I like Al Jazeera!

HSKR

Does that make me a bad person? :mellow:

I'm sure they have bias just like everyone else but I like their style. First off, it's nice that they stream live on the internet. I'll never figure out why the other news networks don't do that even with cable contracts. Unlike American networks, it's nice they don't spend 75% of the broadcast having pundits tell us what we should think. It's also refreshing that they concentrate on real world news issues, in particular I notice they have a lot of stories that I find interesting from Africa and South America that you never ever hear about on our networks because they are too busy talking about the Kardashians, Casey Anthony or Micheal Jackson's doctor. But most importantly what I like is when they do a story, it is really in depth and explains why people are doing what they are, not just that they are doing it. I feel like I actually learn something when I watch their news.

I don't think this makes you a bad person. They are a media outfit, not a terrorist organization. They are an Arabic news organization and I think anti-American bias, if it exists, is probably little different than any anti-Arabic bias that might exist in the news media here.

I don't think this makes you a bad person. They are a media outfit, not a terrorist organization. They are an Arabic news organization and I think anti-American bias, if it exists, is probably little different than any anti-Arabic bias that might exist in the news media here.

What anti-American bias?

Yes they were the only major media outlet to call bullsh#t on Bush's war in Iraq in 2002, and they had their Baghdad office bombed for that act of defiance... but they are not anti-American.

One of the best features they cover is the Doha Debates.

For the first two weeks of the egyption revolution last year you could watch everything live on al-jazeera and I thought to myself, this is going to take off in the US since we cant actually see what is going on in the middle east in realtime instead of only once every 24 hours watching the nightly news corrospondents checks in.

It hasn't totally taken over yet, but it is "hilariously" a more fair and balanced right wing channel then fox news. That's the muslim news channel, in broadcast over the arab states, more balanced then fox news. and that's no sh#t.

• 1 year later...

I would like to share a comment from my business partner about Al-Jazeera. He is a 4 time Iraq/Afghanistan war vet and saw more than his share of lives lost while there. His military specialty while there was of an extremely dangerous nature.

Does anyone ever wonder how they get footage of Al-Qaeda bombing convoy's or other things like this? Al-Qaeda pays Al-Jazeera videographers and journalists to be at certain places at certain times to capture the footage. Then they take it to Al-Jazeera to be broadcast on their network. These employees know where and when bombs are going to go off and they warn nobody so that they can film the destruction. My business partner has experienced this first hand.

Take this how you want. In my opinion it was worthy of the conversation.