would have been a good team. For what seems like the 107th time, PUHLENTY of people knew this team wasn't going to be good. WE.WERE.PICKED.TO.FINISH.ELEVENTH.

How exactly do you define progress? Yes, last year was better than the epically bad year he had on 2009-2010. Doc has never finished higher than 7th in the conference. We finished the season losing five of our last six games. We got DESTROYED in the first round of the NIT.

Where you and Tom see progress, plenty of others saw a race towards mediocrity. That he was awarded for. Now we have a freshman class that Doc himself says isn't good enough to play in the Big Ten. This if after YEARS of awful recruiting and the supposed improvement there.

By the way, if you had actually bothered to read what I wrote, I clearly said I didn't know they would be THIS embarrassing. I had a very strong hunch they were going to be bad, because I don't believe Doc Sadler is a remotely good coach. That isn't a new or unheard of opinion either, though I'm sure you'll behave as if it was.

:blink: Are we talking about the same sport? I'm talking about the basketball team. Nebraska fricking basketball, and youre worried about it "becoming" mediocre. Hell, I wish it was that good. You have PUHLENTY of perspective.

Except that his previous contract was good for another three years when we renewed it last year. There was no rush to get the contract redone, especially since we weren't fishing for any big recruiting targets for whom such an extension would be a big deal.

Who are our "big fish" that we're trying to recruit? Who would need that kind of contract extension assurance to sign with Nebraska? I don't follow basketball much so if there's someone out there we're after, feel free to educate me.

fwiw.........I had heard the extension was to mollify and assure the local prospects....ie. Gessel ........and Akoi (sp??) from Central that Doc would be here in an attempt to keep the few D-1 local prospects in play.............

we saw how that worked out with Gessel......................... :facepalm: ........................... and the verdict is still out on Akoi............

lf true, that was a short-sighted policy because I very much doubt recruits first question is ..................."is Doc going to be here 3 years or can you promise me 4 or more"............

I would suggest that a recruit looks more at STYLE OF PLAY along with early opportunity as major factors...............jmho................

Except that his previous contract was good for another three years when we renewed it last year. There was no rush to get the contract redone, especially since we weren't fishing for any big recruiting targets for whom such an extension would be a big deal.

Who are our "big fish" that we're trying to recruit? Who would need that kind of contract extension assurance to sign with Nebraska? I don't follow basketball much so if there's someone out there we're after, feel free to educate me.

fwiw.........I had heard the extension was to mollify and assure the local prospects....ie. Gessel ........and Akoi (sp??) from Central that Doc would be here in an attempt to keep the few D-1 local prospects in play.............

we saw how that worked out with Gessel......................... :facepalm: ........................... and the verdict is still out on Akoi............

lf true, that was a short-sighted policy because I very much doubt recruits first question is ..................."is Doc going to be here 3 years or can you promise me 4 or more"............

I would suggest that a recruit looks more at STYLE OF PLAY along with early opportunity as major factors...............jmho................

And I would bet my farm that the recent abundance of Mike Fox appearences is not helping this situation.

My point was that there was no reason to fight to keep him. He's not good. We should have allowed him to be someone else's problem.

Again. . .thats a matter of opinion on if he's viewed as a good coach or not. To me it says a lot more about how hard the NU job is since Doc has an average record at best here yet recieved non fabricated attention from two major schools. Doing average here is seen as a very difficult thing by the rest of the country. I guess we could liken it to Turner doing well at Buffalo. Its seen as a near impossilbe task. Too me that's pretty scary. I'm supprised the guy came here at all with the crappy facilites that we had. Little to no fan support and the vast majority of booster support only caring about football. As MB how tough it was to get people to listen to him about needing things to actually have a BBall program not look like a D-II set up.

• Fire 1

My point was that there was no reason to fight to keep him. He's not good. We should have allowed him to be someone else's problem.

Again. . .thats a matter of opinion on if he's viewed as a good coach or not. To me it says a lot more about how hard the NU job is since Doc has an average record at best here yet recieved non fabricated attention from two major schools. Doing average here is seen as a very difficult thing by the rest of the country. I guess we could liken it to Turner doing well at Buffalo. Its seen as a near impossilbe task. Too me that's pretty scary. I'm supprised the guy came here at all with the crappy facilites that we had. Little to no fan support and the vast majority of booster support only caring about football. As MB how tough it was to get people to listen to him about needing things to actually have a BBall program not look like a D-II set up.

Don't disagree. You dont know anything. :o This is not a stepping stone job. It is a great program on the serious brink of mediocrity.

:blink: Are we talking about the same sport? I'm talking about the basketball team. Nebraska fricking basketball, and youre worried about it "becoming" mediocre. Hell, I wish it was that good. You have PUHLENTY of perspective.

eyeswear2allthatsholy

I'm done with you. You claim no one saw a season this bad, yet you admit the program isn't in good shape. You claim there's progress, then act like I'm an idiot for not wanting to celebrate that mediocrity. You admitted earlier you like to argue. I would imagine this is little more than trolling me at this point.

Have a good one.

I dont think anyone couldve forseen what was going to happen this year. Between injuries and a new conference it has just overwhelmed this team and staff, and now wheels have completely fallen off. I think it's safe to say that that extension was given for the sake of continuity going into the new facilities, and he had been doing a respectable job, flirted with 20 wins for most years. Sometimes you have to gamble and put faith in a person by means of an extension/raise in order to continue to get improvement out of them, though sometimes it backfires. We just happen to have witnessed two of the largest backfires ever in the last half decade. But seriously, dont think we're the only place that has had coaches flop in the next year or two after a raise/extension.

I would've thought a contract extention would be warranted if the team wins a conference championship...maybe beats a team in the top 5...makes the NCAA tournament...didn't see anything close to any of this. Guess the standards are just that low. I think I'm going to apply for head basketball coach. The bar has been set way below zero, and that matches my coaching abilities.

fwiw... this happened. #2 Texas

Not that there was a good chance at landing most of them, but here are the guys towards the beginning of the recruiting process that had offers and put NU on their list: (rivals ranking, name, position)

18 Archie Goodwin SG

26 Torian Graham SG

96 Siyani Chambers PG

105 Adam Woodbury C

116 Mike Gesell SG

130 Dorial Green-Beckham SF

135 Charles Mann SG (didn't have an offer last I knew)

138 Marcus Hunt SF

Again, not saying they had a chance at any of these (except the obvious two) but you had asked about big fish recruits.